Chicken Soup Really Is Good For The Soul: "comfort Food" Fulfills The Need To Belong

paymanz

Chicken soup really is good for the soul: "comfort food" fulfills the need to belong. - PubMed - NCBI

Theories of social surrogacy and embodied cognition assume that cognitive associations with nonhuman stimuli can be affectively charged. In the current research, we examined whether the "comfort" of comfort foods comes from affective associations with relationships. Two experiments support the hypotheses that comfort foods are associated with relationships and alleviate loneliness. Experiment 1 found that the consumption of comfort foods automatically activates relationship-related concepts. Experiment 2 found that comfort foods buffer against belongingness threats in people who already have positive associations with relationships (i.e., are secure in attachment style). Implications for social surrogacy, need to belong, embodied cognition, and eating behavior are discussed.
----------------
Its interesting they have quoted this in their paper:

As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.
—Ernest Hemingway, A Moveable Feast (1964, p. 18)

Attachments

• troisi2011.pdf
    360.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

whit

Interesting study.
Thanks Paymanz!
I had an interesting experience with chicken soup a few years ago after a bout with food poisoning.
It really brought me back around within just a few minutes.

L

lollipop

Interesting study.
Thanks Paymanz!
I had an interesting experience with chicken soup a few years ago after a bout with food poisoning.
It really brought me back around within just a few minutes.
I have experienced this same thing. Incredibly healing.

Back
Top Bottom