Children With Autism Have High Serotonin Levels

haidut

Forum Supporter
I posted a few studies on using anti-serotonin drugs (specifically 5-HT2 antagonists) as a potential treatment for autism. This study adds more weight to the evidence for causative role of serotonin in autism by finding out that children with autism have abnormally high blood serotonin levels. There are a few recent clinical trials with TPH inhibitors for treating IBS and I think these would be prime candidates for treating autism as they target serotonin in the gut, which is where autism is thought to be centered as well.

New Study Conducted Shed Light to Possible Treatments for Autism Spectrum Disorder

"...Another thing the study found out is the relationship of serotonin to ASD. The results show that about 30 percent of the total number of the correspondents, which are children having the disorder, have hyperserotonemia. When they have undergone tests, their blood exam showed they are positive to have an above normal level of serotonin. With the information gathered, Cascio and her group became certain of how hyperserotonemia affects people with ASD. And to know more about it, she said that the group is currently working to prove their hypothesis, which she believes will be a stable ground for future research."

StrongMom

@haidut @ecstatichamster

I have two boys on ASD. One is extremely constipated, the other is not. Both are hypothyroid. I think in the constipated one, hypothyroidism symptoms are dominating.

I will try your ritanserin at some point handout.

DaveFoster

I'm autistic; I have gut problems. I think hypothyroidism predisposes people to insufficient immunity, which leads to gastrointestinal infections and overgrowth, excessive serotonin production, and a cascade of health problems.

Ray Peat had similar problems as a child due to his hypothyroid mother; my mother also had gut problems and was assuredly hypothyroid.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals