Chocolate milk + vit C = complete nutrition?

pboy

It seems so! (Milk only lacks iron, copper, and vitamin C...the chocolate provides the iron and copper)
The fat, sugar, salt, and fluid would seem to be in balance also

Anything else I'm not thinking of? (not that I'd do this, but theoretically is this true?)

Mittir

Whole thing goes against Ray Peat ideas. One of the reason RP likes dairy so much is because it is very low in iron.
He is not a big fan of vitamin C either. C increases iron absorption and by interacting with iron creates powerful oxidant.
Oxalic acid in Chocolate binds with calcium in milk and will lower calcium absorption.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/iron-dangers.shtml

jyb

Edit: deleting my comment since I misread the original post.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Jyb, did you mean magnesium?

OP
P

pboy

Have a cup of OJ first thing in the morning, wait an hour, then proceed with the milk! The iron is low to begin with even with the chocolate, and the oxalaic acid would inhibit its apsorbtion. 8 + cups of milk would be 240% + calcium so even if you only absorbed a fraction of it you'd be fine...this is all just in fun, I jest

jyb

pboy said:
Have a cup of OJ first thing in the morning, wait an hour, then proceed with the milk! The iron is low to begin with even with the chocolate, and the oxalaic acid would inhibit its apsorbtion. 8 + cups of milk would be 240% + calcium so even if you only absorbed a fraction of it you'd be fine...this is all just in fun, I jest

Wait for an hour? Seems like a lot. I thought it was more like 20-30 mins.

Dutchie

Vit.c is highly recommended especially for adrenals? And i always seem to be battling with low iron/hemoglobin.

gretchen

I drank some chocolate milk with carageenan last night and have been super tired today.

I think I will let the vitamin C sit in the cabinet.

ElenaB

Whole thing goes against Ray Peat ideas. One of the reason RP likes dairy so much is because it is very low in iron.
He is not a big fan of vitamin C either. C increases iron absorption and by interacting with iron creates powerful oxidant.
Oxalic acid in Chocolate binds with calcium in milk and will lower calcium absorption.
Iron's Dangers
Having read the article I disagree with your interpretation, especially since this article is stating that “excess iron” is dangerous, not iron in general, so this is mostly talking about iron supplementation using non-heme iron. Non-heme iron is very difficult to absorb and thus can flood your system and reap havoc when SUPPLEMENTED.
The vast majority of non-heme iron from food sources (all plant based, including chocolate) is very difficult for our systems to access and thus we are really not in danger of over dosing from natural food sources, unless we are also taking iron supplements or also eating iron “enriched” foods.

Heme iron (from meat, liver, fish, etc.) is very bioavailable, and if some one is iron deficient it’s very helpful to have vitamin C (supplement or food source) and a little sugar with meals to help to absorb as much iron from as possible (this goes for a lot of nutrients, which is only one of many reasons eating a lot of fruit makes sense!)

When C is taken a hour or more away from an iron rich meal is really doesn’t make any different in iron absorption. They must be consumed close to eachother it to make a difference.

Secondly, the number one nutrient (next to polyphenols) that in an antagonist to iron absorption is Calcium, and most so from dairy sources!

Sooooo….If you want to reduce your iron absorption chocolate milk is in fact the perfect drink (add coffee and make it even more so)…the polyphenols from the chocolate (and/or coffee) and the calcium from the diary are the perfect anti-iron absorption combination.

Now, if you are like me and due to long term to gut issues have chronically low ferritin and need to make sure you are absorbing as much iron as possible from at least one or two meals each day…make sure you have dairy and polyphenols 1-2 hours away from your high (heme) iron meal, and eat your meal with a lot of vitamin C.

Iron is a necessary nutrient, especially for menstruating women with a combination of long term burnout and gut/malabsorption issues (which essentially leads extended malnutrition). Yes, supplementation can poison you, that does not mean that iron absorption from the natural heme iron-sources in your diet is dangerous. It also does not mean non-heme sources in your diet are dangerous…specifically because there are too many other factors in those sources preventing the access to the iron.

Thanks for listening!
Hope this helps somebody out there.

Last edited: