Cholesterol Gone Through The Roof,is This Result All Bad ?

Hi all,I was called into doctors after recent cholesterol test,he said my cholesterol number was the highest he'd ever seen, Ive been trying to heal my heart disease by diet and supplements for the last few months,but I seem to have lost my way,Iwould really appreciate some guidance,lots of family healthy problems recently which bear heavily on me.Im finding it hard to put things together nutritionly,very low mood please help

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    272.6 KB · Views: 218

tara

Hi Elderflower,
I'm definitely not qualified to give you advice on this, and I can't see the numbers very clearly on your image file. But wondering if these numbers have gone up significantly since the previous time you had cholesterol blood tests? If so, given your serious condition, I'd guess it's not a great trend. Some people here have been deliberately trying to raise cholesterol levels because they are low - I don't think that's what you've been trying to do.

Have you been trying specific tactics to try to support conversion of cholesterol to other needed steroids?
Do you have any measures of thyroid function/general metabolic rate?

Good luck.

OP
E
Thank for responding Tara, Ive been trying to eat heart healthy foods (peat style) for the last few months,more milk ,cheese,potatoes,I'm finding it hard to get a lot of protein in ,Idrink orange juice but not enough.I suffer severe anxiety and depression,so rarely leave home,I was hoping the taurine ,vitamin A,D,E, and k2 would help with steroid conversion,I weigh 64 kilos so I've gained 3 kilos ,am I eating too much sat fat.Im very confused as I thought sat fat was healthier but lately on the forum conflicting info.I also need advise on calcium/phosphate,I didn't tolerate geletan well and need a substitute, I would really benefit from simple guidelines (bad brain fog. To adress my situation

PakPik

Hello @Elderflower j58
It is worth mentioning, in case you don't know, that saturated fatty acids are very good at raising cholesterol, so if your diet contains a good share of them, that may be contributing to your raised cholesterol.

tara

Im very confused as I thought sat fat was healthier but lately on the forum conflicting info.
My understanding is that saturated fat is a lot safer than unsaturated fat, but that high fat levels can cause issues too, whether saturated or unsaturated. How much we need seems to vary from person to person.

I also need advise on calcium/phosphate
Peat usually recommends more calcium than phosphate ie at least 1:1, maybe better 1.5:1.
Inorder for the body to use calcium well - ie put it where it needs to be, not calcifying soft tissues, it needs some other factors too, including good levels of magnesium and vits D and K. Do you have a source of magnesium? Peat has said broth from green veges is good, some people use oral supplements, some find they can get more in through skin by epsom salt (mag sulphate) baths or mag chloride (mag oil) spray.

I didn't tolerate geletan well and need a substitute
Some people find hydrolysed collagen easier to digest than whole gelatin. Some people find that being more rigorous about dissolving gelatin well helps.

Do you have some fibre that work for you in your diet? Grated carrot salad or sth else?

Do you want to mention what your drs are suggesting you do now for your cardiovascular issues?
Do you have any sense yourself about what helps against the brain fog?
Do you have recent measurements regarding general metabolism/thyroid function? Either lab tests or heart-rate and body temp data?

tara

OP
E
Yes ,thankyou Tara, I have read them ,still trying to understand all the content. I'm so angry with my Dr as I feel I'm definitely hypothyroid and I asked to try thyroid meds last year when I first found this information on Ray peats website,also Broda Barnes research. Stupid Dr said no and had never heard of Broda Barnes and present guidelines for measuring thyroid were adequate.But I have had To swallow their poison medication for almost 20 years and I have been robbed of my physical and mental health because of it.​

OP
E
Tara ,I wrote a long answer to all your questions about 3 hours ago,but it dissapeared,my iPad is problematic so I'llreply again tomorrow,as I'm very tired now .I greatly appreciate your help thank you

tara

Yes ,thankyou Tara, I have read them ,still trying to understand all the content. I'm so angry with my Dr as I feel I'm definitely hypothyroid and I asked to try thyroid meds last year when I first found this information on Ray peats website,also Broda Barnes research. Stupid Dr said no and had never heard of Broda Barnes and present guidelines for measuring thyroid were adequate.But I have had To swallow their poison medication for almost 20 years and I have been robbed of my physical and mental health because of it.
Do you have the results from whatever thyroid tests he did?
What is your body temp?

Quite a few people here have been deciding their own doses of thyroid hormone, and getting them without dr prescriptions.
For some people this seems quite reasonable to me, as long as it's done cautiously, slowly, and with careful attention to effects.
Because you have such serious cardiovascular issues, maybe there are additional risks for you with changing/destabilising metabolism. So I don't know if it's safe for you. It would be nice to be able to try it with someone knowledgable available to assist you if you need it, and to you to check you are OK.

tara

jaywills

Elderflower, subscribe to Chris Masterjohns podcast. He has just released an all Heart Disease live Facebook Q+A episode. He goes into scientific depth and covers a wide range of topics including fat consumption. Would suggest you start there.

yoshiesque

for a small amount of the population, consuming larger amounts of saturated fats increase cholesterol levels. this is the case with me. i did a proper experiment on this. so if uve increased ur saturated fat intake considerably in the last few months it might be that.

OP
E
I always ate butter ,but never in big amounts,but for years I made homemade fat chips in supposedly healthy oils about 2 to 3 times a week, very little obvious puffa in the last 18 months, it I have eaten more cheese and milk in the last years ,so it seems sat fat has given me the highest cholesterol ,I'm totally confused now:arghh:o_O:flushed: