CHELATING HEAVY METALS

JacobG

DMPS + EDTA at the beginning, Use a urine provocation test to determine which metals are present. NBMI later on if there is mercury in the brain.

youngsinatra

Proper metallothioneine functioning is crucial for managing heavy metals. (cadmium, arsenic, lead and copper)

You need zinc and adequate vitamin D for proper production of it.

„Heavy metal toxicity has been proposed as a hypothetical etiology of autism and dysfunction of MT synthesis and activity may play a role in this. Many heavy metals, including mercury, lead, and arsenic have been linked to symptoms that resemble the neurological symptoms of autism.“
Drum DA (October 2009). "Are toxic biometals destroying your children's future?". Biometals. 22 (5): 697–700. doi:10.1007/s10534-009-9212-9. PMID 19205900.

„A low zinc to copper ratio has been seen as a biomarker for autism and suggested as an indication that the Metallothionein system has been affected.“
Faber S, Zinn GM, Kern JC, Kingston HM (May 2009). "The plasma zinc/serum copper ratio as a biomarker in children with autism spectrum disorders". Biomarkers. 14 (3): 171–80. doi:10.1080/13547500902783747. PMID 19280374.

„Further, there is indication that the mother's zinc levels may affect the developing baby's immunological state that may lead to autism and could be again an indication that the Metallothionein system has been affected.“
Vela G, Stark P, Socha M, Sauer AK, Hagmeyer S, Grabrucker AM (2015). "Zinc in gut-brain interaction in autism and neurological disorders". Neural Plasticity. 2015: 972791. doi:10.1155/2015/972791. PMC 4386645. PMID 25878905.

OP
Rinse & rePeat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Q: You believe iron is a deadly substance. Why?

"Iron is a potentially toxic heavy metal. In excess, it can cause cancer, heart disease, and other illnesses." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"For about 50 years, it has been known that blood transfusions damage immunity, and excess iron has been suspected to be one of the causes for this. People who regularly donate blood, on the other hand, have often been found to be healthier than non-donors, and healthier than they were before they began donating." -Ray Peat

L_C

Q: You believe iron is a deadly substance. Why?

"Iron is a potentially toxic heavy metal. In excess, it can cause cancer, heart disease, and other illnesses." -Ray Peat
Would charcoal help to remove heavy metals\iron?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Would charcoal help to remove heavy metals\iron?

"A 2014 study tested whether activated carbon could remove heavy metals from drinking water.

The researchers found that activated carbon removed, for example, 90% of nickel from drinking water. However, it was less effective than a combined water treatment of activated carbon and silica."

"Certain substances do not bindTrusted Source to activated charcoal. As a result, charcoal will not help combat the toxic effects of these substances, which include:

some metals, such as salts of iron and lithium."

L_C

"A 2014 study tested whether activated carbon could remove heavy metals from drinking water.

The researchers found that activated carbon removed, for example, 90% of nickel from drinking water. However, it was less effective than a combined water treatment of activated carbon and silica."

"Certain substances do not bindTrusted Source to activated charcoal. As a result, charcoal will not help combat the toxic effects of these substances, which include:

some metals, such as salts of iron and lithium."

I see. Thank you very much for investigating.

David PS

I used EDTA. Very slowly, I used small amount just 2 or 3 times a week so that I did not not strip important minerals from my body. See image in the first link for the order that heavy metals are attracted to EDTA. The second link is the full text of the paper.

In vitro affinity of EDTA for metal ions. The curve represents the...

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"In one of Hans Selye's pioneering studies, he found that he could experimentally produce a form of scleroderma (hardening of the skin) in animals by administering large doses of iron, followed by a minor stress. He could prevent the development of the condition by giving the animals large doses of vitamin E, suggesting that the condition was produced by iron's oxidative actions." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Excess iron's role in infectious diseases is now well established, and many recent studies show that it is involved in degenerative brain diseases, such as Parkinson's, ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease), Huntington's chorea, and Alzheimer's disease. Iron is now believed to have a role in skin aging, atherosclerosis, and cataracts of the lenses of the eyes, largely through its formation of the "age pigment." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Q: Can cooking in an iron frying pan put iron into food?

Yes, especially if the food is acidic, as many sauces are. The added iron will destroy vitamins in the food, besides being potentially toxic in itself.

Q: What about aluminum?

Aluminum and iron react similarly in cells and are suspected causes of Alzheimer's disease." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"SUMMARY:

Iron is a potentially toxic heavy metal; an excess can cause cancer, heart disease, and other illnesses.

Iron causes cell aging.

Drinking coffee with iron rich foods can reduce iron's toxic effects.

Use shrimp and oysters, etc., to prevent the copper deficiency which leads to excess storage of iron.

Avoid food supplements which contain iron.

Take about 100 units of vitamin E daily; your vitamin E requirement increases with your iron consumption." -Ray Peat

mostlylurking

"In the 1960s the World Health Organization found that when iron supplements were given to anemic people in Africa, there was a great increase in the death rate from infectious diseases, especially malaria. Around the same time, research began to show that the regulation of iron is a central function of the immune system, and that this seems to have evolved because iron is a basic requirement for the survival and growth of cells of all types, including bacteria, parasites, and cancer. The pioneer researcher in the role of iron in immunity believed that an excess of dietary iron contributed to the development of leukemia and lymphatic cancers. Just like lead, mercury, cadmium, nickel and other heavy metals, stored iron produces destructive free radicals. The harmful effects of iron-produced free radicals are practically indistinguishable from those caused by exposure to X-rays and gamma rays; both accelerate the accumulation of age-pigment and other signs of aging. Excess iron is a crucial element in the transformation of stress into tissue damage by free radicals." -Ray Peat

About seven or so years ago, I was on vacation and woke up with my arms or legs, or both, dead asleep every night. It would be like a fake plastic arm asleep and it was very alarming and painful afterwards. I wondered why it only happened on vacation and starting making notes about my foods and several vacations later, it came down to rum or seafood. At home I would eat a lot of canned tuna, but on vacation I would dive into an array of seafood dishes that I couldn't get back home. An internet search indicated possible mercury poisoning. Other symptoms I had only on vacation was extreme bleeding gums. One time, brushing my teeth, the sink looked like someone punched me in the mouth. The most alarming was one time, waiting in line at the valet, my legs gave out on me. I was on the ground paralyzed from the waist down!

Once I suspected mercury poisoning, it was confirmed when asking my son, who also ate just as much canned tuna as me, if his limbs went dead at night and he said yes, weekly. Now that I had figured out that mercury had built up in me, I gave up tuna, and set about learning to chelate them, trying the usual suggested protocol, with vitamin C
and cilantro, but it only made things worse, circulating them and assuring another dead arm that night. I really had no recourse, except to keep any further metals from accumulating, and further reading on the subject I realized there were surely other metals that had built up too like aluminum and iron. So the first thing I did was get rid of my pots and pans, including my cast iron skillets, and set out, with my magnet in hand, to make my "investment" in safe cookware, once piece at a time.

"There are two main types of stainless steel, magnetic and nonmagnetic. The nonmagnetic form has a very high nickel content, and nickel is allergenic and carcinogenic. It is much more toxic than iron or aluminum. You can use a little "refrigerator magnet" to test your pans. The magnet will stick firmly to the safer type of pan." -Ray Peat

Be sure when buying magnetic stainless steel cookware that the sides are magnetic as well. Makers will usually put the safe metal just on the bottom just to say it's magnetic. Finding pieces with the sides magnetic too is like finding treasue. Once you do find a safe piece, with magnetic sides and bottom, don't be fooled into buying the whole set, because there can be only bottom magnetic pieces withing a set.

As time went on I realized vitamin C in fruit, especially citrus and even supplimetal C would give me that numb arm at night, so I avoided vitamin C, or at least strategized having them in the morning, hoping it would clear out by the evening. I noticed other patterns like taking any herbs, aspirin or NSAIDs at bedtime or in the middle of the night would have my arm dead within the hour, so I stopped all of that. Then I came across this Ray Peat quote, and that is when things turned around......

"Milk, orange juice, and coffee safely accelerate the removal of heavy metals from the tissues. Everyone's body accumulates PUFA's, which progressively interfere with metabolism and raise TSH. Iron, as well as other heavy metals (except for copper) tends to accumulate. Drinking coffee also helps to shift the hormone balance in the right direction." -Ray Peat

After reading that quote I had realized that upping my milk sometime earlier in the year had made a noticable difference in the frequency of my numb arm showing up nights. I started testing the idea more by having the offending foods and other substances chased down with a glass of milk, and to my relief, it worked, with no dead arm! The milk worked time and time again! I don't know how much heavy metals are still inside of me, but I steer away from any tuna, make sure I don't cook acid things in metal pans and I steer away from suppliments, fortified cereals and grains, NSAID's, deodorant and drink lots of milk now! I am so grateful for that numb arm. It warned me of the perils that were waiting ahead for me, with a horrific list to choose from (linked below), just from mercury! Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease is linked to aluminum, and the list goes on and on.

"Other heavy metals, including lead and aluminum, are toxic; pans and dishes should be chosen carefully." -Ray Peat

I've been reading up on the connection between heavy metals and thiamine. Here's what I've found so far:
Thiamine (2–4 mg/kg per day, SC) alleviates clinical manifestations and reduces tissue deposition of lead. Combined Ca-EDTA and thiamine treatment appears to produce the most beneficial response. Lead Poisoning in Animals - Toxicology - Merck Veterinary Manual

Lead induced thiamine deficiency in the brain decreased the threshold of electroshock seizure in rat
quote:
Thiamine supplementation reversed these signs and decreased the brain lead concentration in the lead treated group. The results from the present study suggest that the increased seizure susceptibility induced by lead intoxication in rats may be mediated at least in part through the changes of thiamine status.

Thiamine and zinc in prevention or therapy of lead intoxication: Thiamine and zinc in prevention or therapy of lead intoxication - PubMed
quote:
Thiamine, zinc or their combination given through gastric gavage were investigated for their ability to prevent or treat experimental lead toxicity in rats. Simultaneous dietary supplementation with thiamine plus zinc was found to be the most effective way of reducing the lead-induced inhibition of delta-aminolevulinic acid dehydratase activity in blood, urinary, excretion of delta-aminolevulinic acid and accumulation of lead in blood, liver and kidney. Prevention was more effective than post-lead exposure treatment which may be due mainly to the decrease in the absorption of lead in the gastro-intestinal tract in the presence of thiamine and/or zinc.

Eating to Block Lead Absorption | NutritionFacts.org
quote:
Intake of certain nutrients has been associated with lower lead levels in the body. For example, women with higher intake of thiamine, also called vitamin B1, tended to have lower blood lead levels, and the same was found for lead-exposed steel workers—and not just with thiamine, as “content of dietary fiber, iron, or thiamine intake each correlated inversely with blood lead concentrations in workers…” The thinking is that the fiber might glom onto the lead and flush it out of the body, the iron would inhibit the lead absorption, and the thiamine may accelerate lead removal through the bile. So, researchers suggest that eating lots of iron, fiber and especially thiamine-rich foods “may induce rapid removal and excretion of the lead from the tissues.” But thiamine’s never been put to the test by giving it to people to see if their lead levels drop. The closest I could find is a thiamine intervention for lead-intoxicated goats.

Thiamin (vitamin B1) effects on lead intoxication and deposition of lead in tissues: Therapeutic potential
Thiamin (vitamin B1) effects on lead intoxication and deposition of lead in tissues: Therapeutic potential:
quote:
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effects of thiamin on lead (Pb) poisoning in cattle. Fifteen Holstein male calves were divided into three groups: Group I served as controls, Group II calves were dosed orally with 5 mg Pb acetate/day/kg of body wt, and Group III calves were dosed similarly with Pb and with 100 mg/day/calf of thiamin hydrochloride, subcutaneously. Calves were treated daily for 20 days. None of the control or Pb plus thiamin-treated calves showed clinical signs of poisoning and no deaths occurred. However, four of five Pb-treated calves showed signs of Pb poisoning and two died during the study. Tissues from both groups receiving Pb contained significantly higher (p < 0.01) concentrations of Pb than tissues from control calves. However, tissues from calves receiving Pb plus thiamin contained 2 to 10 times less Pb than tissues from calves receiving only Pb. The Pb concentrations in liver, kidney, and blood from thiamin-treated calves remained below confirmatory levels associated with Pb poisoning; while Pb concentrations in the same tissues from calves dosed only with Pb were within the range considered diagnostic of Pb poisoning. On the other hand, δ-aminolevulinic acid dehydratase activity in erythrocytes was decreased 70% from pretreatment levels in both groups receiving Pb. Thus, thiamin appeared to have no protective effect on the ability of Pb to inhibit this enzyme. But in the tissues analyzed, thiamin interacted with Pb in some way to prevent tissue accumulation, thus preventing clinical signs and death. These results suggest that therapeutic doses of thiamin may be of value in the prevention and treatment of Pb poisoning in cattle, and in other animals or humans exposed to high environmental levels of Pb.

Thiamine reduces tissue lead levels in rats: mechanism of interaction - BioMetals
quote:
Lead (Pb) toxicity has been a serious concern in industrialized societies because of its association with functional deficits in nervous, haematopoietic and renal systems. Several studies have shown beneficial effects of thiamine on Pb toxicity. It is speculated that Pb chelation by thiamine may be a possible mechanism. However, the exact nature of these interactions remained elusive. In the present study we have characterized the interaction of Pb with thiamine using UV–Vis as well as fluorescence spectroscopic methods and studied the effect of thiamine treatment on blood and tissue Pb levels during simultaneous or post-exposure to Pb in rat model. The spectroscopic studies revealed that Pb interacts with the pyrimidine ring of thiamine, leading to its solubilization at physiological pH. Further, thiamine reduced the Pb levels in blood, kidney and bone during both simultaneous and post-exposure Pb treatment. Interestingly, thiamine appears to prevent the accumulation of Pb in bone during simultaneous treatment. Together these results suggest that pyrimidine ring of thiamine mediates its interaction with Pb, leading to the prevention of its accumulation and/or increased clearance from tissues.

Chelation in metal intoxication XVIII: Combined effects of thiamine and calcium disodium versenate on dead toxicity
Chelation in metal intoxication XVIII: Combined effects of thiamine and calcium disodium versenate on dead toxicity
quote:
Calcium disodium ethylenediaminetetracetate (CaNa2EDTA; Versenate) was more effective than thiamine (vitamin B1) in enhancing the urinary excretion of lead, reducing tissue lead and restoring lead induced biochemical alterations in rats. However, the combination of CaNa2EDTA and vitamin B1 enhanced the beneficial effect of CaNa2EDTA in lead intoxication and was particularly effective in reducing the brain concentration of lead.

edit: I found some more:
more: thiamine and heavy metals, including iron overload:

Error - Cookies Turned Off

quote: We hypothesize that excess iron, that is, brain iron overload (BIO), is a highly relevant pathway leading to cognitive deterioration in individuals with AUD. We further hypothesize thiamine depletion, a common concomitant feature in AUD patients, to be a key stimulus for BIO, as thiamine deficiency disrupts the integrity of the blood-brain barrier (BBB), enabling iron from the circulation to enter the brain in an uncontrolled manner.

Vitamin B1 Deficiency a Key Factor in the Development of Alcohol-Related Dementia - Neuroscience News

quote: A common consequence of chronically high alcohol consumption is a decline in cognitive function, which can even progress to full-blown dementia. However, we do not yet fully understand how alcohol damages the brain. A research group led by Stephan Listabarth from MedUni Vienna’s Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Division of Social Psychiatry, has now developed a hypothesis whereby iron deposits in the brain – resulting from alcohol-induced vitamin B1 deficiency – can be regarded as key factors in cognitive decline. The work has now been published in the leading journal “Alzheimer’s and Dementia”.

Chelation Therapy in Medicine - Hormones Matter

quote: Because of a sick cow, a farmer had called a veterinarian who had recognized the symptoms of thiamine (vitamin B1) deficiency. When given an injection of the vitamin the symptoms in the cow had disappeared but they had subsequently returned and the veterinarian was asked to come again. Thinking this was a strange recurrence, the doctor had the presence of mind to search the field where the cow had been grazing. He had found an old trunk in a corner of the field that was partly covered with lead paint and which the cow had been licking. Lead has a sweet taste and the veterinarian concluded that this was the cause of the thiamine deficiency. In a study using rats, calcium disodium EDTA was more effective than thiamine in enhancing the urinary excretion of lead in restoring lead induced biochemical alterations. However, the combination of the drug and thiamine enhanced the beneficial effect and was particularly effective in reducing the brain concentration of lead.

In lead loaded sheep the combination of EDTA and thiamine administration was better than EDTA or thiamine given singly. It was concluded however that thiamine, even by itself, does increase lead excretion via bile and urine, a beneficial effect that has not been followed up since. The influence of dietary protein deficiency on the effects of exposure to lead or its combination with copper was investigated in rats.

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
"The aluminum industry started propagandizing more than 50 years ago about the "safety" of aluminum utensils, claiming that practically none of the toxic metal gets into the food. Recent research showed that coffee percolated in an aluminum pot contained a large amount of dissolved aluminum, because of coffee's acidity." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
ecstatichamster posted this in another thread....

"Animal studies showed that chelation can increase metal toxicity to the brain and kidneys. Vitamin C and other acids in orange juice reduce the toxicity of mercury and allow it to be excreted safely. At least for some metals, coffee seems to have a similar effect."
--Dr. Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Leafy vegetables are a very rich source of magnesium, but they are also a potential source of large amounts of lead and other toxins. In 1960, many people, including the U.S.government, were advocating the use of a largely vegetarian diet for children, because of the amount of radioactive strontium in milk. I compared the amount of strontium in a diet of vegetables that would provide the necessary quantity of calcium and protein, and it was clear that vegetables were the worst source of radioactive strontium, because their ratio of strontium to calcium was much higher than the ratio in milk. The cows were concentrating calcium and protein from the contaminated plant foods, eliminating much of the strontium. This principle still applies to the toxins that are currently found in the U.S. food supply." -Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals