Cheap Road Bike?

Cirion

Looking for a cheap road bike brand that isn't garbage. I am planning to use it for at most 30-60 minutes every now and then. So it doesn't need to be fancy, or have ultra durability (But I'd like it not to break after just a few uses either), or even be ultra comfortable (But reducing back strain would be ideal). It just needs to get the job done, since I don't plan to use it a TON just mostly probably on weekends to get a little movement and sunlight in. So with that I really don't want to spend more than $200, and even less than $100 would be great but I know it may be hard not to get something completely trash for $100 lol.

Jack Corbett

Cirion, been reading some of your recent posts and i see youve realised the power of carbs!! lol, just kidding with you brah. Being honest if i were you, if you start cycling and keep the high carb going youll enjoy it so much it would be a pity not to have a good bike. I recommend you to invest in the Trek Emonda ALR 5 2019 model if you can afford it, its a beauty of a bike and i know you were looking for something cheap but this will pay you back a million times over period. Its way way above your price tag but if you buy this and get the cycling buzz you wont look back Émonda ALR 5 | Trek Bikes

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Cirion

Cirion

Lol yeah carbs are where its at. It is funny that it took me 2 years to "re" discover that fact. I got myself all confused because of reading stuff and thinking I needed SFA's and whatnot.

Lol yeah that bike is a bit beyond my price range, but I'll keep in mind if I find myself more seriously biking as a hobby! I just don't wanna drop a ton of money only to find out I use it once or twice. Better to get something cheap now like 100-200$ and if I find it enjoyable then I can upgrade I'm thinking.

Nebula

Lol yeah carbs are where its at. It is funny that it took me 2 years to "re" discover that fact. I got myself all confused because of reading stuff and thinking I needed SFA's and whatnot.

Lol yeah that bike is a bit beyond my price range, but I'll keep in mind if I find myself more seriously biking as a hobby! I just don't wanna drop a ton of money only to find out I use it once or twice. Better to get something cheap now like 100-200$ and if I find it enjoyable then I can upgrade I'm thinking.
It will be hard to find something worthwhile even used in that price range, although you could get lucky and find someone selling something decent for $200. It might be better to just find a sport or activity you enjoy that requires less equipment. Hiking, walking, swimming, rollerblading, football (non-American kind) etc.

milkboi

Look into single-speeders, bought one for 150 euros and it has been serving me well :)

tygertgr

Starting price for a geared road bike that's not junk is about $1200 USD. If you go cheaper than that and actually use it much you will soon have problems with keeping the shifting tuned, the wheels true, and issues with the bottom bracket and headset. It'll be a false economy. Trek emonda ALR 4 is probably at about the sweet spot for price/not-disposable-junk.

You can get some nice older steel frame bikes off craigslist quite cheap and fix them up, but if you don't already know how and own tools it's probably not worth it.

You can get a decent single-speed/fixed-gear bike for about $650 USD. If it's not hilly running single speed can be a sensible idea.

Fractality

I agree with the others, you need to budget around $1,200. I bought an entry level road bike and it was around that price. I've used it regularly so I'm happy with the purchase.

Runenight201

I’ve had great success buying bikes on Craigslist. The amount of used gear that’s available in this world is incredible. I’m not sure I really want to buy anything new anymore. I would try Craigslist first, you could get something within your wants for very cheap. You may decide you like biking so much to upgrade and buy a really nice one, but for an initial foray into biking I would recommend used.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Sounds like the answer is single speed then. I don't plan to do anything very hilly, mostly flat, in fact the park I have in mind is 100% flat. And maybe get used off craigslist. But single speed bikes are more reliable from what I can recall being a kid, so I think you can probably get away with a little cheaper brands at least for single speeds.

I will admit I recall as a kid having problems with geared bikes that were cheaper brands. But even then, as long as you didn't shift gears a lot, it was fine (The problems would only seem to occur if you shifted gears too often). They only had issues switching gears so I would think single speed bikes would be pretty reliable.

And tbh even if they occasionally act up it actually doesn't bother me too much. I can't in good conscious spend $1000 on something, not currently anyway.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

tygertgr

Don't break a hip, grandma. Shoulda got something from state bicycle and learned to skid.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals