chewing gum?

chris

Anyone know what Peat thinks about chewing gum? Supposedly increases metabolism and create more saliva, so may benefit teeth as well.

OP
chris

chris

I asked Dr Peat about this, he said "Some of the gums with additives are interesting, but I haven't seen whether there's long term benefit from them."

I asked him by "interesting" whether he meant positively or negatively and he replied "needing more research" So I am still unsure.

Bones

It seems hard to find chewing gum that just has sugar in it without other garbage. With chewing gum, I wonder if there's a benefit to creating more saliva. It's like getting your body ready for digestion, which begins in the mouth and not giving it anything to digest. I guess oil pulls do the same but you don't swallow the saliva you created so I don't know if that makes a difference.

John Eels

Has anyone looked into chewing gum lately? I want one with only gum and some glucose.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I looked a couple weeks ago at the store and all of them had really long names for ingredients and I could not find one with just plain ole sugar.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Hmmm, have to keep an eye out for that. Thanks gretchen!

John Eels

@Charlie
I like that part of your sentence: "...and all of them had really long names for ingredients..."

All this gibberish is only there to obscure and hide from the truth. All these additives are probably not good for you. In the best case they are harmless.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think it would be safe to bet those big words are all probably harmful in some way.

jaketthomas

You're right. It's hard to find gum that doesn't have Aspartame, Sucrolose, Xylitol or Stevia in it. When I was a kid, you would buy Juicy Fruit or Bazooka Gum, and it had like 6 ingredients. Sugar, Gum Base, Dextrose, Glycerol, Lecithin, Natural Flavors. Over the years, they added aspartame, BHT, ace K, corn syrup, artificial color, and other crap to it. Juicy Fruit used to be my go-to gum. When they ruined the formula, I never chewed gum again.

Chad_Catholic

You're right. It's hard to find gum that doesn't have Aspartame, Sucrolose, Xylitol or Stevia in it. When I was a kid, you would buy Juicy Fruit or Bazooka Gum, and it had like 6 ingredients. Sugar, Gum Base, Dextrose, Glycerol, Lecithin, Natural Flavors. Over the years, they added aspartame, BHT, ace K, corn syrup, artificial color, and other crap to it. Juicy Fruit used to be my go-to gum. When they ruined the formula, I never chewed gum again.
Actually, a lot of members are now using Xylitol for its anti-bacterial effect. Just make sure you get enough sugar