Choline: An Essential Nutrient for Public Health that we’re not getting enough of in our diet

David PS

We were discussing choline at page 4 of another thread and we thought it was worthy of its own thread.

According to the National Institutes of HealthTrusted Source, choline is an essential nutrient found in many foods. The brain and nervous system use it to regulate functions that include memory, mood, and muscle control. Choline is also needed to form the membranes that surround your body’s cells.

Although the body produces some choline in the liver, most of the choline we need comes from the food we eat. For some people with genetic snips that prevent them from making their own choline, all of the choline in the body comes from the diet.

TwoCopies.jpg
source

1659706804128.png
source

The source for the requirements in the chart can be found in the free version of Chapter 12 at
Choline - Dietary Reference Intakes for Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Vitamin B12, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, and Choline - NCBI Bookshelf

With such a widespread deficiency and with all of the dietary confusion, are you feeling lucky?

“Because of its wide-ranging roles in human metabolism, from cell structure to neurotransmitter synthesis, choline-deficiency is now thought to have an impact on diseases such as liver disease, atherosclerosis and possibly neurological disorders. Choline is found in a wide variety of foods. Egg yolks are the most concentrated source of choline in the American diet, providing 680 milligrams per 100 grams. “
Choline: An Essential Nutrient for Public Health

The Adequate Intake (AI) is a calculated “target value” to achieve for optimal health. The Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) is the value a healthy individual should not exceed. As you can see in this table, the spread between AI and UL for choline. The AI is only 22.2% of the UL and so there appears to be a large safety margin. The body seems to be very forgiving. It is as though choline is so important that it will tolerate overdoing it for a few days. Theoretically, I could eat 27eggs per day and still be under the UL for my age and sex.

Choline-DRI1.png
source

My interest in choline is for its long term protection of my brain. The brain shrinkage associated with Alzheimer's may be the result of a long term (meaning lifelong) deficiency of choline and acetylcholine. We have known about the benefits of choline for decades. However, I doubt that studies will ever be conducted.
A Brief History of Choline
Could we be overlooking a potential choline crisis in the United Kingdom? | BMJ Nutrition, Prevention & Health

Last edited:

LLight

Thanks @David PS

Choline could be useful regarding digestion because the gallbladder muscles seem to be under the control of cholinergic pathways and choline seems useful regarding bile production.

Rats were fed either a control diet (CD), a choline diet (ChD) or a lecithin-enriched diet (LD) for 2 weeks. Results showed that like LD, ChD induced an increase in bile flow and bile acid secretion rate when compared with the control diet.

Agonists like cholecystokinin and acetylcholine cause contraction of gall-bladder smooth muscle through signal transduction, which increases intracellular calcium levels and so initiates the contractile machinery. Cholecystokinin also acts on the sphincter of Oddi via pre-ganglionic cholinergic nerves to release vasoactive intestinal polypeptide and nitric oxide, and so lower tone. These events are co-ordinated with motility and secretory events in the upper gastrointestinal tract, delivering bile at appropriate times into the duodenum.

It is suggested that cholinergic mediation is involved in maintaining fasting tone in the gallbladder and that cholinergic stimulation causes contraction of the gallbladder by a direct effect.

LLight

If you have dry eyes (or retina issues), choline could be useful.

Choline is essential for maintaining the structure and function of cells in humans. Choline plays an important role in eye health and disease. It is a precursor of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter of the parasympathetic nervous system, and it is involved in the production and secretion of tears by the lacrimal glands. It also contributes to the stability of the cells and tears on the ocular surface and is involved in retinal development and differentiation. Choline deficiency is associated with retinal hemorrhage, glaucoma, and dry eye syndrome. Choline supplementation may be effective for treating these diseases.

Spartan300

I'm curious on this. For a number of years after exercising for decades I have lost most of my capacity to tolerate exercise and recover.
Around the same time this decline started I have also had to start treatment for high intra-ocular pressure, the precursor to glaucoma.

Are there any reasonable supplement options as consuming more than a half dozen eggs a day isn't always practical?

LLight

I'm curious on this. For a number of years after exercising for decades I have lost most of my capacity to tolerate exercise and recover.
Around the same time this decline started I have also had to start treatment for high intra-ocular pressure, the precursor to glaucoma.

Are there any reasonable supplement options as consuming more than a half dozen eggs a day isn't always practical?
Not sure it really answers your question but eating foods high in betaine (aka Trimethylglycine or TMG) might lower the need for choline.

OP
David PS

David PS

Common genetic polymorphisms affect the human requirement for the nutrient choline (2006)​

1659726924653.png

Figure 2.Study design. Healthy men and women were fed abaseline diet containing the choline Adequate Intake concen-tration for 10 days. They were then switched to a low choline diet (<50 mg choline) until they developed signs of organdysfunction associated with choline deficiency or for up to 42 days. Subjects who developed signs of organ dysfunction wererepleted with graded amounts of choline at 10 day intervals until their symptoms disappeared; those without signs of organ dysfunction were fed the 100% choline diet for at least 3 days before being discharged from the study.
Some subjects were given a folic acid supplement (400 g per day) during the depletion and repletion phases, but this did not affect their susceptibility to choline deficiency (from da Costa et al.,Am J. Clin. Nutr., in press).

OP
David PS

David PS

I am focused on getting my choline from food sources.
1659783974739.png

This table suggests that eggs and liver may be the best way to rack up the choline in the diet. Directly supplementing with Phosphatidycholine is another option. I do not know if that is considered to be a reasonable option.
1659784256531.png

Incidently, old-time bodybuilders consumed large quantitied of eggs. Watch Rocky demonstrate a practical method to quickly incorporate eggs into the diet in this video clip.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Great thread, thank you so much!

OP
David PS

David PS

OP
David PS

David PS

Vanset

Eating a few eggs a day or even a few dozen is not going to help you with this, don't get your hopes up.

OP
David PS

David PS

Ismail

Wow this is amazing! Thank you for such a great thread.

I remember I used to get acne type breaks on my scalp, I’m assuming it was due to low choline and/or NAFLD.

Once I started taking choline bitartrate (stopped now as apparently it increase TMAO levels etc.) my scalp cleared up, and so did my skin!

Wish I could continue taking choline bitartrate 😞

It’s not easy to get enough choline through diet everyday.

How can one test for these genetic polymorphisms to do with choline?

Thank you again, will read through these studies more thoroughly once I get a moment.

P

Peatness

Have you seen these threads?

From old notes - sorry I don't have references but they are filed under ray peat

Because of their stress-like effects, coffee and tobacco should be avoided in glaucoma. The nutrients that are especially involved in the adrenal stress reaction should be used: ascorbic acid, pantothenic acid, riboflavin, vitamin A, magnesium, and vitamin E.

Progesterone (natural form) is a diuretic and also is a precursor for the anti-stress hormones, and sometimes helps glaucoma. The nutrients mentioned above promote its synthesis. Estrogen blocks its actions, so it would seem desirable to "avoid estrogen, and to use the nutrients which oppose estrogen. The eye itself has especially high requirements for vitamins A, B2, and niacin, and coenzyme Q.

Salt and water metabolism involve vitamins B6, pan-tothenic acid, A, C, E, and niacin (see R.J. Kutsky, Handbook of Vitamins and Hormones, p. 263), and various minerals (other than sodium) including magnesium, potassium and zinc. Because of the role of carbon dioxide in circulation, vitamins B1, B6, and biotin, and zinc, should also be con-sidered. Choline is now known to stimulate acetylcholine synthesis, and so might help to promote a normal parasympathetic innervation.

P

Peatness

Thanks I did not know about cholines role in brain repair. The eye is considered to be nuerologically part of the brain. So it could help with eye issues as well.

View attachment 40021source
Thanks.

This thread is useful

USDA Database for the Choline Content of Common Foods Release Two

Attachments

• Database for the Choline in food.pdf
    300 KB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:

redsun

Eating half a dozen eggs is actually the most practical way to do this. Supplements are not as useful and will not be as helpful for recovery since they lack the nutrients in eggs. You dont necessarily need a ton of eggs. 3 to 4 may be enough but this would need to be with at least a half pound of meat or more to add to your choline intake. Milk, yogurt also have a little which can add up with a few servings a day.

Your tolerance to exercise will improve pretty quickly once your choline intake goes up again. Lack of choline will lead to very poor tolerance to exercise since acetylcholine is required for contractions of your muscles. You will be physically weak and also lack endurance.

Eating a few eggs a day or even a few dozen is not going to help you with this, don't get your hopes up.
Way to be a debbie downer. If his choline intake has been low for a long time due to lack of eggs and also lack of meat which are the major sources of choline in most people's diet then it absolutely will. Even if you ate a ton of meat, with no eggs in the diet you would struggle to reach the minimum. The important of choline for exercise cannot be overstated. This is especially an issue with men since we have less estrogen to induce PEMT as effectively as women. And if you are also european you likely have genetic mutations which further reduce PEMTs effectiveness to produce choline. Men, especially european men, are much more dependent on dietary choline to maintain choline levels in the body. And if they don't deliberately obtain more choline with the right foods, eggs being the most convenient and effective way, they get plagued with liver, organ dysfunction, cognitive dysfunction, low muscle tone and overall muscle weakness.

Vanset

Eating half a dozen eggs is actually the most practical way to do this. Supplements are not as useful and will not be as helpful for recovery since they lack the nutrients in eggs. You dont necessarily need a ton of eggs. 3 to 4 may be enough but this would need to be with at least a half pound of meat or more to add to your choline intake. Milk, yogurt also have a little which can add up with a few servings a day.

Your tolerance to exercise will improve pretty quickly once your choline intake goes up again. Lack of choline will lead to very poor tolerance to exercise since acetylcholine is required for contractions of your muscles. You will be physically weak and also lack endurance.

Way to be a debbie downer. If his choline intake has been low for a long time due to lack of eggs and also lack of meat which are the major sources of choline in most people's diet then it absolutely will. Even if you ate a ton of meat, with no eggs in the diet you would struggle to reach the minimum. The important of choline for exercise cannot be overstated. This is especially an issue with men since we have less estrogen to induce PEMT as effectively as women. And if you are also european you likely have genetic mutations which further reduce PEMTs effectiveness to produce choline. Men, especially european men, are much more dependent on dietary choline to maintain choline levels in the body. And if they don't deliberately obtain more choline with the right foods, eggs being the most convenient and effective way, they get plagued with liver, organ dysfunction, cognitive dysfunction, low muscle tone and overall muscle weakness.
I more or less know the mechanism and I appreciate your response, I simply speak from experience. He is free to experiment and post his results in this thread. Crack ten eggs daily and eat the yolks raw. I highly doubt this is his problem.

OP
David PS

David PS

Thanks for your insight. For the record, it is not bro science.
Choline: An Essential Nutrient for Skeletal Muscle

Last edited: