Chlorella,Spirulina,Blue Green Algae - Do we agree these are useless?

johnwester130

Even in gardening, but also in nutrition, these are totally worthless foods?

Despite all the reviews and studies on them?

catharsis

I don't think so. There's quite a bit of publications on both "algae" for heavy metal chelation, I am currently taking handfuls of a mixed spirulina/chlorella tablet product when I eat commercial food. They are high in iron but I think the antioxidants found in them make up for that fact...

One of the algae is high in GLA which is used for prostaglandin synthesis if I remember correctly; Travis had quite a bit of writing on prostaglandins and a variety of PUFA that I still need to read through.

Kram

Add in fucoidan - this supposedly has a ton of health benefits, as long as it's high quality. I think it can help increase stem cells and stem cell differentiation. It can also activate sirtuin 6 which is important for DNA repair.

magnesiumania

Yeah but additionally they are potentially harmful. Chlorella mess up your Super Oxide Dismutase enzyme function. Algea trigger psychosis in sone people

TheSir

Coincidence or not, I've had warts fall off during spirulina supplementation in the past.

Last edited:

Peater

Yeah but additionally they are potentially harmful. Chlorella mess up your Super Oxide Dismutase enzyme function. Algea trigger psychosis in sone people
That's really weird you say that. I remember reading years ago the vegan omega 3 supplements from algae could cause issues like that.

Dave Clark

I don't agree. I see more studies showing the opposite, with breakdowns of the nutritional status of the various algeas, plus many positive research studies against conditions and illnesses. There are negative points, in terms of product quality and safety, but that is mostly an exception, not a rule, and good third party tested products can be obtained.

Grapelander

Never say Never. Sea weeds can detox aluminum from zeolites -if- someone uses zeolites to chelate Cesium-137.
I never tried this; but it has a patent. We can treat seaweed like a medicine; not a supplement.

DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE INVENTION

[0018] Cesium Eliminator-137 is based on five key ingredients: zeolite powder, dehydrated seaweed, seawater extract, chlorella, spirulina.
CE-137 is laboratory validated to bind with 96% of cesium atoms during digestion. The zeolite powder is the key element in this formula, as it binds with and captures cesium atoms.

[0019] However, zeolite powders normally release very high levels of aluminum, and somewhat high levels of lead. The other ingredients in the present invention are designed to bind with and capture the excess aluminum and lead that is introduced by the zeolites, allowing zeolites to be safely used to bind cesium.

[0020] Zeolites are, in general, microporous, aluminosilicate minerals of type Clinoptilolite. All zeolite materials contain a high concentration of aluminum in its structure. All zeolites also contain lead. Typically, zeolites which are digested in gastric acid release significant concentrations of aluminum, and much lower concentrations of lead. This invention makes use of chemistry discoveries and methods which minimize these releases of aluminum and lead, resulting in them being measured at near-zero levels.

[0050] In this laboratory testing. CE-137 was shown to accomplish approximately a 96% reduction in Cesium-137. In addition, the introduction of aluminum and lead, both typically released by zeolite materials, are minimized essentially to zero due to the ion exchange effects of the accompanying materials in the CE-137 formula; resulting in Al below 1 ppm, and resulting in Pb below 50 ppb.

Tzheng2012

I take chlorella for binding toxins in food. And for some reason ben greenfield claims spirulina to protect against pufa in foods. I don't know the mechanism of this though. Perhaps GLA somehow?

I'm interested about the SOD @magnesiumania mentioned though, have any more info about this?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals