Cheese Lowest In Lactic Acid

Guacamayo

Seeing as lactic acid is something that negatively affects the metabolism and acetic acid is something that boosts it, does anyone happen to know of which cheeses have the lowest lactic acid content and the highest acetic acid?

I've read that aged cheeses tend to be higher in lactic acid since the lactose gets transformed into lactic acid as they age, however I haven't found a definitive list of lactic acid content, only lactose content.

boris

I don't know about your second paragraph, but you can taste the lactic acid content. If it is too much it will taste acidic.

Maljam

I think getting a list of this would be within the realms of orthorexia. Try eating cheeses you enjoy the taste of and don't cause you any negative reactions.

I agree with Maljam. It's not healthy to be concerned with the minute lactic acid content of cheese. Boris is right though. You should be able to go based on taste. The only dairy products that have high levels of lactic acid are nonstrained yogurts and the like. Again, you can taste the high levels of lactic acid. If it tastes sweet or neutral without added sugar then it's absolutely fine. Even lactic-set cheeses like most goat cheeses are fine. Don't worry about it.

OP
G

Guacamayo

Well I know that the acidic taste in Feta cheeses is sometimes due to the acetic acid (which is beneficial to the metabolism) and other times due to excess lactic acid.

So when minute amounts of non-animal rennet can cause significant health issues, I'd be willing to bet that the varying lactic acid levels in the different cheeses would also have an effect.

boris

I’m not sure but I think even aged cheeses with considered high lactic acid content like sharp cheddar don’t have relevant amounts. As far as I understand it most of the lactose that gets converted ends up in the whey, which gets drained. Lactose and Lactic Acid in Cheese- Cheese Science Toolkit

Harmful amounts of lactic acid are more of a problem with fresh cheeses, quarks, yoghurts that aren‘t drained properly. A big serving can deplete glycogen stores. In Peat‘s opinion a few spoons of acidic yoghurt for taste are okay.

I ate a serving of acidic fresh cheese recently late in the day, because I bought it by mistake and didn‘t have anything else. I made a sweet cheesecake out of it to see if the sugar would offset the lactic acid (and because I didn‘t fully believe the lactic acid would have a noticable effect on me). It was pretty bad. I felt it deplete my liver glycogen pretty quickly. I got extremely tired and freezing within minutes.

I would say if big amounts of the cheese don‘t make you feel bad, you‘re good.

Last edited:
What is the verdict on low fat Quark? How does it compare to yoghurt and the like in terms of lactic acid?

I’m not sure but I think even aged cheeses with considered high lactic acid content like sharp cheddar don’t have relevant amounts. As far as I understand it most of the lactose that gets converted ends up in the whey, which gets drained. Lactose and Lactic Acid in Cheese- Cheese Science Toolkit

Harmful amounts of lactic acid are more of a problem with fresh cheeses, quarks, yoghurts that aren‘t drained properly. A big serving can deplete glycogen stores. In Peat‘s opinion a few spoons of acidic yoghurt for taste are okay.

I ate a serving of acidic fresh cheese recently late in the day, because I bought it by mistake and didn‘t have anything else. I made a sweet cheesecake out of it to see if the sugar would offset the lactic acid (and because I didn‘t fully believe the lactic acid would have a noticable effect on me). It was pretty bad. I felt it deplete my liver glycogen pretty quickly. I got extremely tired and freezing within minutes.

I would say if big amounts of the cheese don‘t make you feel bad, you‘re good.

very interesting; that does not bode well for Magerquark, right? But can there be a chance? Quark also dispenses the wheyfraction, 500g of quark has 20g Carbs, is lactic acid counted towards Carbohydrate?

boris

very interesting; that does not bode well for Magerquark, right? But can there be a chance? Quark also dispenses the wheyfraction, 500g of quark has 20g Carbs, is lactic acid counted towards Carbohydrate?

It was a magerquark that I ate (budget brand). There are good ones that aren't acidic. But you can immediately taste it.

Interesting about the carbs/lactic acid, it's possible.

Hgreen56

20 carbs = lactose.
lactose and lactic acid is not the same.
or i missing something here?

20 carbs = lactose.
lactose and lactic acid is not the same.
or i missing something here?

The idea is that the processing introduces rennet or organisms to the preproduct that reforms the native milksugars into lactic acid over time, partially or whole. I looked it up some time ago, and the lactic acid content is low, a couple of grams per 500g of quark or such.

lampofred

When in doubt, go with Parmesan...