Charlie's Customized Bag Breathing Apparatus

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Got tired of holding the paper bag up to my face everyday, several times a day. So I called on my best MacGuyver skills and fashioned me up a bag breathing apparatus. :cool: This makes it really easy and convienent to bag breath.

At first, I only used one bag, and plugged up the other 2 holes. But, I felt a lot of resistance while breathing. So, I went ahead and made the 3 bag deal and now there is very little resistance.

I started with this:

I took off the two filters, a snap in type plastic o-ring deal is left. So I snapped that out from the inside, then, push the bag from the outside to the inside through the hole, fashion the bag around the o-ring, then snap the o-ring and bag back into the holding place. This takes a little finese, and you might rip a bag or two so keep extra on hand.

I then, take the middle section apart, and again, all that is left is a plastic o-ring type holder. I snap that out towards the outside of the mask, fashion the bag around the holder, then snap the bag and holder back onto the mask from the outside. This takes a bit of hand strength to do, because you have to stretch the rubber mask around the holder and bag.

And this is the final product:

Attachments

• bag_breathing_apparatus - Copy.jpg
    bag_breathing_apparatus - Copy.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 1,938
  • bag_breathing_apparatus_2.jpg
    bag_breathing_apparatus_2.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 2,120

kettlebell

Charlie, This is brilliant. As I said yesterday - I would be terrified and really confused if I met you like that on a dark night haha.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:rolling

You mean, I shouldn't add this pic to my dating profile? :lol:

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I will admit, I really like the shock value of it. :lol:

But seriously, it works really well.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Rachel said:

:lol:

Maybe I need to draw smiley faces on the bags or something. :confused

Spacehoppa

At a private clinic I attend in the UK, they make re-breathing masks that look like a scuba diving mask with a tube coming out the top. They have to do a load of neurological testing (I think) to get the length of the tube right to retain the right amount of CO2. They said my breathing was borderline and that I didn't need one, and that I should just learn buteyko breathing instead, but seeing as I stumped up for the neurological tests, (and they didn't test me when I was high estrogen, which is when I have the chorea), I might ask if I can get one made for me anyway. If I do, I'll post a photo. Might give people some ideas about making their own.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
That would be really great if you could Spacehoppa!

R

ratcheer

For what it's worth, I use a medium sized plastic bag with handles. It's from a bookstore (Books Inc., to be precise), and is just the right size - if I did nothing else the bag would fit loosely over my face. So I use twist-ties around each of the handles to get a loop. The loops just fit over my ears and they hold the bag over my nose and mouth.

I'll sometimes sit and watch a movie with the bag on. I hope nobody takes pictures! Sometimes I'll walk around or do some gentle yoga - but if the bag is tight I need to move slowly to not start gasping for breath.

What surprised me about bag breathing was how hard it really is to get enough CO2 to make a big difference, and how safe it really is. The first time I was terrified of going near it while asleep for example. But now I'll happily loops it over my ears and doze off - because even if there's a problem I'll just take it off in the night (usually without even waking). The only reason I don't do it while asleep is that the plastic is too noisy...

sladerunner69

Wow, that's rad man. Nice improvising. When you use it outside what kind of reactions and looks do you get? I tend to get some bizarre looks when I bag breath in public places like parks, restaurants, etc. I can't count how many times I've been approached and yelled at by some dickweed who thinks I'm inhaling glue or paint thinner. Sure, more often than not, I AM huffing a little sprinkle of ssomethin extra to mellow out and get up in that headspace , but who are they to just assume, ya know?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:lol: I dont use it outside. I could not imagine the looks I would get doing that.

m_arch

Hahaha this is awesome.
I have a 'training elevation mask' which Artor Rakhimov at normalbreathing.com recommends for exercising but haven't really used it as I've stopped cardio!