Chocolate Estrogenic?

OP
P

peatyfoody

Interesting. I developed cystic breast in this period.. despite using progesterone for months. But maybe it was the pregnenolone, that I used for the first time in the first half of my cycle.

Dave Clark

Does anybody else have any thoughts on this? Would Ray recommend coffee if it was estrogenic? What in chocolate or cocoa butter would make it estrogenic? Seems hard to believe. Never heard of copper raising estrogen either. That link is not very scientific, but I suppose anything can be tried to see what effect you get. If you stop coffee, chocolate, and cocoa butter, and you get positive results, who can argue with that, but can't say I've ever seen anything on this forum suggesting those things raise estrogen.

danielbb

Does anybody else have any thoughts on this? Would Ray recommend coffee if it was estrogenic? What in chocolate or cocoa butter would make it estrogenic? Seems hard to believe. Never heard of copper raising estrogen either. That link is not very scientific, but I suppose anything can be tried to see what effect you get. If you stop coffee, chocolate, and cocoa butter, and you get positive results, who can argue with that, but can't say I've ever seen anything on this forum suggesting those things raise estrogen.
Was waiting for someone to say this @Dave Clark. I started looking into the hypothesis implied here and it appears that just about all (maybe all) plants contain phytoestrogen. Coffee and chocolate (cacao, cocoa, etc.) however, appear to be way, way down on the list for phytoestrogen content. If this thread were about Soy and flaxseed, then it might make some sense.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've never heard anything like this before. Chocolate, cocoa butter and coffee (with sugar) have only been positive for me personally.
I'm pretty sure that even if it turns out that they are somehow "estrogenic" I will continue to enjoy them all regularly.

Tenacity

i would say yes cause it has a lot of copper and copper raises estrogen.

the only time i get manboobs is when i eat chocolate on a daily basis.

Liver also has a lot of copper in it. Is liver estrogenic?

fradon

Liver also has a lot of copper in it. Is liver estrogenic?

i never had estrogenic reactions from liver perhaps because its full of so many other minerals like zinc, iron, selenium that help boost T, and all those b vitamins that boost methylation not to mention the amino acids from the protein.

Lynne

I think the Ray Peat forum is estrogenic... :/

giphy.gif

J

jb116

Always think in terms of traditional wisdom: preparation is very important for several types of foods. We also see a good example of this with corn.
When it comes to chocolate, the estrogen, polyphenol and generally iron content are all reduced with the beautiful dutch process. Find the 365 choclate bar brand,
which contains no lecithin and is dutch processed. Eat that and then report back how you feel.

SuperStressed

Always think in terms of traditional wisdom: preparation is very important for several types of foods. We also see a good example of this with corn.
When it comes to chocolate, the estrogen, polyphenol and generally iron content are all reduced with the beautiful dutch process. Find the 365 choclate bar brand,
which contains no lecithin and is dutch processed. Eat that and then report back how you feel.
Not aware of the process but I think the milk with the milk chocolate would also help the polyphenol issue?

ExCarniv

Low fat soluble cacao + milk + sugar + gelatin. I'm eating that daily, no man boobs yet

Dave Clark

The major negative thing I have been reading about chocolate (cacao) is the high oxalate. Still not sure to be concerned or not. I am not giving up cacao, just using judiciously.

J

jb116

The Dutch processed chocolate or cocoa almost totally reduces oxalates too.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals