Chemi's Disorganised Log Pile

Chemi

Goals:
-Stabilise endocrine function - less fatigue, more energy
-Regulate mood - alleviate depression/anxiety (improve stress tolerance)

Hopefully can move onto weight loss once the main priorities are settled.

Changes so far:
-3 weeks into RP and mood is becoming much more stable, compared to my low carb days in the past.

-Libido is lower overall but more "steady" rather than constant fluctuations.

-I now sleep a solid 10 hours instead of the previous 6 hours I used to get, but I noticed I have a slightly more sluggish feel opposed to literally leap onto my feet straight from sleep like a commando.

-Hands and feet getting ALOT warmer opposed to the ice cold purple - blue - pink Reynaud's characteristics, used to get some kinda inflammation on my right hand during the winter that felt like little solid lumps on the right hands pinky and ring finger joints.

-Skin looks more plump and is beginning to regain moisture, still not as oily as it has been in the past.

-I still sweat like a fountain regardless of weather (especially armpits), it seems like a sweat slightly less.

-Muscle mass recovering.

-Appetite seems very easy to control, no binge cravings but rather anticipating my next dose of OJ and Cheese

Temperature logs gonna be crude. Ordered some thyroid called "NDT - Thiroyd" - going to start recording temperatures to keep track before starting it.

Temp

23/11/12

10 am - 36.1(oral)

6 pm - 36.6 (oral)

OP
C

Chemi

Made some Gelatin Gummy sheets by simmering:
- 1/2 cup unflavored gelatin
- 1 sachet of flavored jello
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of orange juice

Ate it all in one sitting (damn glutton). Felt really sleepy immediately so I went to have a nap, woke up feeling more refreshed than usual. Been experiencing a surge in libido for the last few hours that doesn't seem to subside.

Interesting~

*Edit* Temperature reading: 25/11/12 - 36.6

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re:

Chemi said:
Been experiencing a surge in libido for the last few hours that doesn't seem to subside.

Must. Make. Gummy Bears. NOW. :lol:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:rolling

OP
C

Chemi

You guys crack me up :lol:

I decided to eat some potato and feel the "heat" is still rising exponentially, I literally feel overheated! :shock:

26/11/12 - 37 degrees celcius! (98.6F)

Starting to think I wasn't eating enough calories with most of my energy being from fruits. Potato seems to be what was needed.

Breakfast was 4 large potato's (roughly 800g) grilled with roughly 5 grams of butter and 5 grams of coconut oil, 100 grams of feta cheese, 250ml orange juice, and matchbox sized slice gummy.

the experiment continues~

*edit: grammar*

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Potatoes really bring on the heat for me. Except, the second day not so much. So when I ate potatoes, if I ate them like every 3 or 4 days the heat would always turn up.

OP
C

Chemi

29/11/12 - oral temp 37.2

Hands and feet getting really warm , I've begun taking 1.5g of calcium carbonate a day and the muscle soreness/stiffness from weight lifting is completely gone - particularly in my legs.

Still going heavy on potato and occasionally bits of rice in the form of sweet milk puddings - I'll try make some potato-gelatin-milk-sugar pudding, will try one with and without cacao soon.. hope it's not a disaster :D

Eating either one piece skinless chicken breast or fatty - cuts of lamb daily (usually shoulder - cheaper than shanks :?) - 100g roughly. Trying to wean myself off the huge amounts of fat I love to eat.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
You are heating up! :claporange

Dutchie

Why do you need to cut back on the lamb? I read in an article of Ray,that he advised eating the gelatinous parts of meat instead of lean musclemeat,the dark flesh of chicken etc. As far as i know the gelatinous parts are in the fat(ty cuts). The part about the chicken also kinda confused me,as he is high on avoiding pufa and the skin/darkmeat of chicken is considered high pufa from what i've read on various sites?

OP
C

Chemi

Yeah, Cutting down on fat doesn't mean I'm cutting down on lamb! I found a butcher that sells the "real" shanks and they were DIRT cheap! Once I make room in the freezer I'll shove a few bags in there.

Everything is relative, in regards to the amount of fats I'm used to eating. At one stage I was cycling ketogenic dieting so the eating massive amounts of fat in everything is something *I* need to work on but not necessarily everyone else.

Chicken breast isn't ideal, I eat it probably 3 times a week and I use skinless and add coconut oil.

Roughly speaking the serving sizes I use:

Chicken breast maybe 1g of PUFA of approx 3g fat
Lamb shoulder 0.7g PUFA of approx 17g fat

(unless someone shows me way different figures)

Since my symptoms have improved, I feel more comfortable to deviate just for convenience and comfort's sake.

No nut/seed oils, PUFA intake limited from all angles, plenty of OJ and minimally processed/adulterated dairy, good amounts of salt, sugar and coconut oil, carrot for the guts, I'm fairly pleased* with the way things are going.

One of my other controversies is the amount of starch I eat - I substitute potato with bread/rice quite often, it raises my body temperature greatly so I'll keep testing the waters and observing as I go. I'm very experimental. :?

Been wanting to start making bone broths as another thing to fortify the diet up with.

Dutchie

Re:

Chemi said:
Yeah, Cutting down on fat doesn't mean I'm cutting down on lamb! I found a butcher that sells the "real" shanks and they were DIRT cheap! Once I make room in the freezer I'll shove a few bags in there.

Everything is relative, in regards to the amount of fats I'm used to eating. At one stage I was cycling ketogenic dieting so the eating massive amounts of fat in everything is something *I* need to work on but not necessarily everyone else.

Chicken breast isn't ideal, I eat it probably 3 times a week and I use skinless and add coconut oil.

Roughly speaking the serving sizes I use:

Chicken breast maybe 1g of PUFA of approx 3g fat
Lamb shoulder 0.7g PUFA of approx 17g fat

(unless someone shows me way different figures)

Since my symptoms have improved, I feel more comfortable to deviate just for convenience and comfort's sake.

No nut/seed oils, PUFA intake limited from all angles, plenty of OJ and minimally processed/adulterated dairy, good amounts of salt, sugar and coconut oil, carrot for the guts, I'm fairly pleased* with the way things are going.

One of my other controversies is the amount of starch I eat - I substitute potato with bread/rice quite often, it raises my body temperature greatly so I'll keep testing the waters and observing as I go. I'm very experimental. :?

Been wanting to start making bone broths as another thing to fortify the diet up with.

I don't get it how PUFA can still be in chickenbreast as it is really a lean part,eaten by many on fatfree diets?

What is so controversial regarding starch/potato? Do you eat it instead of tropical fruits?
Do you make/bake your own bread(sourdough?) and what do you eat on it or eat it with?

I've made bonebroth from a partof lamb I got for free by a butcher. It turned out totally like this jelly-pudding,haven't eaten anything of it and just put it in the freezer bc honestly it doesn't look and kinda smell that appetizing. And a while ago I tried to make broth from marrowbones and I spooned out&ate a bit of the little leftover marrow......and I got up so nauseated and felt sick couple of days afterwards that I'm kinda scared to eat this broth also bc it seems to me like it is really fatty,even though I put it in the fridge and scooped out the tiny hardened layer of fat on top.

Combie

Re: Re:

Charlie said:
Chemi said:
Been experiencing a surge in libido for the last few hours that doesn't seem to subside.

Must. Make. Gummy Bears. NOW. :lol:
Yes!!! About a year ago I was eating jelly made from pork jelly and grape juice for lunch at work. I noticed I was getting wood on the bus home like a 13 year old. but I thought it was the sugar. Got a bunch of gelatin in the cupboard. Lets rock and roll libido!!

OP
C

Chemi

Dutchie said:
I don't get it how PUFA can still be in chickenbreast as it is really a lean part,eaten by many on fatfree diets?

What is so controversial regarding starch/potato? Do you eat it instead of tropical fruits?
Do you make/bake your own bread(sourdough?) and what do you eat on it or eat it with?

I've made bonebroth from a partof lamb I got for free by a butcher. It turned out totally like this jelly-pudding,haven't eaten anything of it and just put it in the freezer bc honestly it doesn't look and kinda smell that appetizing. And a while ago I tried to make broth from marrowbones and I spooned out&ate a bit of the little leftover marrow......and I got up so nauseated and felt sick couple of days afterwards that I'm kinda scared to eat this broth also bc it seems to me like it is really fatty,even though I put it in the fridge and scooped out the tiny hardened layer of fat on top.

I think all animals have a little bit of intramuscular fat, chicken breast is fairly lean but not 100% fat free. It's a good mention chicken in particular has alot of tryptophan (precursor to serotonin) compared to lamb which has a better amino acid profile. I don't usually fret over small variations like that but it's good to control variables here and there so you don't push the scales to one side more than the other.

Dutchie, did you happen to eat very little fat in the past? Fats can be nauseating when there isn't enough bile to emulsify it all is a trend I usually notice but don't take my word on it. Even though we know Saturated fats aren't a big bad guy in the peat scene, there's no need to eat giant slabs of it if your body hasn't gotten used to it yet.

Do you experience constipation or have regular bowel movements? Do all fatty meals feel that heavy? What happens when you eat a whole tablespoon of coconut oil do you feel nausea in that case? Just some little things to experiment with and observe.

I don't have the exact quote of Peat mentioning things that are hard to break down (like gluten in bread) promote inflammation and serotonin by the gut. Bread was mentioned in my diet because it's just a poor substitute I use when I'm too lazy to cook but by no means want to say its good or bad, just making logs of my habits.

Potato seems to be less frowned upon (you remember Peat mentions tubers and things that grow below the ground usually produce less defensive chemicals) and no I don't replace tropical fruits with starch, I just add potato in for more calories and variety. I find it comforting to have something fluffy and solid to eat, it also boosts my body temperature significantly so I'm quite fond of it :)

Thanks for the feedback and questions folks!

PS, Combie - glad we've confirmed there's something damn sexy about gelatin and sugar combination!!! :partydance

Combie

Chemi said:
PS, Combie - glad we've confirmed there's something damn sexy about gelatin and sugar combination!!! :partydance

Dude i think its the gelatin alone that does that, possibly some kind of anti-inflammatory effect, not sure.

As i was saying to Charlie over on my log, i have experienced this effect to the max after eating a seafood soup made with clams, shrimp, cod shoulders and a stock prepared with i would estimate about 5 chicken feet in it. That was far and away the best rock-on ive ever had, my ex partner was actually like wow, that was totally different. Felt much stronger, and even longer! No sugar consumed with that meal, i think gelatin + zinc is the thing to investigate. Two things known to be libido enhancing. Sugar certainly doesnt hurt though.

chris

Has anyone experimented with adding coconut oil or salt to the gelatin/oj/sugar gummy recipe? I think I may try add some coconut oil to give a better balance of carbs/fat/protein

Combie

chris said:
Has anyone experimented with adding coconut oil or salt to the gelatin/oj/sugar gummy recipe? I think I may try add some coconut oil to give a better balance of carbs/fat/protein
No, but salt would be a good addition. I dont think the fat would work out though

Dutchie

Chemi said:
Dutchie said:
Dutchie, did you happen to eat very little fat in the past? Fats can be nauseating when there isn't enough bile to emulsify it all is a trend I usually notice but don't take my word on it. Even though we know Saturated fats aren't a big bad guy in the peat scene, there's no need to eat giant slabs of it if your body hasn't gotten used to it yet.

Do you experience constipation or have regular bowel movements? Do all fatty meals feel that heavy? What happens when you eat a whole tablespoon of coconut oil do you feel nausea in that case? Just some little things to experiment with and observe.

I don't have the exact quote of Peat mentioning things that are hard to break down (like gluten in bread) promote inflammation and serotonin by the gut. Bread was mentioned in my diet because it's just a poor substitute I use when I'm too lazy to cook but by no means want to say its good or bad, just making logs of my habits.

At the time when I ate the marrow-broth,I hardly ate any carbs/sugars, I tolerated coconut oil,butter,animal fats especially from fatty fish fine. Also ground beef/lamb, chickenfat which I could binge on, so got scared and haven't eaten it for a while.....at least I didn't get nauseated by it. Don't know if it might(ve) caused other things days after.
However I cut out nuts long ago,bc they could lead towards binges and bloated me like hell. I also stopped eating Avocado fairly early after 'discovering Paleo' bc I found that for some odd reason I always got crying spells or huge fits of rage after eating it :s

However lately I'm thinking more&more fructose&fructan foods are causing me mainly all the constipation/slow transit time,fatty liver bc saturated fats also get converted in the liver except CO,wrong gut bacterial overgrowth,fatigue,anxiety,depression,mood disorders,maybe leaky gut and I might even not have gluten intolerance when using the right grains and such. So,I'm actually searching for a reliable good/avoid list of fructose&fructan foods of veggies,starch/grain etc. as there seem to be lots of contradictory lists floating around.
Thinking of my entire childhood back now and all my favorite foods/meals,fructose&fructans somehow have an 'addicting' effect on me wanting more&more of it and also more frequently,while leading towards trouble afterwards. :(

As for the bile/gallbladder,I have no idea if what I'm doing now is causing me to decline in bile functioning again.....

OP
C

Chemi

I hope things work out for you Dutchie.

How do you go about your meals caloric wise? If you had a mindset of trying to lose weight and deprive your body, sometimes that can predispose a person to binge episodes then the whole cascade of emotional and physical discomfort.

Perhaps it's a good idea to eat generous helpings of food, especially the easy to absorb. what I did to get myself out of the "dieting rut" was eat very generously, smaller meals more often (4-5 meals instead of 3 big ones - the amount of food is the same but just divided up)- I was drinking approx 2 litres of orange juice a day and was adding spoonfuls of sugar to everything, added more calories via coconut oil and anything I could to just force my body to understand it is now in abundance and not starving anymore.

When your metabolism is stimulated, your digestions transit time will shorten, your gut should start to heal, and there should be less time for the adverse affects of things sitting around and fermenting in your gut and causing discomfort.

No real measuring or anything like that, I've come from a history of binge and dieting cycles too but when I ate surplus calories and took a "Matt Stone" approach where he promotes what he a calls a "HED - High Everything Diet" just to overcome the initial hurdles of a sluggish, lazy, deprived body.

Coffee seems to help a lot of people with stimulating the digestive system and Naturopaths say that bitter things stimulate bile, I've never looked into it but it'd be a good bonus if true apart from the already apparent benefits of caffeine.

On that note, I used to feel "burnt out" from drinking even 1 cup of coffee. But with an abundant diet I find myself immune to the "caffeine jitters" etc. I even used to have big problems with my "casual smoking" getting more frequent but as I ate more the cravings were demolished immediately.

Hopefully it's just a matter of time in your case, best of luck and soldier on! :salute

PS, Hope everyone has a great holiday season!