Childhood Obesity, Rapid Growth Linked To Pregnant Moms Eating Fish

haidut

Forum Supporter
The official explanation is that there are organic pollutants in the consumed fish, but I think the overload of omega-3 that come from consuming fish at least 3 times is a much more likely explanation.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/02/160215113907.htm

"...Women who ate fish more than three times per week when they were pregnant gave birth to children with higher BMI values at 2, 4 and 6 years of age compared with women who ate fish less. High maternal fish intake during pregnancy also was associated with an increased risk of rapid growth from birth to 2 years and with an increased risk of overweight/obesity for children at ages 4 and 6 years compared with maternal fish intake while pregnant of once a week or less, the results indicate. The magnitude of the effect of fish intake was greater in girls than boys."

DaveFoster

They don't mention what type of fish. Absolutely incredible; bravo scientists.

Nevermind; it's in the table. If the p value conveys BMI score, then "other seafood" contains enough heavy metals to affect the childrens' weights.

I think there's something to these heart-healthy omega-3's causing problems here.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
They don't mention what type of fish. Absolutely incredible; bravo scientists.

Nevermind; it's in the table. If the p value conveys BMI score, then "other seafood" contains enough heavy metals to affect the childrens' weights.

I think there's something to these heart-healthy omega-3's causing problems here.

Yeah, I just thought it is sad that the only plausible mechanism the scientists would consider was the heavy metals overload, even though people living in land-locked countries and eating a lot less fish have just as much heavy metals in their tissues but don't seem to have such problems. I guess it is case of unshakable assumptions - i.e. "PUFA is essential, therefore it cannot be the PUFA causing these issues".