Chocolate completely flips my mood

Over the last I don't know how long I've had days where I feel completely flat, numb to the outside world, which I can only describe as symptoms of depression. In social situations I can experience debilitating nervousness where I can barely talk and feel like a complete outsider. However, over months of experiences I've noticed a bar of chocolate (90g typically) seems to remedy these feelings and I begin to feel elated, all of a sudden my bowels move after sometimes days of being constipated (despite eating all good foods / peaty or otherwise, I've tried it all). Even after this n-1 experiment I always feel conscious of smashing chocolate down all day as it is so calorific and I have body image issues as it is so I end up abstaining from using this quick fix every time.

My question lies as to why this could be happening, is it possibly I'm mineral deficient and the high mineral content is alleviating this? I don't think it's the caffeine as coffee doesn't provide the same benefits as chocolate. I have my suspicions that it could be something to do with the stearic acid sterilising my gut as I become incredibly regular when I eat 200g+ chocolate per day, but I cannot seem to achieve this regularity with any of the peat approved methods.

Thanks all

Mauritio

There's also pro-dopamnergic /anti-serotonergic compounds in cocoa .

NodeCerebri

I tend to get same mood-boosting effects from chocolate too, although not that obvious.
Here are some spontaneous thoughts that come to my mind, broken down by ingredient:
-sugar: how much were you consuming regularly? Maybe you need more of it to meet your caloric/metabolic demands?
-cocoa: as said from post #2 above, some neurotransmitter balance issue. Tbh the symptoms you described sound like elevated serotonin to me. And yeah, fixing digestion is the best way to go to fix this at the root cause. Good digestion always leads to a better mood and overall performance. Since transit time seems to improve, I can recommend activated charcoal for this issue. Also other members on this forum seemed to benefit from AC.
-cocoa butter: dietary fat lacking? This can be a cause for constipation. I'd recommend checking the posts on dietary fat intake and bile flow, liver function is also essential.
-overall ratios of macronutrients: beneficial for your metabolism? This ties to the latter point. Maybe you could consider adjusting the ratios.

I honestly do not think that the mineral content of chocolate could be enough to make such a vast difference. You would have to consume several kilograms of chocolate to get that effect. But this shouldn't be done of course, although chocolate sometimes invites you to do this ;)

Also, my opinion is that there is nothin wrong to give your body what it craves -- I remember I had times where I ate tubs and tubs of homemade coffee ice cream and nothing else besides maybe a little parmiggiano cheese or a meatball here and there and it was totally beneficial for my health and digestion because it was what my body just needed at that time.

Hope this helps!

YourUniverse

Chocolate could be helping by
a) increasing dopamine
b) increasing oxytoxin (social/romantic connections)
c) providing delicious saturated fats to a low-fat diet. Beef has somewhat similar fat.

Oleg

Chocolate could be helping by
a) increasing dopamine
b) increasing oxytoxin (social/romantic connections)
c) providing delicious saturated fats to a low-fat diet. Beef has somewhat similar fat.
Chocolate also has decent amount of magnesium. Could be the mineral you needed. Also, very important for good motility

TabulaRasa

Could be a few things I’d think…. Chocolate contains theobromine. Boosts mood. Contains magnesium. Also not bad for minerals.

There’s a reason why cacao ceremonies are a thing. Chocolate can definitely boost mood and increase feelings of connection.

Purest form with the most good stuff might be cacao paste which has both the fat and fiber, vs cacao powder or cacao butter.

I love chocolate. I usually feel better if I have a cup of hot cacao in the morning than if I have coffee. Add a little salt, cinnamon, tiny bit of nutmeg (too much will make you stoned), maple syrup—I make this drink often.

AlaskaJono

Got Cypro? (Cyproheptadine)

If one eats everyday, one should poo everyday. Eat 2x day? Then 2x daily bowel movement. Etc.. this is my experience.

I have rarely in my life been constipated. For me it means no BM before noon. It feels awful. I cannot imagine what 3 days no BM is like. Nor do I want to find out. Drink fuids, water or your favorourite drink. Chicolate is not a bad way to go! And yes magnesium might be a good trial supplement.

I have had other issues, never this one badly.

OP
Smell The Ashes
Thanks for the responses all, after a few days of development I think it may boil down to something as simple as I wasn't eating enough calories and chocolate is a real great way of getting in the energy. I've been been eating choccy ad libitum and feeling pretty great, despite consuming atleast 3k+ calories and only being a smallish 5ft8 with minimal muscle I seem to be getting leaner still.

frannybananny

Over the last I don't know how long I've had days where I feel completely flat, numb to the outside world, which I can only describe as symptoms of depression. In social situations I can experience debilitating nervousness where I can barely talk and feel like a complete outsider. However, over months of experiences I've noticed a bar of chocolate (90g typically) seems to remedy these feelings and I begin to feel elated, all of a sudden my bowels move after sometimes days of being constipated (despite eating all good foods / peaty or otherwise, I've tried it all). Even after this n-1 experiment I always feel conscious of smashing chocolate down all day as it is so calorific and I have body image issues as it is so I end up abstaining from using this quick fix every time.

My question lies as to why this could be happening, is it possibly I'm mineral deficient and the high mineral content is alleviating this? I don't think it's the caffeine as coffee doesn't provide the same benefits as chocolate. I have my suspicions that it could be something to do with the stearic acid sterilising my gut as I become incredibly regular when I eat 200g+ chocolate per day, but I cannot seem to achieve this regularity with any of the peat approved methods.

Thanks all
Could be the polyflavanoids.... dark chocolate is good for your immune system.

OP
Smell The Ashes
Yeah I'm still consuming good amounts had 300g of milk chocolate today, feels good. I have a bar with most meals at this point.

redsun

Yeah I'm still consuming good amounts had 300g of milk chocolate today, feels good. I have a bar with most meals at this point.
Do you typically consume caffeine if so how much? Chocolate has caffeine and this alone can improve your symptoms. Especially if you already consume caffeine and are now tolerant to your typical intake.

Milk chocolate isnt really rich in minerals in normal portions but if you consume a lot it can provide a good amount of iron, copper, and zinc which tends to improve anhedonia. Most people tend to have low intake of at least one or more of these trace minerals in their diet which are important for mood due to their effects on neurotransmitters. They could also play a role in reducing your anhedonia. But increased caffeine intake which increases the activity of glutamate and dopamine would be the more obvious cause. Since you said coffee isnt the same, its likely more iron, copper, and zinc is reducing anhedonia.

Do you consume a lot of calcium? Very high calcium consumption can lead to poor iron status which negatively affects dopamine. The other thing that calcium does is acutely reduce sodium channel activity. This is why its good for those with anxiety and other disorders related to overexcitation. However, too much especially consistently high calcium intake through the day cause anhedonia because of this effect.

AlaskaJono

Theobromine - alkaloid. Mmmmmm delish. :): Seriously, BM every day is vital for health. (Bowel Movement). I would suggest you start with that before exploring if you are mineral deficient for your total health.

Regarding chocolate particularly, I would classify myself historically as a chocoholic. One day about 35 years ago post-meditation retreat a friend said to me regarding my desire for chocolate, "Move how chocolate makes me feel." In other words, absorb and integrate that energetic state. Be the dark Chocolate!!!

This is obviously psycho-spiritual-emotional but it works. And have fun with it. I still love chocolate but I am free with it. Also of course do what you need to do with changes to your diet as well.

OP
Smell The Ashes
Do you typically consume caffeine if so how much? Chocolate has caffeine and this alone can improve your symptoms. Especially if you already consume caffeine and are now tolerant to your typical intake.

Milk chocolate isnt really rich in minerals in normal portions but if you consume a lot it can provide a good amount of iron, copper, and zinc which tends to improve anhedonia. Most people tend to have low intake of at least one or more of these trace minerals in their diet which are important for mood due to their effects on neurotransmitters. They could also play a role in reducing your anhedonia. But increased caffeine intake which increases the activity of glutamate and dopamine would be the more obvious cause. Since you said coffee isnt the same, its likely more iron, copper, and zinc is reducing anhedonia.

Do you consume a lot of calcium? Very high calcium consumption can lead to poor iron status which negatively affects dopamine. The other thing that calcium does is acutely reduce sodium channel activity. This is why its good for those with anxiety and other disorders related to overexcitation. However, too much especially consistently high calcium intake through the day cause anhedonia because of this effect.
After months of experimenting with the chocolate I think you've hit the nail on the head here. I do consume a fair bit of calcium typically but today is the perfect example I've had both red meat and coffee and I feel amazing, I'm going to continue the experiment with these as a daily staple and titrate the chocolate down. Today I've only had 100g of it but have no further desire for it.

As for the trace minerals it could be that however I'm also consuming Shilajit now which may supply some of them missing minerals.