Cheese Suggestions

Neuroleptic

I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions for good low-fat cheese. I prefer low fat because I am trying to lose weight and feel best when I have 300g+ of carbs a day. I live near a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's, but other than that my access to high quality stuff is pretty limited. Thanks for any help!.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Well dang, if you are near those two stores you should have it made with cheese selection! :partydance

The only thing is, I don't know any that are lowfat. When looking for cheeses, Ray Peat said that the enzymes they are using these days are causing issues. So try to find something without enzymes.

Here is a list of cheeses I have heard recommended around the Ray Peat circles.

-Parmigiano Reggiano

-Pecorino Romano - I have ate this, and its good. It has "Sheeps milk, rennet, and salt." No enzymes. A perfect line up of ingredients, and really good on price especially if you can get it from Costco.

Hopefully some other people will chime in with some more information.

cliff

Honestly I haven't found one hard cheese I don't react too from trader joes or WH. The only one I haven't tried yet is parm regiano due to the price, that is supposed to be the safest one though. I haven't ever seen a low fat cheese without enzymes or cultures.

The ricotta cheese without gums seems to be safe from the couple times I've tried it.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Rem

it's my favorite protein source.
i use skim milk, heat it (must be too hot for the finger, but not boiling), then slowly pour white vinegar (cheaper and safer) while stirring, and stop as soon as the curdling starts (for one reason, too much vinegar will make the milk curdle too finely).
eventually i filter through a metallic strainer and press with a spoon to get the dryness i want.
max 5 minutes to get a portion of non-fat high quality protein
enjoy with some coconut oil and salt
you can use the half of a cantaloupe as a plate :)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Rem, thank you! Gonna give it a shot. :thankyou

Rem

Ray said me that curdling with bacteria or rennet improves the calcium content. I will give the rennet a try.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ok, so I got some raw milk this weekend, skimmed off the cream, and made some cheese. Success! It turned out great, and I have eaten quite a bit of it already. No problems with mucus whatsoever! No intestinal stress that I can tell. This definitely looks like a winner so far! For breakfast this morning I had cheese and fruit, winning! :woo

I would definitely suggest to try this to anyone having problems with dairy.

bradley

I've been having a heck of a time trying to find a cheese that works for me consistently. What would you all suggest as the easiest on digestion?

I cannot drink milk (cow, sheep, goat) without bloating, gas, and mucus, and some cheeses do this to me as well.

Are fresh cheeses like Feta, Ricotta, Cottage, etc.. easier on digestion? Or are the hard cheeses better do to less lactose?

Raw sheep feta seems to be ok so far.

Thanks!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I suggest the home made ricotta cheese that I just made. It was suggested to me because of all the problems I have with cheeses and milk. I have had zero problems since using this cheese. It's really easy to make. If you scan back through this thread you will see how to make it. It seems like generally anyone who tries this cheese does OK.

bradley

Thanks Charlie. Since I'm on the move a lot it's not likely i'll be able to make this in the near future.
Any cheeses you found you reacted to the least?
is store-bought ricotta ok if the ingredients are clean?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
None, I had a reaction to all of them except ricotta so far. I tried to get store bought but all of them had bad fillers in them like carrageenan. The only one I could find that looked pretty good was from Organic Valley but they dont carry it in my small town.

http://www.organicvalley.coop/products/cheese/ricotta/

bradley

Did you follow the recipe that Rem posted or the one from Ann?
Did you make a low fat version like Rem?
Vinegar or lemon juice?
You are inspiring me to try it :):

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I actually let my friend walk me through it on the phone because she makes that stuff every couple days. Its really simple. Once you make it one time its a breeze, so don't sweat it.

I purchased raw milk and sucked the cream off the top with a turkey baster.

Put the milk in pot. Turn on the heat but dont turn it up super high so the milk doesnt burn. I think the slower you can bring it to a boil the better. Right before it starts to boil, take your vinegar and pour it in. Pour in like a tablespoon and start stirring the milk. Wait to see if it starts to curdle, if it doesnt, pour in some more, its not exact science so dont sweat it. When it starts to separate you can stop pouring the vinegar in. Let the milk get to a very light boil. Once you see the water starts to get pretty clear(not totally clear but it looks a lot clearer then usual milk) around the cheese, then turn it off and let it cool. I didnt let it get to a heavy boil, only a slight boil. Then, I use a double layer cheese cloth and then strain the cheese out. Once all your cheese is in the cloth, I make the cheese and cloth into a big ball and squeeze all the whey out as much as possible. Chill, add salt, coconut oil if you want, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions.

bradley

Awesome thank you so much for the details.

BTW, why add coconut oil to it? Doesn't it already have some milk fat?

Thanks again

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Rem suggested the coconut oil on the first page. I only add salt, oh, for a desert treat some jam I made last year. :dancenanner

narouz

Tillamook White Cheddar

What with all the fear off cheese made with anything other than Animal Rennet
I've been liking this very inexpensive cheese at Whole Paycheck:

It's called "Tillamook White Cheddar."

Not perfect,
but tastes pretty good and palatable in rather large quantity.

$2.99 per pound!!

NCanuck

Never eat cheese that is produced to -be- low fat. If its one that happens to be lower in fat naturally do to the process, thats one thing, but to intentionally produce a low fat cheese, well, Iets just say that they are revolting (although not quite as bad as that rice or soy "cheese")

Look for cheeses that are AOC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appellatio ... B4l%C3%A9e) protected. These will be made traditionally and will use rennet, as microbial enzymes are a new thing.

Some personal favourites are:

- Gruyere (obviously ACTUAL Swiss Gruyere) Its made with unpasteurized milk, salt, bacterial culture and rennet.

- Parmiaggiano Reggiano (not Parmesan, which is a Canadian and American version). The true parmiaggiano is unpasteurized milk, salt, bacterial culture and rennet. I think it is a bit lower in fat and higher in protein than the gruyere.

- Roquefort (don't knock the original blue!) it is made from ewe's milk and the true one is unpasteurized milk. It's deee-licious.

Let me know if you'd like any more information. I am a long-time cheese fanatic, taking numerous courses on the subject, and I used to manage a cheese and deli shop for 3 + years. :):