Charlie's Customized Bag Breathing Apparatus

Discussion in 'CO2, Bag Breathing' started by charlie, Nov 27, 2012.

1. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

Got tired of holding the paper bag up to my face everyday, several times a day. So I called on my best MacGuyver skills and fashioned me up a bag breathing apparatus. :cool: This makes it really easy and convienent to bag breath.

At first, I only used one bag, and plugged up the other 2 holes. But, I felt a lot of resistance while breathing. So, I went ahead and made the 3 bag deal and now there is very little resistance.

I started with this:

I took off the two filters, a snap in type plastic o-ring deal is left. So I snapped that out from the inside, then, push the bag from the outside to the inside through the hole, fashion the bag around the o-ring, then snap the o-ring and bag back into the holding place. This takes a little finese, and you might rip a bag or two so keep extra on hand.

I then, take the middle section apart, and again, all that is left is a plastic o-ring type holder. I snap that out towards the outside of the mask, fashion the bag around the holder, then snap the bag and holder back onto the mask from the outside. This takes a bit of hand strength to do, because you have to stretch the rubber mask around the holder and bag.

And this is the final product:

Attached Files:

2. kettlebell

kettlebell Member

Charlie, This is brilliant. As I said yesterday - I would be terrified and really confused if I met you like that on a dark night haha.

3. OP
    charlie

:rolling

You mean, I shouldn't add this pic to my dating profile? :lol:

4. kettlebell

kettlebell Member

:rolling Haha, that would be brilliant for a laugh.

5. Chemi

Chemi Member

Cool! Looks like something out of a sci fi film :lol:

6. OP
    charlie

I will admit, I really like the shock value of it. :lol:

But seriously, it works really well.

7. Rachel

Rachel Member

8. OP
    charlie

:lol:

Maybe I need to draw smiley faces on the bags or something. :confused

9. Spacehoppa

Spacehoppa Member

At a private clinic I attend in the UK, they make re-breathing masks that look like a scuba diving mask with a tube coming out the top. They have to do a load of neurological testing (I think) to get the length of the tube right to retain the right amount of CO2. They said my breathing was borderline and that I didn't need one, and that I should just learn buteyko breathing instead, but seeing as I stumped up for the neurological tests, (and they didn't test me when I was high estrogen, which is when I have the chorea), I might ask if I can get one made for me anyway. If I do, I'll post a photo. Might give people some ideas about making their own.

10. OP
    charlie

That would be really great if you could Spacehoppa!

11. ratcheer

ratcheer Guest

For what it's worth, I use a medium sized plastic bag with handles. It's from a bookstore (Books Inc., to be precise), and is just the right size - if I did nothing else the bag would fit loosely over my face. So I use twist-ties around each of the handles to get a loop. The loops just fit over my ears and they hold the bag over my nose and mouth.

I'll sometimes sit and watch a movie with the bag on. I hope nobody takes pictures! Sometimes I'll walk around or do some gentle yoga - but if the bag is tight I need to move slowly to not start gasping for breath.

What surprised me about bag breathing was how hard it really is to get enough CO2 to make a big difference, and how safe it really is. The first time I was terrified of going near it while asleep for example. But now I'll happily loops it over my ears and doze off - because even if there's a problem I'll just take it off in the night (usually without even waking). The only reason I don't do it while asleep is that the plastic is too noisy...

12. sladerunner69

sladerunner69 Member

Econ Student
    Wow, that's rad man. Nice improvising. When you use it outside what kind of reactions and looks do you get? I tend to get some bizarre looks when I bag breath in public places like parks, restaurants, etc. I can't count how many times I've been approached and yelled at by some dickweed who thinks I'm inhaling glue or paint thinner. Sure, more often than not, I AM huffing a little sprinkle of ssomethin extra to mellow out and get up in that headspace , but who are they to just assume, ya know?

13. OP
    charlie

:lol: I dont use it outside. I could not imagine the looks I would get doing that.

14. Derok

Derok Member

I did one myself ;P
    [​IMG]

15. m_arch

m_arch Member

Hahaha this is awesome.
    I have a 'training elevation mask' which Artor Rakhimov at normalbreathing.com recommends for exercising but haven't really used it as I've stopped cardio!

16. md_a

md_a Member