Choline: An Essential Nutrient for Public Health that we’re not getting enough of in our diet

OP
David PS

David PS

Blossom

Forum Supporter

LLight

Yet the Choline column reports only 42 for eggs, but 2,930 for lettuce.
To cite the article posted above by @David PS:
In tissues and foods, there are multiple choline compounds that contribute to total choline concentration (choline, glycerophosphocholine, phosphocholine, phosphatidylcholine and sphingomyelin).
So I believe the word choline refer to all these compounds. They might not be purely equivalent though, wrt their bioavailability for example.

LLight

Various anomalies of pulmonary surfactant have been described in relation to acute respiratory distress syndromes, hypersensitivity lung disease and pulmonary sarcoidosis. Phosphatidylcholine (PC) is the essential phospholipid component of pulmonary surfactant. Cytidine diphosphocholine (CDP-choline) is an essential intermediary in the biosynthesis of PC. The authors studied two groups of patients: one group consisted of diffuse interstitial pulmonary fibrosis and the other consisted of pulmonary sarcoidosis with parenchymal involvement. They observed quantitative and qualitative abnormalities of the phospholipid fractions of surfactant and more particularly of PC. The finding of a marked decrease in this phospholipid, especially in the cases of pulmonary fibrosis, justified the study of the therapeutic effects of CDP-choline. After one month of treatment with this substance, at a dose of 1 g I.M. per day, the PC fraction had returned to normal and, at the same time, there was an improvement in the PaO2 at rest and after exercise. Long term administration of CDP-choline appears to be valuable in the maintenance of the phospholipid equilibrium of pulmonary surfactant and in the improvement of the quality of alveolar gas exchange.

OP
David PS

David PS

Choline is a part of many chemicals within the body. It’s water-soluble. All of the jobs of choline are not yet known. It may be needed for your liver and kidneys to work well. Choline is also a part of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. This is a chemical that passes messages between nerves. It also passes messages between nerves and muscles.

Choline is also the building block of lecithin and sphingomyelins. Lecithin is a part of cell walls, plasma, and lipoproteins. Sphingomyelin is the insulating material of brain and nerve tissue.

OP
David PS

David PS

Thanks.

This thread is useful

USDA Database for the Choline Content of Common Foods Release Two
I could have saved myself some searching if I had read your post sooner. Thanks, here is an article that you might find interesting.

We identified panels of metabolites specifically associated with TBI severity and patient outcomes. Choline phospholipids (lysophosphatidylcholines, ether phosphatidylcholines and sphingomyelins) were inversely associated with TBI severity and were among the strongest predictors of TBI patient outcomes, which was further confirmed in a separate validation dataset of 558 patients. The observed metabolic patterns may reflect different pathophysiological mechanisms, including protective changes of systemic lipid metabolism aiming to maintain lipid homeostasis in the brain.

OP
David PS

David PS

I have been wondering if a natural Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitor do trick to avoid eating more eggs or supplementing with choline?

Anticholinergic, antidiabetic and antioxidant activities of cinnamon (cinnamomum verum) bark extracts: polyphenol contents analysis by LC-MS/MS

Z

Zsazsa

I have been wondering if a natural Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitor do trick to avoid eating more eggs or supplementing with choline?

Anticholinergic, antidiabetic and antioxidant activities of cinnamon (cinnamomum verum) bark extracts: polyphenol contents analysis by LC-MS/MS
Personally I felt like choline-deficient from both, in different ways. Berberine caused severe brainfog and cinnamon causes migraine.

OP
David PS

David PS

Personally I felt like choline-deficient from both, in different ways. Berberine caused severe brainfog and cinnamon causes migraine.
Thanks, I plan on trying them. Now I have an understanding of the side effects to anticipate.

OP
David PS

David PS

Asparagus is also natural Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitor.

Asparagus racemosus competitively inhibits in vitro the acetylcholine and monoamine metabolizing enzymes

Asparagus racemosus (AR) has earlier been reported to possess antidepressant activity possibly mediated through the monoaminergic system, and nootropic and anti amnestic activities possibly through the cholinergic system. In the present study to further understand the mechanism of action, we evaluated the kinetics of acetyl (AChE) and butyryl (BuChE) cholinesterases, and monoamine oxidase (MAO-A and B) enzyme inhibitory activities of different fractions of AR. The results showed that methanolic extract of AR (MAR) significantly inhibited cholinesterase and MAO activities as compared to hexane (HAR) and chloroform (CAR) extracts of AR as evident from the IC50 values. The kinetic analysis of enzyme inhibition of MAR shows that the Vmax does not change with different concentrations of MAR but the Km value increases. This indicates that MAR is a non-selective competitive inhibitor for both cholinesterase and monoamine oxidase enzymes. Evaluation of Ki values show that MAR inhibited these enzymes less potently compared to the respective standard drugs. There seems to be a positive correlation between the saponin content and, cholinesterase and monoamine inhibitory activities as MAR had 62.20% of saponins, whereas HAR and CAR had no measurable saponin content. The non-selective competitive inhibitory activity on cholinesterase and monoamine oxidase enzymes can explain many reported neuropharmacological activities of AR. AR apart being used as a drug is also used as a food. As such AR may have potential drug–drug, drug–food and food–food interactions with drugs and foods sharing the cholinergic and monoaminergic pathways.

cedric

" 6. Asparagus: 500 mg
Asparagus offers 500 milligrams of D-aspartic acid per ½ cup cooked as well as 1.8 grams of heart-healthy fiber and only 20 calories. This fiber-rich staple is a great option if you're looking for D-aspartic acid foods that are vegetarian."

Choline/betaine helps detoxify arsenic

OP
David PS

David PS

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I’ve had 3-5 raw large egg yolks, >1/2 pound of ground beef and some iceberg lettuce for the past 4 days for choline and it’s going well. I should be hitting my choline target with those foods. So far so good-nothing negative to report anyway.

OP
David PS

David PS

I’ve had 3-5 raw large egg yolks, >1/2 pound of ground beef and some iceberg lettuce for the past 4 days for choline and it’s going well. I should be hitting my choline target with those foods. So far so good-nothing negative to report anyway.
Wow that is great. No negative news is good news as well. One of the images from page 1 of this thread suggests that repletion may take 40 days.

I have been eating/swallowing medim eggs. They contain almost as much choline as the large eggs and they are less expensive.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Wow that is great. No negative news is good news as well. One of the images from page 1 of this thread suggests that repletion may take 40 days.

I have been eating/swallowing medim eggs. They contain almost as much choline as the large eggs and they are less expensive.
Awesome! When I get eggs from my friend they vary in size. Yesterday I had to buy some at the supermarket so I got the best quality I could find which only come as large. This has me seriously considering getting chickens. We have a coup from the previous owners that could be functional again with just a few repairs.

OP
David PS

David PS

Awesome! When I get eggs from my friend they vary in size. Yesterday I had to buy some at the supermarket so I got the best quality I could find which only come as large. This has me seriously considering getting chickens. We have a coup from the previous owners that could be functional again with just a few repairs.
The best quality eggs come from a friend and you create some goodwill from the transaction.

Dutchie

That's great that you're able to get in your choline requirement without ill effects. :)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That's great that you're able to get in your choline requirement without ill effects. :)
Thank you, I’m hoping this is a missing piece of the health puzzle. :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals