Chelating BPA

haidut

Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
17,611
Location
USA / Europe
Actually, this should apply to all estrogenic chemicals similar to BPA contained in plastics. Just b/c the plastic container says "BPA-free" does not mean it is not harmful. Often they have BPS (a close relative of BPA), which is even more toxic and less studied than BPA. It looks like activated charcoal may be able to chelate BPA from the plasma:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16173588

As far as pulling it from the tissues - that's probably going to depend on liver health since BPA is fat soluble and the liver needs to make it water-soluble first and to get in the bloodstream (I think but but not sure). But it's a good start.
Also, for women thinking of getting pregnant or already pregnant, it looks like folic acid may be able to provide some protection to the fetus from the effects of BPA:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17670942

I already mentioned in other threads taking tocopherol (vitamin E) since it has been shown to bind to the estrogen "receptors" as antagonist and thus compete with BPA for entry into the cell and negating some/all of its estrogenic effects. Finally, it is important to take thyroid which competes with BPA for binding to the thyroid "receptors" also negates its anti-thyroid effects.
 

Blossom

Moderator
Joined
Nov 23, 2013
Messages
8,606
That is so interesting! I love how I feel when I take activated charcoal. I would probably take it everyday if I could. Can you? I always thought it was just helpful with endotoxin and have limited it to once per week.
 

Peata

Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2013
Messages
3,402
Blossom said:
That is so interesting! I love how I feel when I take activated charcoal. I would probably take it everyday if I could. Can you? I always thought it was just helpful with endotoxin and have limited it to once per week.

I've taken it twice now in one week. How much are you taking at a time?
 

Blossom

Moderator
Joined
Nov 23, 2013
Messages
8,606
1/4-1/2 tsp. before bed. Before starting a Peat inspired lifestyle I took it more often and in capsule form of 10-20 capsules throughout the day. My endotoxin issues were much worse then.
 

Blossom

Moderator
Joined
Nov 23, 2013
Messages
8,606
Thanks! I do cascara and raw carrots. I've noticed some of the charcoals do seem to work better than others.
 

4peatssake

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
2,055
Age
60
RP has also said this about activated charcoal. Personally it has worked wonders for me and I use it.

Ray Peat said:
“The gerontologist, V.V. Frolkis, recently found that mice lived 43% longer than animals on the standard diet when they periodically had activated charcoal added to their food. This is the clearest evidence I have seen that “bowel toxins” make a major contribution to the aging process.”
Ray Peat on Endotoxin at functionalalps

Ray Peat said:
“Aging, stress, and heavy consumption of alcohol increase the permeability of the intestine, causing increased absorption of microbial toxins. Laxatives, carrot fiber (not carrotjuice), activated charcoal, and a small amount of sodium thiosulfate decrease the formation and absorption of toxins, increasing the organism’s adaptive capacity.”
Ray Peat on the Benefits of Raw Carrot at functionalalps

Ray Peat said:
I have previously discussed the use of antibiotics (and/or carrot fiber and/or charcoal) to relieve the premenstrual syndrome, and have mentioned the study in which the lifespan was extended by occasionally adding charcoal to the diet. A few years ago, I heard about a Mexican farmer who collected his neighbors' runt pigs, and got them to grow normally by adding charcoal to their diet. This probably achieves the same thing as adding antibiotics to their food, which is practiced by pig farmers in the US to promote growth and efficient use of food. Charcoal, besides binding and removing toxins, is also a powerful catalyst for the oxidative destruction of many toxic chemicals. In a sense, it anticipates the action of the protective enzymes of the intestinal wall and the liver.
Food-junk and some mystery ailments: Fatigue, Alzheimer's, Colitis, Immunodeficiency
 
Joined
Nov 26, 2013
Messages
7,367
The pores with
diameters around 0.6 nm are optimal for phenol adsorption
and after the introduction of surface oxygen functionalities,
adsorption of phenol decreases (in accordance with experimental
data) for all studied models. This decrease is caused by a pore
blocking effect due to the saturation of surface oxygen groups by
highly hydrogen-bounded water molecules.
http://158.75.16.31/web_page/pdf/2010_01.pdf
 

haidut

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
17,611
Location
USA / Europe
paymanz said:
post 115231
haidut said:
post 34796 sodium thiosulfate
how charcoal can absorb BPA from blood?we dont absorb charcoal into our blood stream right?

It adsorbs, not absorbs. Basically, when the charcoal reaches your small intestine it extracts toxins (and some substances like serotonin and estrogen) from the blood through electrical attraction. The small intestine is very well supplied with blood and whatever blood passes through the intestine while there is charcoal in it, toxins will leave the blood and attach to the charcoal particles. Then it all gets excreted with the stool. Also, some toxins linger in the colon and when charcoal passes through the colon it will adsorb those toxins as well.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
11,825
Location
USA
haidut said:
post 115246 It adsorbs, not absorbs. Basically, when the charcoal reaches your small intestine it extracts toxins (and some substances like serotonin and estrogen) from the blood through electrical attraction. The small intestine is very well supplied with blood and whatever blood passes through the intestine while there is charcoal in it, toxins will leave the blood and attach to the charcoal particles. Then it all gets excreted with the stool. Also, some toxins linger in the colon and when charcoal passes through the colon it will adsorb those toxins as well.
TIL. :hattip
 
Last edited:

jyb

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
2,775
Location
UK
haidut said:
post 115246
paymanz said:
post 115231
haidut said:
post 34796 sodium thiosulfate
how charcoal can absorb BPA from blood?we dont absorb charcoal into our blood stream right?

It adsorbs, not absorbs. Basically, when the charcoal reaches your small intestine it extracts toxins (and some substances like serotonin and estrogen) from the blood through electrical attraction. The small intestine is very well supplied with blood and whatever blood passes through the intestine while there is charcoal in it, toxins will leave the blood and attach to the charcoal particles. Then it all gets excreted with the stool. Also, some toxins linger in the colon and when charcoal passes through the colon it will adsorb those toxins as well.


The abstract only talks about water not blood or intestine conditions. Up to now I imagined AC worked by binding toxins floating around in the intestines (not in the blood) along with food and excretions, so it just reduces the amount of toxins that could enter should there be a failure of the intestine to prevent them from entering. I guess that's the main use of AC at the emergency room, soak everything up. Your explanation is interesting but also surprising (absorbs blood toxins while not entering the blood? in any significant amount?).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Joined
Nov 26, 2013
Messages
7,367
Liver excretes toxins in the bile, and bile is normally reabsorbed further down the line.
 

paymanz

Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2015
Messages
2,690
jyb said:
post 115284
haidut said:
post 115246
paymanz said:
post 115231
haidut said:
post 34796 sodium thiosulfate
how charcoal can absorb BPA from blood?we dont absorb charcoal into our blood stream right?

It adsorbs, not absorbs. Basically, when the charcoal reaches your small intestine it extracts toxins (and some substances like serotonin and estrogen) from the blood through electrical attraction. The small intestine is very well supplied with blood and whatever blood passes through the intestine while there is charcoal in it, toxins will leave the blood and attach to the charcoal particles. Then it all gets excreted with the stool. Also, some toxins linger in the colon and when charcoal passes through the colon it will adsorb those toxins as well.


The abstract only talks about water not blood or intestine conditions. Up to now I imagined AC worked by binding toxins floating around in the intestines (not in the blood) along with food and excretions, so it just reduces the amount of toxins that could enter should there be a failure of the intestine to prevent them from entering. I guess that's the main use of AC at the emergency room, soak everything up. Your explanation is interesting but also surprising (absorbs blood toxins while not entering the blood? in any significant amount?).

interesting explanation.
one of my concerns about AC is that if it can enter blood stream.its a fine powder.that should be harmful.do you think is has any chance to get through intestinal wall and inter blood?
i have another concern that if it can absorb or "adsorb" toxin it can also do it with vitamins and hormones probably.and also bile salt which are very valuable compounds.
but they are just some thoughts.whenever i take AV i feel overll good.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

jyb

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
2,775
Location
UK
paymanz said:
interesting explanation.
one of my concerns about AC is that if it can enter blood stream.its a fine powder.that should be harmful.do you think is has any chance to get through intestinal wall and inter blood?
i have another concern that if it can absorb or "adsorb" toxin it can also do it with vitamins and hormones probably.and also bile salt which are very valuable compounds.
but they are just some thoughts.whenever i take AV i feel overll good.

Yes, there's a study on this forum about AC particles having gone through. That might be the reason behind Peat's recommendation to focus on carrots rather than every day AC. Otherwise yes, it will destroy vitamins at least in the food you're eating.
 

paymanz

Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2015
Messages
2,690
jyb said:
post 115421
paymanz said:
interesting explanation.
one of my concerns about AC is that if it can enter blood stream.its a fine powder.that should be harmful.do you think is has any chance to get through intestinal wall and inter blood?
i have another concern that if it can absorb or "adsorb" toxin it can also do it with vitamins and hormones probably.and also bile salt which are very valuable compounds.
but they are just some thoughts.whenever i take AV i feel overll good.

Yes, there's a study on this forum about AC particles having gone through. That might be the reason behind Peat's recommendation to focus on carrots rather than every day AC. Otherwise yes, it will destroy vitamins at least in the food you're eating.

what about normal charcoal? the ones animals use in nature!? i guess they are safer for occasional use.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

jyb

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
2,775
Location
UK
paymanz said:
post 115427
jyb said:
post 115421
paymanz said:
interesting explanation.
one of my concerns about AC is that if it can enter blood stream.its a fine powder.that should be harmful.do you think is has any chance to get through intestinal wall and inter blood?
i have another concern that if it can absorb or "adsorb" toxin it can also do it with vitamins and hormones probably.and also bile salt which are very valuable compounds.
but they are just some thoughts.whenever i take AV i feel overll good.

Yes, there's a study on this forum about AC particles having gone through. That might be the reason behind Peat's recommendation to focus on carrots rather than every day AC. Otherwise yes, it will destroy vitamins at least in the food you're eating.

what about normal charcoal? the ones animals use in nature!? i guess they are safer for occasional use.

But how do you know it is effective? What is used in studies and to absorb toxin in hospitals is always AC I think
 
Last edited by a moderator:

paymanz

Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2015
Messages
2,690
jyb said:
post 115428
paymanz said:
post 115427
jyb said:
post 115421
paymanz said:
interesting explanation.
one of my concerns about AC is that if it can enter blood stream.its a fine powder.that should be harmful.do you think is has any chance to get through intestinal wall and inter blood?
i have another concern that if it can absorb or "adsorb" toxin it can also do it with vitamins and hormones probably.and also bile salt which are very valuable compounds.
but they are just some thoughts.whenever i take AV i feel overll good.

Yes, there's a study on this forum about AC particles having gone through. That might be the reason behind Peat's recommendation to focus on carrots rather than every day AC. Otherwise yes, it will destroy vitamins at least in the food you're eating.

what about normal charcoal? the ones animals use in nature!? i guess they are safer for occasional use.

But how do you know it is effective? What is used in studies and to absorb toxin in hospitals is always AC I think

i know it absorbs chemicals,not as good as AC for sure.folks used to use it to deodorize refrigerators for example.some animals also eat charcoal,i guess for its toxin binding properties.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Joined
Nov 21, 2015
Messages
8,517
I think rp is concerned about persorption of activated charcoal. It will enter the blood, capillaries, kidneys, brain. Through persorption. Which is why he recommended carrot instead. Not sure this would really harm a whole lot but it doesn't sound healthy to have carbon particles loose in your brain and bloodstream.
 
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
EssntlFttyBstrd Chelating Selenium And Chromium? Se & Cr Cause Diabetes And Suppress Copper Metabolism Ask For Help or Advice 4
T Could Succinic Acid Be Dangerous Chelating Copper? Ask For Help or Advice 0
Gabriel Adding Milk To Coffee Doesn't Impair Zn-chelating Capacity Coffee 10
haidut Endocrine Disruptors (BPA) Can Cause Autism Several Generations Later Scientific Studies 3
H #05: Bioenergetic News And Q&A - Global Warming, Serotonin, Dopamine, Nitric Oxide, Depression, BPA Miscellaneous Health Discussions 16
haidut High Metabolism Quickly Destroys / Chelates Endocrine Disruptors Like BPA Scientific Studies 34
T BPA Alternative, Bisphenol S Just As Dangerous – Tiny Concentrations Of BPS Impair Brain Development Articles & Scientific Studies 1
E BPA From Polycarbonate Bottles Mimics Neurotoxic Actions Of Estrogen Scientific Studies 1
haidut Bpa-free Plastic Just As Dangerous As One With Bpa Scientific Studies 14
haidut Plasticisers (bpa, Dehp) Boost Pufa, Estrogen, Cortisol & Block Glucose Oxidation Scientific Studies 34
frant26 Swallow BPA Or Destroy My Teeth? Oral Health 15
haidut Estrogen (and Bpa) Cause Infertility For Several Generations Toxins, Detoxification 8
S Universal Fetal Exposure to BPA in Californian Population Articles & Scientific Studies 0
J Pregnant Women Who Consume BPA Might Have Hypothyroid Boys Health 14
B How high are BPA, MSG and acrylamides on RP toxicity list? Additives 5
charlie KMUD: BPA, Estrogen, Testosterone, Cancer, Tumors KMUD Radio-The Herb Doctors 7

Similar threads

Top