Choosing Our First Family Dog

Peatful

Brief background:

I grew up with a mutt; we were close. Husband grew up with cats. We have happy and healthy children and they are ready for a new addition to our family.
We all are ready; but I don’t take this decision lightly.
We will get one from the shelter or animal rescue.

Questions:

-what do you wish you considered prior to getting your dog?
I’m looking for nuances and generalizations here. Anything you think is relevant.
-how do you feel about genders? Preference?
-what are the advantages of a puppy vs older?
-we don’t have a fence. Thoughts?
-besides lots of love; how do we give our dog a strong healthy foundation?
-really would love to hear any wisdom from you owners.

Amazoniac

- Noise Sensitivities in Dogs: An Exploration of Signs in Dogs with and without Musculoskeletal Pain Using Qualitative Content Analysis

"[..]dogs may have a lower auditory pain threshold (approximately 95 dB) (23) compared to humans (approximately 130 dB) (24). Therefore, it is likely that if owners perceive the noises to be loud, it would also be loud and potentially painful for their dogs[.]"​

Same for olfact. Your skin lotion or floor cleaner could poison its senses for profit.

You could try to reach a consensus between the dog and family where it tolerates more stimulus than ideal and the family annuls part of how life is experienced for its well-being. I doubt that it is going to be willing to discuss anything, therefore your side prevails.

upload_2020-6-6_16-37-31.png

Last edited:
OP
Peatful

Peatful

- Noise Sensitivities in Dogs: An Exploration of Signs in Dogs with and without Musculoskeletal Pain Using Qualitative Content Analysis

"[..]dogs may have a lower auditory pain threshold (approximately 95 dB) (23) compared to humans (approximately 130 dB) (24). Therefore, it is likely that if owners perceive the noises to be loud, it would also be loud and potentially painful for their dogs[.]"​

Same for olfact. Your skin lotion or floor cleaner could poison its senses for profit.

You could try to reach a consensus between the dog and family where it tolerates more stimulus than ideal and the family annuls part of how life is experienced for its well-being. I doubt that it is going to be willing to discuss anything, therefore your side prevails.

thanks for this.
Good data.
Cute dog. Yours?

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
My dog does have sensitive hearing so I put her in another room when I vacuum. I thought it was just the noise but if she hears it differently it is no wonder she shakes her head.

A puppy is like a baby and will need extra attention. And they have sharp baby teeth that will cause some pain.
We don’t have a fenced yard. I take my dog many places always on leash.
Many little dogs bark a lot.
A dog wants to be included in all family things so especially if you get an older dog it should get to be with you as much as possible even if it seems like more work for you. In the long run you will like that the dog was always there.
There are lots of training videos, classes, and books that make everything fun.
My dog doesn’t like other dogs except in buildings. So be aware of what your dog is wary of.

kyle

Rescues are a bit of an issue in most cases. My cousin adopted a very cute dog that was badly abused. Having a dog cowering about and leaving a wake of destruction and smells got overwhelming. Her husband was offering to pay me good money if I'd take it.

Shelter animals are likewise have their own challenges, unless its a puppy. Part of the bonding experience is left out and training is harder.

Part of the joy of dog ownership is seeing it grow, training, playing and it can be mutual learning esp for kids.

And get a fence. And no pitbulls. To think a dog bred to immobilize boar is a pet.

Mutts are a safe choice. Usually the doggiest of dogs and balanced temperments for a home. A lot of dog breeding practices a bit suspect but thats a different topic.

Anyway just let your kids pick out a puppy. :lol: And congrats!

Regina

Brief background:

I grew up with a mutt; we were close. Husband grew up with cats. We have happy and healthy children and they are ready for a new addition to our family.

Questions:

I’m looking for nuances and generalizations here. Anything you think is relevant.
all my dogs have come from rescues or one dog I found abandoned.
I've loved them all dearly but there have been health problems. Some I knew I was getting to.
Others not.
The dog I have now suffered extreme vaccinosis. It's been a long road getting him healthy.
Now he's 14. But he lost a lot of years where we could've been doing agility and a lot more games and trekking.

You might consider getting a puppy from a "natural" breeder.
NaturalRearing.com ~ Breeders Directory

There's a drop down field with a long list of breeds.
I think a good easy family dog is a vizsla.

YamnayaMommy

We have had two rescue dogs, both border collie mixes.

We had children AFTER dogs, and it’s been okay, although a lot of work. You need to be prepared, if you live in the city, to do at least three or four walks a day. This can be hard to do if you have little kids around. Some of the most difficult moments, in my life, by far, have been getting the babies and toddlers all bundled up so we can go walk our active border collie in a Chicago winter.

if you have a good rescue shelter around, they should be able to point you to dogs that will be family friendly and relatively easy.

Nicole W.

Brief background:

Questions:

I’ve had lots of dogs throughout my life. All rescues except one from a puppy mill ( I didn’t realize it at the time). I currently have three dogs, all with disabilities. These are the things that I find to be generally true about dogs:

Dogs are basically permanent toddlers. Psychoemotionally and intelligence wise they top out at about 3 years old. If you have small children you’ll start to notice the parallels.

Female dogs are more needy for attention and companionship, but are also more cuddly than their male counterparts.

Large dogs are slow learners compared to the Littles ( of course there are breed exceptions like German Shepherds or Poodles) and they take longer to grow up. Labs and Goldens take 4 years to reach maturity. They tend not to live that long so a chunk of their lifespan will be a long “childhood”. That can be frustrating for some since they may only have 5-6 years left after they “grow up”.

The smaller breeds ( especially terriers) can be a little neurotic and they tend to bark A LOT. It can be corrected but it takes consistency and considerable effort. Otherwise, they are pretty cute and incredibly loyal, easier to care for, less expensive to feed.

If you don’t have a fence, don’t get a breed with a strong chase instinct. Terriers, Shiba Inus etc... Literally, you’ll never see them again.

Golden Retrievers are the nicest people you’ll ever know but that exact quality predisposes them to cancer. Big time.

Don’t discount Pitt Bulls. They are wonderful family dogs, especially if you get one as a puppy. Trust me, they are real lovers, generally very sweet dogs. Unfortunately, they’ve been severely and undeservedly maligned. The ones that I’ve had and have know have all been wonderful. I love that breed.

Think ahead, at some point your dog will get old and sick.
Have you ever lifted a very sick 80 or 90 lb. dog into the car and rushed him to the vet 3 times a week for months on end? I have and honestly it sucks. When a big dog is sick there is bigger messes, which are harder to manage especially when you have kids to also contend with. When you have a ten pound maltipoo, everything is infinitely easier.
Dogs have feelings! They can laugh, be mad/ frustrated, be jealous of their canine sibling... pretty much all the stuff you see with little kids.
Also, dogs will identify you as mom or dad.

These are just things that came to me off the top of my head... if you have any specific questions I’d be happy to try and answer them.

OP
Peatful

Peatful

To each one of you thus far: thank you.

To those who have responded- or any one coming in-

Would two sibling dogs be overall a good consideration?
So they have each other; to help with the transition; always having a playmate; one for each kid (middle school and grade school btw- I can’t imagine getting dogs before now age wise!)

Please advise?

Last edited:

Regina

To each one of you thus far: thank you!

So they have each other; to help with the transition; always having a playmate; one for each kid (middle school and grade school btw- I can’t imagine getting dogs before now age wise!)

Please advise?
I would not do that. You don't want to be a zookeeper.
You guys are the dog's family.

OP
Peatful

Peatful

I would not do that. You don't want to be a zookeeper.
You guys are the dog's family.
Excellent.
Just what I needed to hear.

Nicole W.

To each one of you thus far: thank you!

Please advise?
Do you mean actual siblings? Getting 2 puppies from the same litter? I’ve been told that it’s better to get one dog at a time so that they bond to you and not the other dog ( from the start). I think this is rational and important . Also, you need 6 months to a year to get to know the puppy and for the puppy to get to know your family. After that you can bring a new dog home and slowly introduce him to the first dog and your family. He might be mad at first but I find dogs appreciate a friend or buddy.

That being said, my dogs love each other. All dogs are pack animals so they are happier together vs. being alone. Also, the second dog will be much easier to train because the first dog will show him the ropes.

OP
Peatful

Peatful

Do you mean actual siblings? Getting 2 puppies from the same litter? I’ve been told that it’s better to get one dog at a time so that they bond to you and not the other dog ( from the start). I think this is rational and important . Also, you need 6 months to a year to get to know the puppy and for the puppy to get to know your family. After that you can bring a new dog home and slowly introduce him to the first dog and your family. He might be mad at first but I find dogs appreciate a friend or buddy.

That being said, my dogs love each other. All dogs are pack animals so they are happier together vs. being alone. Also, the second dog will be much easier to train because the first dog will show him the ropes.
Correct; two pups from the same litter.

On our rescue site you see puppies where the mom died or they found an abandoned litter or however they get a bunch of puppy siblings.
Naively I thought it would be easier for the dogs adjustment short term- and their quality of life together long term.
What you have said is very helpful.

Nicole W.

Correct; two pups from the same litter.

On our rescue site you see puppies where the mom died or they found an abandoned litter or however they get a bunch of puppy siblings.
Naively I thought it would be easier for the dogs adjustment short term- and their quality of life together long term.
What you have said is very helpful.
In the case of two older dogs having already bonded in their previous home, the rescue organization will likely insist that you take both dogs because they are “family” even if they technically aren’t related. But I’m the case of litter mates you can separate them without traumatizing them. I think having multiple dogs is great as long as you and your family are up for it. It’s neat to see their personalities and friendships emerge.
Also, I wanted to say that my children have really benefited from having pets as they were growing up. They had to learn early on how to take care of someone other than themselves, which is something caring for a pet teaches you. It was a very positive experience for our family.

OP
Peatful

Peatful

In the case of two older dogs having already bonded in their previous home, the rescue organization will likely insist that you take both dogs because they are “family” even if they technically aren’t related. But I’m the case of litter mates you can separate them without traumatizing them. I think having multiple dogs is great as long as you and your family are up for it. It’s neat to see their personalities and friendships emerge.
Also, I wanted to say that my children have really benefited from having pets as they were growing up. They had to learn early on how to take care of someone other than themselves, which is something caring for a pet teaches you. It was a very positive experience for our family.
Thx for taking the time to write.
I remember the closeness and sweetness I had with my dog growing up. He completed our family- he just made it better.
I want my kids to have that; even more so in such unsteady times.
But let’s face it- I, mom, am going to be the primary parent and caregiver of this dog.
I’m excited- but really want to be prepared pragmatically.

Nicole W.

Thx for taking the time to write.
I remember the closeness and sweetness I had with my dog growing up. He completed our family- he just made it better.
I want my kids to have that; even more so in such unsteady times.
But let’s face it- I, mom, am going to be the primary parent and caregiver of this dog.
I’m excited- but really want to be prepared pragmatically.
Yep, mom is the one who does the lion share of the work, but your dog will probably love you the best too! All that love and attention won’t go unnoticed, trust me. The time to have a dog is when you’re at home a lot. Raising kids involves being home a lot and so the timing is good. And your kids are old enough to provide real help as opposed to toddlers that can only do little things. You can be prepared for the basic necessities but there’s always things/ situations that come up that you didn’t anticipate... just like when you found yourself holding a baby for the first time. There’s a learning curve but the fact that you’re already a mom gives you a huge advantage in the improvisation department.

Goat-e

If you go for a puppy the best bit of advice I was given by an experienced trainer was ‘remember you’re not raising a puppy, you’re raising a dog.’

Behaviour which seems cute at three months can be a nightmare a year later, so much easier to not let unwanted behaviours start than trying to fix them down the line.

Affection is very important, but I think consistency and structure are too. I have high/drive working dogs (admittedly different from what you get), and they get lots of affection, but without a solid structure as well they can become pushy, entitled and frankly a pain in the butt to live with.

So be clear about what the dog/pup can do and be consistent. Then you’ll end up with a great companion.

Last edited:
OP
Peatful

Peatful

If you go for a puppy the best bit of advice I was given by an experienced trainer was ‘remember you’re not raising a puppy, you’re raising a dog.’

Behaviour which seems cute at three months can be a nightmare a year later, so much easier to not let unwanted behaviours start than trying to fix them down the line.

Affection is very important, but I think consistency and structure are too. I have high/drive working dogs (admittedly different from what you get), and they get lots of affection, but without a solid structure as well they can become pushy, entitled and frankly a pain in the butt to live with.

So be clear about what the dog/pup can do and be consistent. Then you’ll end up with a great companion.
So a new child; simply with fur.

My childhood dog- who we rescued when I was 6 years old- was chosen because we got there on his last day of life before being put down.
He was so sad. Without hope.

But... when he knew what we did for him he was the greatest, gentlest, most loving loyal dog ever. He never waned from his gratitude or love for us.

I would like that experience again- but know that may not be realistic.

Nicole W.

So a new child; simply with fur.

My childhood dog- who we rescued when I was 6 years old- was chosen because we got there on his last day of life before being put down.
He was so sad. Without hope.

But... when he knew what we did for him he was the greatest, gentlest, most loving loyal dog ever. He never waned from his gratitude or love for us.

I would like that experience again- but know that may not be realistic.
I think it is completely realistic to expect that experience again! It’s the very reason why people have dogs. To give love and receive it unconditionally. You typically can’t get that from human beings btw, haha. Dogs are wonderful pets, I’ve never regretted one dog I’ve had and believe me, I’ve had many over the years.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals