haidut

Forum Supporter
One of the unquestionable dogmas of genetics (up until) today is that all mitochondrial DNA of a child is inherited strictly from the mother. This firmly entrenched belief is taught as an immutable truth in medical schools and is used to justify extensive genealogical genomic tests down the mother's ancestral tree if her child has a mitochondrial disease that is not present in the mom, even if it is present in the dad.
Well, the study below turns yet another genetic dogma on its head. If the dad can also contribute to the mitochondrial genome of his children, then the father's metabolic health is just as important as the mother's. Studies showing that the father's metabolic issues influence his offspring's health have been popping up since the 1950s, but those studies have always been explained away with issues in an unknown maternal ancestor. Little by little, the house of cards is crumbling...

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2018/11/21/1810946115
Dads (Not Just Moms) Can Pass on Mitochondrial DNA, According to Provocative New Study
"...It's long been thought that people inherit mitochondrial DNA — genetic material found inside cells' mitochondria — exclusively from their mothers. But now, a provocative new study finds that, in rare cases, dads can pass on mitochondrial DNA, too. The study found evidence that 17 people from three different families appeared to inherit mitochondrial DNA from both their mother and their father. The radical findings, from researchers at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, were then confirmed by two additional laboratories using several different testing methods. If the findings hold up, "this fundamentally changes everything that we believed about mitochondrial inheritance, which is huge," said Dr. Sajel Lala, a clinical geneticist at Nicklaus Children's Hospital in Miami who was not involved in the study. Still, Lala said the results will need to be replicated by more research groups, and published in additional scientific papers. But the results could have "major implications on [genetic] counseling and the field of genetics overall." [Genetics by the Numbers: 10 Tantalizing Tales]."

"...Indeed, it's not unusual for doctors to ignore odd results of mitochondrial testing, especially if the patient does not appear to have a known mitochondrial disease. "[When] we don't get the result that we would expect, we kind of leave it at that," Lala said. If the findings are proved true, further research is needed to determine exactly how fathers pass on mitochondrial DNA, and how frequently this occurs. Figuring out how this happens "will expand our fundamental understanding of the process of mitochondrial inheritance" and may lead to new ways of preventing the transmission of mitochondrial diseases, the researchers concluded."

Just seen this. Thanks for posting!

FoodForeal

Mitochondrial DNA is not only inherited from the mother which means the "Out of Africa" theory or African Eve theory, dependent on maternal mtDNA inheritance, is false.

"
Perhaps the most egregious mistatement appears in Dawkins’ “The Blind Watchmaker” (ref. 57, p. 176): “All the mitochondria in you are descended from the small population that traveled from your mother in her egg. Sperms are too small to contain mitochondria (our italics), so mitochondria travel exclusively down the female line, and male bodies are dead ends as far as mitochondrial reproduction is concerned. Incidentally, this means that we can use mitochondria to trace our ancestry strictly down the female line.”
In one of his most recent books, Dawkins (58) concedes, “Sperms are too small to contain more than a few mitochondria … these mitochondria are cast away with the tail when the sperm head is absorbed in the egg at fertilization.” Having acknowledged almost grudgingly that sperm may contain mitochondria, he elaborates on the significance of the total loss of paternal mtDNA for more than 12 pages. Thus, we see a progression of error from the position that paternal inheritance of mtDNA is insignificant to another where such a phenomenon is declared impossible because the sperm supposedly lacks mitochondria. The common thread in all of this is that many authors have come to accept the obligatory “loss” of paternal mtDNA because it does not conflict with their belief in the African Eve hypothesis (43) and its dependence upon strict maternal inheritance. Indeed the supposed loss of the sperm’s contribution has progressed in step with the intensity of the debate between the “Recent African Genesis” (50) and the “Multiregional Evolution” models of human origin (51). In primatology, the mtDNA genome is even treated as “haplotype” (59, 60). Perhaps the major irony in this story of the wayward sperm midpiece is that Dawkins, who invented the idea of the meme, its transmission, and inherent changeability (49), has unwittingly contributed to the story’s climax. We hope that this article will lead to extinction of this particular meme.
Go to:

CONCLUSIONS​

Mistakes in science should be corrected. If they are being perpetrated by scientists who are copying from one another without checking the facts, a serious dilemma is created. Trustingly naive misstatements concerning the total loss of the paternal mtDNA at fertilization, based on the false assumption that the sperm tail is discarded, must not be used to support theories of evolutionary relationships based on obligatory maternal inheritance of mitochondria. We simply do not yet know what happens to the paternal contribution of mtDNA in humans, but the simplest explanation is that it is diluted beyond recognition by researchers using relatively low resolution techniques of molecular biology. We do know that paternal mtDNA enters the oocyte at fertilization. Models of human evolution using mtDNA analysis must take these facts into account. All theories of the timing of human evolution that depend on the premise that the sperm midpiece does not contribute to the embryo must be reevaluated or rejected.
"

Sperm mtDNA can combine with egg mtDNA
Phylogenetic trees constructed using human mitochondrial sequences contain a large number of homoplasies. These are due either to repeated mutation or to recombination between mitochondrial lineages. We show that a tree constructed using synonymous variation in the protein coding sequences of 29 largely complete human mitochondrial molecules contains 22 homoplasies at 32 phylogenetically informative sites. This level of homoplasy is very unlikely if inheritance is clonal, even if we take into account base composition bias. There must either be 'hypervariable' sites or recombination between mitochondria. We present evidence which suggests that hypervariable sites do not exist in our data. It therefore seems likely that recombination has occurred between mitochondrial lineages in humans.

Last edited:

LA

One of the unquestionable dogmas of genetics (up until) today is that all mitochondrial DNA of a child is inherited strictly from the mother. This firmly entrenched belief is taught as an immutable truth in medical schools and is used to justify extensive genealogical genomic tests down the mother's ancestral tree if her child has a mitochondrial disease that is not present in the mom, even if it is present in the dad.
Well, the study below turns yet another genetic dogma on its head. If the dad can also contribute to the mitochondrial genome of his children, then the father's metabolic health is just as important as the mother's. Studies showing that the father's metabolic issues influence his offspring's health have been popping up since the 1950s, but those studies have always been explained away with issues in an unknown maternal ancestor. Little by little, the house of cards is crumbling...

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2018/11/21/1810946115
Dads (Not Just Moms) Can Pass on Mitochondrial DNA, According to Provocative New Study
"...It's long been thought that people inherit mitochondrial DNA — genetic material found inside cells' mitochondria — exclusively from their mothers. But now, a provocative new study finds that, in rare cases, dads can pass on mitochondrial DNA, too. The study found evidence that 17 people from three different families appeared to inherit mitochondrial DNA from both their mother and their father. The radical findings, from researchers at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, were then confirmed by two additional laboratories using several different testing methods. If the findings hold up, "this fundamentally changes everything that we believed about mitochondrial inheritance, which is huge," said Dr. Sajel Lala, a clinical geneticist at Nicklaus Children's Hospital in Miami who was not involved in the study. Still, Lala said the results will need to be replicated by more research groups, and published in additional scientific papers. But the results could have "major implications on [genetic] counseling and the field of genetics overall." [Genetics by the Numbers: 10 Tantalizing Tales]."

"...Indeed, it's not unusual for doctors to ignore odd results of mitochondrial testing, especially if the patient does not appear to have a known mitochondrial disease. "[When] we don't get the result that we would expect, we kind of leave it at that," Lala said. If the findings are proved true, further research is needed to determine exactly how fathers pass on mitochondrial DNA, and how frequently this occurs. Figuring out how this happens "will expand our fundamental understanding of the process of mitochondrial inheritance" and may lead to new ways of preventing the transmission of mitochondrial diseases, the researchers concluded."
I wouldnt call it a "dogma" simply that the strongest emphasis is from the mother back to her mother, to the grandmother to the great-grandmother, to the great-great-grandmother etc. such as I have from my mother back to an Island in the Baltic sea, which I was also able to prove by searching back year by year through the records although my mtDNA testing also shows that connection and so does my mother and her brother (I had them tested too)

Obviously, my dad's mtDNA is from his mother and "all" of his dna becomes part of the Autosomal DNA of his children.

I was able to discover that his mother's long term line (many years ago migration) came from the near-east possibly Persia or the Pashtun areas and that they had light eyes, light skin and light hair. With his permission, and his signature, I was able to involve his mtDNA in a test conducted by the University of Madrid. They were trying to discover more about a mummy that they have in Madrid that was found on the Canary Islands. Although there is proof that the people migrated up through Spain, France and Italy. The testing and study of the test my dad was in did not show or prove an exact connection to the mummy in Madrid.

The end result was that many years ago (a few thousand) my nonna's mtDNA came from the near east (Pashtun, Persia, Upper Caste Hindu and so on such as Kurds. It helped explain why many of the people in their small village in Italy were blonds with blue or green eyes besides the fact that the village also had a prison for the Serfs who had rebelled against the feudal overlord in Milano (northern Italy) in about 1030-ish. The prisoners were eventually sent to Southern Italy and put into a fortress. After they were freed many settled in that area of southern Italy.

My grandmother (dad's mom) told me that they grew no grain or vegetables in their part of Southern Italy, high up in the mountains, due to having snow for about 7 months per year about 12 to 15 feet deep so they depended on meat for food

An allergy to Fava Beans is usually only found in near or middle eastern people and on testing I have a proven allergy to Fava beans. In fact, I dislike and feel terrible if I eat any beans whatsoever.