Chlorophyll Or Chlorophyllin

Mossy

Does this have any Peaty benefits? I noticed it has copper complex, I wonder if these have antibacterial acitivity.
I have this same question and have asked a couple times, but it does not seem to be a supplement of interest on this forum. I would guess, that if you're eating liver and oysters, there may be a chance of getting too much copper, but that is just a guess. I'd wait for greater minds to chime in. :bag:

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
I have talked about my success with Chlorophyllin several times on the forum. It is one of the supplements that has helped me the most, i would highly recommend experimenting with it, i find it works much better then Chlorophyll.

“Chlorophyllin disables potent carcinogens such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and heterocyclic amines by forming complexes with these chemicals that limit the ability of these toxins to bind to normal cells to inflict malignant changes.

Chlorophyllin binds to a number of other common carcinogens including dibenzanthracene, dibenzopyrene and benzophenanthrene and limits their ability to form DNA adducts”

http://www.lifeextension.com/magazi...protects-against-environmental-toxins/page-01

This product has played a big part in helping me recover from many years of chemical/environmental sensitivities and helps make being around environmental toxins much more easy.

Life Extension, Chlorophyllin, 100 mg, 100 Vegetarian Capsules

Spondive

I have talked about my success with Chlorophyllin several times on the forum. It is one of the supplements that has helped me the most, i would highly recommend experimenting with it, i find it works much better then Chlorophyll.

“Chlorophyllin disables potent carcinogens such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and heterocyclic amines by forming complexes with these chemicals that limit the ability of these toxins to bind to normal cells to inflict malignant changes.

Chlorophyllin binds to a number of other common carcinogens including dibenzanthracene, dibenzopyrene and benzophenanthrene and limits their ability to form DNA adducts”

Chlorophyllin and Environmental Toxins | Life Extension

This product has played a big part in helping me recover from many years of chemical/environmental sensitivities and helps make being around environmental toxins much more easy.

How much do you take?

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
How much do you take?

I take 2-3 caps a day, they recommend taking one after each main meal, i also have found if i am going somewhere there is lots of chemical odors like a grocery store or department store that has lots of perfumes or driving in traffic where there is lots of car fumes i will take a extra one and it really helps, if you live in a city or work in a office where there is many chemicals and odors in the environment Chlorophyllin would be very beneficial.

Spondive

I take 2-3 caps a day, they recommend taking one after each main meal, i also have found if i am going somewhere there is lots of chemical odors like a grocery store or department store that has lots of perfumes or driving in traffic where there is lots of car fumes i will take a extra one and it really helps, if you live in a city or work in a office where there is many chemicals and odors in the environment Chlorophyllin would be very beneficial.
Thanks I thought interesting that it contains copper

Amazoniac

- Chlorophyll: Structural Properties, Health Benefits and Its Occurrence in Virgin Olive Oils
Digestion, absorption, and cancer preventative activity of dietary chlorophyll derivatives

"Chlorophyll is the most ubiquitous of all natural pigments, reaching levels that can exceed 1000 to 2000 ppm wet weight in some species [5], and is responsible for the color of all green plants [6]. Considering the primary role of chlorophyll in photosynthesis and its close association with yellow/orange carotenoid pigments well known for their bioactivity, these blue-green pigments have often been overlooked with regard to their potential physiological impact and role in the prevention of chronic disease."

"Chlorophyll and its various derivatives have a long-established history of use in traditional medicine and for therapeutic purposes [7]. Both natural chlorophyll and commercial-grade derivatives such as sodium copper chlorophyllin (SCC) have been widely investigated for a range of beneficial biological activities including wound healing [8], anti-inflammatory properties [9,10], control of calcium oxalate crystals [11], and internal deodorization [12]. Furthermore, the ability of both natural and commercial chlorophyll derivatives to act as photosensitizers have enabled their utilization as effective agents in photodynamic therapy of cancer [13-15]."

"Although difficult to generalize across the diversity of plant tissue, the chlorophyll content of commonly consumed green vegetables typically exceeds the levels of other bioactive pigments, such as carotenoids, by up to a 5-fold margin (Table 1). This relatively high concentration makes chlorophyll a significant contributor to the total dietary phytochemical pool."

upload_2019-1-1_13-26-21.png

These are different than what I came across once, but it was by dry weight.​

"The sensitivity of natural chlorophylls to extremes in pH and temperature allows for the formation of several distinct derivatives through processing of vegetable tissue and human digestion. The impact of food processing operations on chlorophylls in green fruits and vegetables has been thoroughly studied and is the subject of several reviews [20-22]. The main degradative reactions are summarized in Fig. 2. Thermal processing and/or acidification results in a perceivable discoloration of vegetable tissue from green to brown known as pheophytinization. This color loss is a result of the conversion of natural chlorophylls to [Mg2+]-free derivatives such as pheophytins and pyropheophytins [23-25]. Chlorophyllide derivatives can also be formed through mild thermal processing because an increase in endogenous chlorophyllase enzyme activity occurs from the mild heating of plant tissues [26]. In a process known as regreening, metallochlorophyll complexes of pheophytin a and pyropheophytin a are rapidly formed by the addition of divalent metal salts of zinc (Zn2+) and copper (Cu2+) to thermally processed vegetables before thermal treatment [27-31]. Both Cu2+ and Zn2+ complexes of chlorophylls have been shown to be significantly more stable to food processing conditions than their native counterparts [32] and have been used commercially both in the canning of green beans to improve the color of the finished product and in the generation of green color additives [27,33]."

upload_2019-1-1_13-26-56.png

"The sensitivity of chlorophyll to acidic conditions makes the gastric environment a logical candidate for significant chlorophyll modification. Early investigations provided insight into chlorophyll digestive instability by identifying decomposition products of both natural and commercial-grade derivatives in urine and feces. In general, [Mg2+]-free derivatives (including pheophytins and pyropheophytins), attributed to gastric acidity, were isolated as a predominant end-product in human feces [46,47]."

"Commercial-grade water-soluble chlorophyll derivatives known as chlorins are used as food-grade colorants. Although available chelated to various transition metals (Zn, Fe, Co, Cu) for distinct color and stability, the most common form is SCC. SCC is synthesized from a crude natural chlorophyll extract by treatment with methanolic sodium hydroxide followed by replacement of the central Mg atom with Cu [7]. The final product consists of a mixture of numerous chlorin-type compounds derived from natural chlorophyll, the primary components of which are referred to as Cu-chlorin e4 and Cu-chlorin e6 (Fig. 2) and sometimes minor amounts of Cu-chlorin e4 ethyl ester [34-38]. With thermal sensitivity similar to that of other water-soluble chlorophyll derivatives [39], SCC has seen common utilization as a food-grade colorant in Europe, Asia, and, to a more limited but growing extent, the United States."

"Henderson and Long [40] orally administered natural chlorophyll and SCC to rats and discovered uncharacterized derivatives dispersed throughout the liver, lymph nodes, and spleen."

"Rapid distribution of SCC in the heart, liver, skin, kidneys, and lungs was noted in ICR mice administered 15 mg/kg body weight by gavage [42]."

"Recently, Egner et al [38] provided concrete evidence that SCC components are in fact absorbable by humans."

"Considering the traditional use of chlorophyll derivatives in medicine [7] and the low toxicity [41], these pigments serve as attractive cancer preventative and potentially therapeutic agents."

"Based on recent epidemiological evidence linking chlorophyll consumption to a decreased risk of colorectal cancer [4] and the high concentration of these pigments in the GI tract, the intestinal epithelia should be highlighted as a logical target tissue to further explore the relationship between chlorophyll and cancer prevention. Investigation of chlorophyll uptake and accumulation by these tissues would serve to expand our understanding of the role these pigments may play in the prevention of GI tract cancers."

upload_2019-1-1_13-27-25.png

"Finally, understanding uptake and metabolism of chlorophyll by intestinal tissues would also begin to address other physiological implications of chlorophyll absorption including potential interplay with structurally homologous porphyrin derivatives such as heme and cytochromes."​

- Chlorophyll Revisited: Anti-inflammatory Activities of Chlorophyll a and Inhibition of Expression of TNF-α Gene by the Same

[Useful: Carrageenan: a review (5.1)]

"The present study for the first time reports the promising anti-inflammatory activities of both chlorophyll a and pheophytin a. Chlorophyll a and b are unstable, and in the plant extracts mostly the degradation products are found. The major degradation products are pheophorbide (chlorophyll without phytidyl side chain and magnesium) and pheophytin. Our unpublished studies show that pheophorbide a has anti-inflammatory activity which is equal to that of pheophytin a. Thus, the degradation products of chlorophyll a are attractive materials for inexpensive phytomedicine development."

"Interestingly, the present study shows for the first time that chlorophyll a and its degradation product pheophytin a inhibit TNF-α gene expression and thereby exhibit antiinflammatory activity. Anti-inflammatory activity and effect on TNF-α gene expression of chlorophyllide a (chlorophyll a without phytyl side chain) and pheophorbide a remain to be studied. However, the degradation products of chlorophylls in the gastro-intestinal tract are likely to have varying levels of pharmacological activities."

"The difference in the structure may explain the difference in the efficacy of chlorophyll a and b with regard to inhibition of TNF-α gene expression and thereby the antiinflammatory activity. At C7 of the tetrapyrrole head, the group attached is aldehyde (–CHO) in the case of chlorophyll b whereas methyl (–CH3) group is attached in chlorophyll a."

"Consumption of chlorophyll-containing green leafy vegetables could provide anti-inflammatory actions in the gastro-intestinal tract. Further, chlorophyll a may be beneficial to those who are suffering from certain auto-immune diseases."

"Although health benefits of chlorophyll derivatives are known, this study reveals for the first time the remarkable anti-inflammatory activity of chlorophyll a and its inhibitory effect on LPS-induced expression of TNF-α gene. Further studies are required for the exploitation of chlorophyll a and its derivatives as medicines and/or nutraceutical for human health care."

"Since the degradation products of chlorophyll a have anti-inflammatory and other pharmacological actions, these can be developed as inexpensive medicine/phytomedicine for certain inflammatory bowel diseases, hyper-immunity, and/or autoimmunity- related inflammations. The present study also indicates that consumption of green leaves may be beneficial to those who are suffering from IBM [International Business Machines]."​

- Antioxidant activity of chlorophylls and their derivatives
- Vitamin K1 Vs. K2 And How Much To Take With Aspirin?
- The Antibacterial Activity of Chlorophyll (mild)
- How plants bind their green pigment chlorophyll: Water-soluble protein helps to understand the photosynthetic apparatus
- Low-dose dietary chlorophyll inhibits multi-organ carcinogenesis in the rainbow trout
- Effects of cooking methods on chlorophylls, pheophytins and colour of selected green vegetables

@haidut - Are you familiar with it?

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter
- Chlorophyll: Structural Properties, Health Benefits and Its Occurrence in Virgin Olive Oils
Digestion, absorption, and cancer preventative activity of dietary chlorophyll derivatives

"Chlorophyll is the most ubiquitous of all natural pigments, reaching levels that can exceed 1000 to 2000 ppm wet weight in some species [5], and is responsible for the color of all green plants [6]. Considering the primary role of chlorophyll in photosynthesis and its close association with yellow/orange carotenoid pigments well known for their bioactivity, these blue-green pigments have often been overlooked with regard to their potential physiological impact and role in the prevention of chronic disease."

"Chlorophyll and its various derivatives have a long-established history of use in traditional medicine and for therapeutic purposes [7]. Both natural chlorophyll and commercial-grade derivatives such as sodium copper chlorophyllin (SCC) have been widely investigated for a range of beneficial biological activities including wound healing [8], anti-inflammatory properties [9,10], control of calcium oxalate crystals [11], and internal deodorization [12]. Furthermore, the ability of both natural and commercial chlorophyll derivatives to act as photosensitizers have enabled their utilization as effective agents in photodynamic therapy of cancer [13-15]."

"Although difficult to generalize across the diversity of plant tissue, the chlorophyll content of commonly consumed green vegetables typically exceeds the levels of other bioactive pigments, such as carotenoids, by up to a 5-fold margin (Table 1). This relatively high concentration makes chlorophyll a significant contributor to the total dietary phytochemical pool."

View attachment 11722
These are different than what I came across once, but it was by dry weight.​
"The sensitivity of natural chlorophylls to extremes in pH and temperature allows for the formation of several distinct derivatives through processing of vegetable tissue and human digestion. The impact of food processing operations on chlorophylls in green fruits and vegetables has been thoroughly studied and is the subject of several reviews [20-22]. The main degradative reactions are summarized in Fig. 2. Thermal processing and/or acidification results in a perceivable discoloration of vegetable tissue from green to brown known as pheophytinization. This color loss is a result of the conversion of natural chlorophylls to [Mg2+]-free derivatives such as pheophytins and pyropheophytins [23-25]. Chlorophyllide derivatives can also be formed through mild thermal processing because an increase in endogenous chlorophyllase enzyme activity occurs from the mild heating of plant tissues [26]. In a process known as regreening, metallochlorophyll complexes of pheophytin a and pyropheophytin a are rapidly formed by the addition of divalent metal salts of zinc (Zn2+) and copper (Cu2+) to thermally processed vegetables before thermal treatment [27-31]. Both Cu2+ and Zn2+ complexes of chlorophylls have been shown to be significantly more stable to food processing conditions than their native counterparts [32] and have been used commercially both in the canning of green beans to improve the color of the finished product and in the generation of green color additives [27,33]."

"The sensitivity of chlorophyll to acidic conditions makes the gastric environment a logical candidate for significant chlorophyll modification. Early investigations provided insight into chlorophyll digestive instability by identifying decomposition products of both natural and commercial-grade derivatives in urine and feces. In general, [Mg2+]-free derivatives (including pheophytins and pyropheophytins), attributed to gastric acidity, were isolated as a predominant end-product in human feces [46,47]."

"Commercial-grade water-soluble chlorophyll derivatives known as chlorins are used as food-grade colorants. Although available chelated to various transition metals (Zn, Fe, Co, Cu) for distinct color and stability, the most common form is SCC. SCC is synthesized from a crude natural chlorophyll extract by treatment with methanolic sodium hydroxide followed by replacement of the central Mg atom with Cu [7]. The final product consists of a mixture of numerous chlorin-type compounds derived from natural chlorophyll, the primary components of which are referred to as Cu-chlorin e4 and Cu-chlorin e6 (Fig. 2) and sometimes minor amounts of Cu-chlorin e4 ethyl ester [34-38]. With thermal sensitivity similar to that of other water-soluble chlorophyll derivatives [39], SCC has seen common utilization as a food-grade colorant in Europe, Asia, and, to a more limited but growing extent, the United States."

"Henderson and Long [40] orally administered natural chlorophyll and SCC to rats and discovered uncharacterized derivatives dispersed throughout the liver, lymph nodes, and spleen."

"Rapid distribution of SCC in the heart, liver, skin, kidneys, and lungs was noted in ICR mice administered 15 mg/kg body weight by gavage [42]."

"Recently, Egner et al [38] provided concrete evidence that SCC components are in fact absorbable by humans."

"Considering the traditional use of chlorophyll derivatives in medicine [7] and the low toxicity [41], these pigments serve as attractive cancer preventative and potentially therapeutic agents."

"Based on recent epidemiological evidence linking chlorophyll consumption to a decreased risk of colorectal cancer [4] and the high concentration of these pigments in the GI tract, the intestinal epithelia should be highlighted as a logical target tissue to further explore the relationship between chlorophyll and cancer prevention. Investigation of chlorophyll uptake and accumulation by these tissues would serve to expand our understanding of the role these pigments may play in the prevention of GI tract cancers."

"Finally, understanding uptake and metabolism of chlorophyll by intestinal tissues would also begin to address other physiological implications of chlorophyll absorption including potential interplay with structurally homologous porphyrin derivatives such as heme and cytochromes."​

- Chlorophyll Revisited: Anti-inflammatory Activities of Chlorophyll a and Inhibition of Expression of TNF-α Gene by the Same

[Useful: Carrageenan: a review (5.1)]

"The present study for the first time reports the promising anti-inflammatory activities of both chlorophyll a and pheophytin a. Chlorophyll a and b are unstable, and in the plant extracts mostly the degradation products are found. The major degradation products are pheophorbide (chlorophyll without phytidyl side chain and magnesium) and pheophytin. Our unpublished studies show that pheophorbide a has anti-inflammatory activity which is equal to that of pheophytin a. Thus, the degradation products of chlorophyll a are attractive materials for inexpensive phytomedicine development."

"Interestingly, the present study shows for the first time that chlorophyll a and its degradation product pheophytin a inhibit TNF-α gene expression and thereby exhibit antiinflammatory activity. Anti-inflammatory activity and effect on TNF-α gene expression of chlorophyllide a (chlorophyll a without phytyl side chain) and pheophorbide a remain to be studied. However, the degradation products of chlorophylls in the gastro-intestinal tract are likely to have varying levels of pharmacological activities."

"The difference in the structure may explain the difference in the efficacy of chlorophyll a and b with regard to inhibition of TNF-α gene expression and thereby the antiinflammatory activity. At C7 of the tetrapyrrole head, the group attached is aldehyde (–CHO) in the case of chlorophyll b whereas methyl (–CH3) group is attached in chlorophyll a."

"Consumption of chlorophyll-containing green leafy vegetables could provide anti-inflammatory actions in the gastro-intestinal tract. Further, chlorophyll a may be beneficial to those who are suffering from certain auto-immune diseases."

"Although health benefits of chlorophyll derivatives are known, this study reveals for the first time the remarkable anti-inflammatory activity of chlorophyll a and its inhibitory effect on LPS-induced expression of TNF-α gene. Further studies are required for the exploitation of chlorophyll a and its derivatives as medicines and/or nutraceutical for human health care."

"Since the degradation products of chlorophyll a have anti-inflammatory and other pharmacological actions, these can be developed as inexpensive medicine/phytomedicine for certain inflammatory bowel diseases, hyper-immunity, and/or autoimmunity- related inflammations. The present study also indicates that consumption of green leaves may be beneficial to those who are suffering from IBM [International Business Machines]."​

- Antioxidant activity of chlorophylls and their derivatives
- Vitamin K1 Vs. K2 And How Much To Take With Aspirin?
- The Antibacterial Activity of Chlorophyll (mild)
- How plants bind their green pigment chlorophyll: Water-soluble protein helps to understand the photosynthetic apparatus
- Low-dose dietary chlorophyll inhibits multi-organ carcinogenesis in the rainbow trout
- Effects of cooking methods on chlorophylls, pheophytins and colour of selected green vegetables

@haidut - Are you familiar with it?

I have seen some studies in the past on green algae intake inhibiting the synthesis of polyamines like putrescine and cadaverine, which drive the progression of cancer. Seem to remember @Travis posting something on that topic too.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
So which one?

For me the effects of Chlorophyllin are much more noticeable then with Chlorophyll, i’m feeling pretty good these days but in the past if i walked in to a grocery store, all the perfumes and chemicals from the cleaning and detergent isle permeate the store, i would start to shut down, same if i was in a lot of traffic or in a city, once i started taking the Chlorophyllin capsules i could handle those environments much better, usually within 20min after talking a capsule i can feel my body relaxing and my mind more focused.

Chlorophyllin capsules are not an expensive supplement, very safe to experiment with and see how it feels.

Inaut

Bringing this back to life. I used to take chlorophyllin some time ago. Anybody out there?

Inaut

I have Now Foods Brand. Same thing pretty much. It definitely works as a deodorizer.

Dave Clark

I have been using Life Extensions chlorophyllin product for over 20 years. Never noticed any 'feeling' from it, but I use it to prevent and detoxify the heterocyclic amines, and other by products of metabolism, etc. Just figured it was a good supplement to help in those regards. I also get chlorophyll from organic wheat or barley grass juice powder that I use from time to time, plus any other greens high in that. I never get odors from garlic or any other food. Not sure if parsley is high in chlorophyll, I think it is, but that is another thing I use. Just found out that a teaspoon of dried parsley can have as much as 500 mg of apigenin ! Who knew?!

Inaut

@Dave Clark I'm glad we hang in the same circles :) Have you tried or noticed any effects from lllt/red light therapy while taking chlorophyllin?

Dave Clark

@Dave Clark I'm glad we hang in the same circles :) Have you tried or noticed any effects from lllt/red light therapy while taking chlorophyllin?
Well, I don't notice any palpable effects from my light therapy, or like I said, the chlorophyllin either. I think they are both valuable, or at least I have a blind faith in the science that I read on them. I actually noticed an improvement in my thyroid after a few months on methylene blue, not sure if it is that on its own, or if it is acting synergistically with something else. How does the red light therapy and chlorophyllin interact, not sure I have ever read about the two together?

Inaut

I think chlorophyll(in) is a photo sensitizor and would have some response to light. Not sure if red/infrared affects it but isn’t chlorophyll to plants what cytochrome c is to us humans? It’s a stretch kinda but I’m liking it. MB and chlorophyll fill a lot of gaps for me (copper importance—-my newest re-found interest)

Dave Clark

I think chlorophyll(in) is a photo sensitizor and would have some response to light. Not sure if red/infrared affects it but isn’t chlorophyll to plants what cytochrome c is to us humans? It’s a stretch kinda but I’m liking it. MB and chlorophyll fill a lot of gaps for me (copper importance—-my newest re-found interest)
Okay, didn't think of those things. I will have to do some looking, but I don't like to take photo sensitizing for granted. I am hoping that is not a problem. I do my light work hours away from taking chlorophyll (in) or MB, so I am hoping they don't conflict with each other, if anything, I would want them to help each other. Be aware that the Life Extension chlorophyllin is not a copper based anymore, theirs is a magnesium based chlorophyllin. If you find out any connections about the aforementioned things, please post.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals