Cholesterol

mandance

Hey, I had a question about Cholesterol and wonder what peoples ideas were about it. Since I started eating more Peat-ish, coming from Paleo, I have noticed that my Cholesterol is higher, as my fat consumption is higher naturally. Now I know that with a proper functioning thyroid, Peat has told me before that that would essentially cut down the cholesterol and make use for other things like DHEA etc. Does that mean that by taking in more fat, without a healthy thyroid, that we are in fact, potentially causing harm to ourselves, clogging arteries potentially etc. Or is the entire Cholesterol thing just BS. I know its only a problem if it oxidizes, (correct me if im wrong) But what has to happen for cholesterol to become harmful, if Peat is saying that it is not bad to have high cholesterol.

Thanks guys and gals.

J

j.

I think if you want to lower it and don't mind using supplements, some thyroid can lower your cholesterol.

OP
mandance

mandance

I know thyroid lowers it, but im so confused on all the different schools of thought on if its actually bad or not.

J

j.

mandance said:
I know thyroid lowers it, but im so confused on all the different schools of thought on if its actually bad or not.

In one study, old people who had 250 of cholesterol were among the healthiest, I believe. What's your number? 500 is probably bad, guessing.

OP
mandance

mandance

My recent numbers:

Cholesterol: 165
Tris: 158
HDL: 37
LDL: 96
LDL/HDL Ratio: 2.6
Chol/HDL Ratio: 4.5

Im not worried about mine, im just wondering is cholesterol actually bad or not? Doctors always say to avoid animal fat etc, Ray Peat promotes fat use etc. But again, if your thyroid isnt healthy, does that mean that fat conumption is harmful if the thyroid cant help in making use of everything?

J

j.

I wouldn't worry at all with those numbers, even if they go up. To your actual question, I don't know the answer.

OP
mandance

mandance

Thanks, yeah..hoping someone can chime in who might know. Just for future reference.

Attachments

• Learned Helplessness.docx
    26.3 KB · Views: 106

jb4566

The Cholesterol thing is 100% bs. Ancel keys is the guy who originally came up with the lipid hypothesis and it is now widely known that he cherry picked data, unfortunate most doctors are still in the dark ages. High cholesterol occurs with aging because the body is trying to produce more youth hormones as these generally decline with age. What one would want to do is encourage cholesterol to be converted into pregnenolone by supplementing with vit-a and t3. What doctors usually have people do is block cholesterol synthesis in the liver through a statin medication, or "heart healthy whole grains" (lmfao), or even worse through fish oil supplementation (yuk).

jb4566

Also, the reason why cholesterol is found to be high in people who suffer from heart disease is that the body is trying to raise testosterone levels (or progesterone in women). Testosterone is known to be protective of the cardiovascular system in men. Bodybuilders use testosterone because it builds muscle tissue, what is the heart? A muscle of course! Most people are deficient in vitamin-a or t3 so the body cannot build the testosterone that it needs, ultimately resulting in a heart attack. This is why people on thyroid meds have a fifth of the rate of heart disease as people not on thyroid meds (I think charlie made a post about this at some point).

jb4566

I should also add that your cholesterol is very low (almost too low), and that a peat diet should be a lower fat diet imo, thus allowing for mead acid to be synthesized from fructose.

OP
mandance

mandance

That would make sense. I am 29 and recently found out my testosterone is incredibly low. Under 300. Im not sure I follow though, are you saying cholesterol becomes higher if the body cannot make more testosterone?

OP
mandance

mandance

Also since tapering off anti depressants, ive had a ton of chest pain lately although I dont think im at a risk for heart attack at this age. The withdrawl side effects are weird.

jb4566

Antidepressants (assuming you are talking about ssris) are very estrogenic. I would recommended an ssre like this: http://www.inhousepharmacy.biz/p-1070-s ... 125mg.aspx.

In regards to cholesterol, I'm saying that cholesterol is a precursor to testosterone, so if ones testosterone is low the body may up-regulate cholesterol production in an attempt to make more testosterone. Eating liver (or supplementing vitamin a), and taking thyroid hormone can help the body produce more testosterone by converting cholesterol.

jb4566

excess serotonin can cause chest pain in some people, and yes the side effects are very weird I have been on antidepressants myself in the past.

jb4566

I should also mention that I was in a similar situation to you a few months ago and I managed to boost my testosterone levels way up through a peat diet along with pregnenolone, and thyroid hormone. In January my testosterone was at 68 ng/dl! I'm getting labs next week and I imagine that my testosterone is at least 500 ng/dl now if not higher.

OP
mandance

mandance

Yeah, im trying to get off SSRIS completely although the withdrawls are such hell I dont know. Ive been on them for like 15 years off and on and always had to get back on them. That is also what Peat said when I talked to him about raising T. I should try cynoplus at night time...I tried the cynomel but after 3 days, totally crashed from it and was out for like 2 days from fatigue, I was only dosing like an 8th of a tab too. So Peat then suggesting trying a 6th of cynomel at night with milk and OJ. Probably part of the issue was I was dosing the t3 with no food so it might have hit my liver too quickly thus the liver created enzymes to attack the excess, at least thats what Peat had suspected. So yeah, it made me afraid to try thryoid again. also thats when my chest pain started, but I am thinking that has more to do with the antidepressants being depleted in me.

Its crazy though because its more noticeable at rest, just a very hard heart beat, normal rate, but it keeps me awake and my chest always hurts. But anyhow, I am getting off topic. I will look into vitamin A. I also ordered Prenenolone...is it adviseable to take thryoid and preg or to try one or the other first? I guess I can start with trying the cynoplus again for a few weeks and see what happens.

OP
mandance

mandance

Oh wow, that is very low indeed, what was the last lab report of your testosterone?

jb4566

Damn, yeah it is tough to get off the meds but trust me it gets better. I was on psych meds from age 10 to age 19. If you ever need someone to talk to about it feel free to message me. You might have crashed from your stress hormone levels dropping, as thyroid tends to oppose stress hormones. But, I think ray probably knows better than I do.

In regards to the heart beat, try drinking a glass of juice when it happens and see if that helps. That could be an atrial fibrillation, which is often caused by low t.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19143004

Are you exercising? It might be a good idea to stop for awhile until you heal. I was getting a strange heartbeat back in march when my t was still low and I continued to lift. I ended up in the hospital hooked up to an iv, my heart rate got up to 217 bpm while I was working out and it didn't go back down. This has gone away now of course, but it is scary for sure .