Chicken And Eggs Intake Associated With Anti-androgenic Phthalate Intake

Elephanto

Eating chicken may lead to a smaller penis | NutritionFacts.org

Phthalates had been known to affect the genital development of lab rats, but recent human studies have also shown adverse effects on sexual health and development.

The most statistically significant finding in their analysis was the link between poultry consumption and MEHP.

Those that reported on the Study for Future Families data implied that having a small penis size made boys “less masculine”, but the link between masculine behavior and the types of phthalates found in chicken wasn’t established until last year. Researchers found that boys who were exposed did indeed exhibit less male-typical play (such as preferring trucks over dolls).

the finding that egg consumption is significantly associated with levels of MEHP too, suggests that chickens themselves may be contaminated with phthalates and that food is not being contaminated just through packaging and processing.”

I'll also add that fishes and shrimps have also been known to ingest microplastics from the oceans.

Douglas Ek

Just the article title says it all so ridiculous who would write an article like this hahahaha... Watch out all black men eating all that KFC lol sorry for the prejudice joke but this article is so dumb
"Eating chicken may lead to a smaller penis"

postman

It's stupid to blow this off. I think the overall effect of eggs is androgenic, despite this.

tankasnowgod

It's stupid to blow this off. I think the overall effect of eggs is androgenic, despite this.

Stupid to blow what off, an opinion piece by someone who has has an agenda he is pushing that he profits off of?

OP
E

Elephanto

This is not a study. Just note it is a opini0n piece
If you read the article, it contains links to all the studies mentioned. I just thought it was a convenient synthesis of these studies.

What "facts?" The link is to an opinion piece.
How is it an "opinion piece", it's literally a report of studies where an association of phthalate burden with poultry and eggs intake was found and a study that shows phthalates have anti-androgenic effects in humans.

Just the article title says it all so ridiculous who would write an article like this hahahaha... Watch out all black men eating all that KFC lol sorry for the prejudice joke but this article is so dumb
"Eating chicken may lead to a smaller penis"

So reporting a fact is "ridiculous" ?
There was one phthalate particularly associated with a smaller penis, mono 2-ethylhexyl phthalate, MEHP.

Sure the article title might be sensationalist but this not why I posted it, rather to put attention on the importance of poultry and eggs intake in relation to phthalate burden in humans, if not I would have chosen the same title for the thread as the article. Now the penis part shows only proof that it happens in babies, but you'll find many testimonies of people having reduced penis size on propecia showing that the size can change in adults according to androgen levels.

Last edited:
OP
E

Elephanto

it's been demonstrated that vegans have lower average testosterone.

Observational studies between men from different dietary groups have shown that a vegan diet is associated with small but significant increases in sex-hormone-binding globulin and testosterone concentrations in comparison with meat-eaters.
The effects of diet on circulating sex hormone levels in men. - PubMed - NCBI

And that is offset by the fact that most of them eat a lot of soy, if someone actually knows what he's doing with a vegan diet the increase in testosterone could be much more important.

Last edited:
OP
E

Elephanto

This isn't an RCT. It isn't even an observational study. It is a review of other epidemiological studies.

Your point being ? Reviewing several epidemiological studies only reinforces the validity of the findings, whereas a single epidemiological study can have confounding variables.

benaoao

There’s nothing magic about a vegan diet. A raise in SHBG is nice and all but this is achieved on no vegan diets too. Since insulin lowers it a lot the goal is to restore insulin sensitivity, so glucose metabolism, through a better diet. Low GI carbs do that in overweight sedentary people, dietary fat reduction does that as well = it happens that a whole food vegan diet does that. But it’s not the only one

Plus, I shared a chart on phtalates. Whenever vegans and their idols share an environmental opinion piece they conveniently forget that the exposure is always super high in grains, to begin with.

Dairy would seem to be quite a bigger concern than poultry, as always.

CoolTweetPete

Dr. Peat is clearly of the opinion that most things can be double-edged swords. He talks about cooking mushrooms for 3 hours and people take that as gospel, but in other interviews he has discussed that this length of time destroys some of the cancer-protective substances but destroys the toxins. Everything is written into the fine lines of context and perspective.

He has also discussed chicken being anti-thyroid and the protein in eggs being of such high quality that without glucose intake around the same time, eggs can cause a cortisol surge by lowering the blood sugar. These are two possible mechanisms aside from the phalates, which probably contribute.

But it’s all context. This is why science values variable control.

OP
E

Elephanto

@CoolTweetPete I think that eggs have been a pro-testosterone factor for most of humanity's existence. It just happens that as we destroy the planet with plastic and pesticides, the properties of some foods have changed. Peat has changed his mind about mushroom in the past, I wonder what he would think of the findings in these studies.

@benaoao
If grains were a more important source of phthalates burden than chicken and eggs then this study shouldn't have found that only poultry and eggs intake had a significant association with phthalate burden, since meat eaters eat a lot of grains too. Just like anti-androgenic dioxins are stored in animal fat, perhaps it also renders phthalates more bioavailable. Maybe the fiber in vegetables moves it around the body and out without them being assimilated, just some theories I'm throwing here that could explain the findings.

Last edited:

Douglas Ek

@CoolTweetPete I think that eggs have been a pro-testosterone factor for most of humanity's existence. It just happens that as we destroy the planet with plastic and pesticides, the properties of some foods have changed. Peat has changed his mind about mushroom in the past, I wonder what he would think of the findings in these studies.

@benaoao
If grains were a more important source of phthalates burden than chicken and eggs then this study shouldn't have found that only poultry and eggs intake had a significant association with phthalate burden, since meat eaters eat a lot of grains too. Just like anti-androgenic dioxins are stored in animal fat, perhaps it also renders phthalates more bioavailable. Maybe the fiber in vegetables moves it around the body and out without them being assimilated, just some theories I'm throwing here that could explain the findings.

If you worry about plastic then stop it's everywhere anyway. Especially seafood. All synthetic clothing fibers release microscopic plastic fibers into the water drains and sewers which goes out in the ocean. All plants and animals on the planet probably have plastic in them thanks to mankind. Humans certainly do. But there's still very androgenic men out there and some not. Don't think the effects are that huge yet at least. Maybe in another 100 years we will all be impotent *****

lvysaur

So eat less meat of higher quality and lower fat content? Triple bird with one stone; Americans eat too much meat anyway.

CoolTweetPete

So eat less meat of higher quality and lower fat content? Triple bird with one stone; Americans eat too much meat anyway.

This approach has done me well. I think low-fat chicken can be ok if some preventative measures are used (BCAA or gelatin to block tryptophan, maybe coffee to block iron).