Cholesterol

Lyndaotoole

Hey guys I have been following the diet and my blood test came back with my cholesterol levels
At 700. Way too high. My doctor wants to put me on tablets. What should I do?

J

j.

Do an experiment for science and test whether some pregnenolone lowers your cholesterol. Kidding, but just a little bit, because if your cholesterol is that high, your thyroid function is probably low, which means that your pregnenolone production is also likely low, and if so, chances are you'll feel much better if you take some.

Mittir

Did your doctor test your thyroid hormones? TSH, Total 4 and Total T3.
RP mentioned that thyroid number goes up directly with decreasing thyroid
function. Thyroid lowers cholesterol by converting cholesterol to other hormones
like pregnenolone, progesterone, DHEA. Taking prognenolone is probably not going
to decrease cholesterol significantly. Since pregnenolone is derived from cholesterol.
What is your typical diet? How was your cholesterol before starting this diet?

OP
L

Lyndaotoole

My cholesterol was fine before starting, but I've only been on my new diet for about 2 months. I've actually lost weight. My doctor is a bit of a nazi and said my hormones aren't right and that I'm going through perimenopause. He said to "ride it out". Great advice but I feel like crap, extremes fatigue and headaches 2 weeks out of every month. Any ideas.

mandance

Supplementing thyroid is a safe way to lower cholesterol from what I've heard peat say.

Mittir

Correction : "RP mentioned that cholesterol number goes up directly with decreasing thyroid function"

Mittir

I think before taking thyroid med you need to know your TSH and Total T3.
Taking temperature and pulse 2 hours after breakfast gives a good idea on
thyroid function. Diet can fix minor thyroid problems. What are you eating?
Are you having daily raw carrot salad? 80 grams of protein?
Low tryptophan diet? Weekly liver? seafood with selenium?
Excess sugar can increase cholesterol.

J

j.

I think Peat's diet might not keep cholesterol low, according to conventional numbers, while you have low thyroid function. So thyroid supplementation seems the way to go. Peat recommends using both T3 and T4, not only T4.

OP
L

Lyndaotoole

I live in australia and all that stuff is illegal without prescription. I might need to find a hormone doctor. I am very thin so i dont think my thyroid is uneractive

Mittir

Lyndaotoole said:
I live in australia and all that stuff is illegal without prescription. I might need to find a hormone doctor. I am very thin so i dont think my thyroid is uneractive

One can be really thin and have low thyroid. RP explained high estrogen is expressed
differently in different person. One major advantage of being thin is that it takes a short
period of time to replace PUFA storage in the body. Any good doctor should test at least TSH when
they see high cholesterol. It is well known that high cholesterol is one of the major
indicator of low thyroid. Check any government source on hypothyroid.
If your doc decides to give you thyroid hormone just ask for mix of T3 and T4.
If someone loose a lot of weight, their lipid numbers can be abnormal for some time.

4peatssake

Being thin is not a good indicator of thyroid function.
Ray Peat recommends taking temperature, pulse and the Achilles Tendon Reflux test.

This is from an email to me regarding how to check for hypothyroidism.

Checking your temperature and resting pulse rate (at least twice a day, at waking, and about an hour after breakfast) would be a place to start. Having someone check your Achilles tendon reflex relaxation rate is helpful; the relaxation should be instantaneous, so that your foot falls floppily.

Coconut oil is helpful for cholesterol levels.

Ray Peat said:
As far as the evidence goes, it suggests that coconut oil, added regularly to a balanced diet, lowers cholesterol to normal by promoting its conversion into pregnenolone. (The coconut family contains steroids that resemble pregnenolone, but these are probably mostly removed when the fresh oil is washed with water to remove the enzymes which would digest the oil.) Coconut-eating cultures in the tropics have consistently lower cholesterol than people in the U.S. Everyone that I know who uses coconut oil regularly happens to have cholesterol levels of about 160, while eating mainly cholesterol rich foods (eggs, milk, cheese, meat, shellfish). I encourage people to eat sweet fruits, rather than starches, if they want to increase their production of cholesterol, since fructose has that effect.
Coconut Oil

OP
L

Lyndaotoole

Thanks everyone. I will check my temperature and pulse, and ask for my blood test results. Then go to a doctor who will do something for me. Does anyone live in Sydney and know of a good doctor.

juanitacarlos

Lyndaotoole said:
I live in australia and all that stuff is illegal without prescription.

Hey Lynda - it's not illegal in Australia without prescription. You can import T3/T4, NDT etc legally. You just need to only bring in a 3 month supply at a time. PM me if you want to know how/where I ordered from. But also you can just find a competent, open-minded doctor who will prescribe thyroid if you need it.

Unfortunately I live in Brisbane so can't recommend anyone in Sydney.

OP
L

Lyndaotoole

I'm new to this and can't work out how to "pm". Can you explain what I have to do.

chris

In one of his more recent talks peat spoke about a bunch of doctors that proudly boasted about how low their cholesterol levels were and they all died before either 50 or 60.

Dan W

Just to pile on the "thin doesn't mean good thyroid function" bandwagon, I was very thin and hypothyroid. When that was corrected, I started to have a normal appetite and gain weight.

HDD

"Stereotypes are important. When a very thin person with high blood pressure visits a doctor, hypothyroidism isn't likely to be considered; even high TSH and very low T4 and T3 are likely to be ignored, because of the stereotypes. (And if those tests were in the healthy range, the person would be at risk for the “hyperthyroid” diagnosis.) But remembering some of the common adaptive reactions to a thyroid deficiency, the catabolic effects of high cortisol and the circulatory disturbance caused by high adrenaline should lead to doing some of the appropriate tests, instead of treating the person's hypertension and “under nourished” condition. "

4peatssake

Haagendazendiane said:
"Stereotypes are important. When a very thin person with high blood pressure visits a doctor, hypothyroidism isn't likely to be considered; even high TSH and very low T4 and T3 are likely to be ignored, because of the stereotypes. (And if those tests were in the healthy range, the person would be at risk for the “hyperthyroid” diagnosis.) But remembering some of the common adaptive reactions to a thyroid deficiency, the catabolic effects of high cortisol and the circulatory disturbance caused by high adrenaline should lead to doing some of the appropriate tests, instead of treating the person's hypertension and “under nourished” condition. "
He is just so utterly brilliant!
Thanks for posting this HDD!