Childhood Obesity, Rapid Growth Linked To Pregnant Moms Eating Fish

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by haidut, Feb 17, 2016.

1. haidut

haidut Member

The official explanation is that there are organic pollutants in the consumed fish, but I think the overload of omega-3 that come from consuming fish at least 3 times is a much more likely explanation.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/02/160215113907.htm

"...Women who ate fish more than three times per week when they were pregnant gave birth to children with higher BMI values at 2, 4 and 6 years of age compared with women who ate fish less. High maternal fish intake during pregnancy also was associated with an increased risk of rapid growth from birth to 2 years and with an increased risk of overweight/obesity for children at ages 4 and 6 years compared with maternal fish intake while pregnant of once a week or less, the results indicate. The magnitude of the effect of fish intake was greater in girls than boys."

2. DaveFoster

DaveFoster Member

Writer
    They don't mention what type of fish. Absolutely incredible; bravo scientists.

Nevermind; it's in the table. If the p value conveys BMI score, then "other seafood" contains enough heavy metals to affect the childrens' weights.

I think there's something to these heart-healthy omega-3's causing problems here.

3. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Yeah, I just thought it is sad that the only plausible mechanism the scientists would consider was the heavy metals overload, even though people living in land-locked countries and eating a lot less fish have just as much heavy metals in their tissues but don't seem to have such problems. I guess it is case of unshakable assumptions - i.e. "PUFA is essential, therefore it cannot be the PUFA causing these issues".