Chapped lips & thyroid, psychiatric disorders are correlated

Ben

I have suffered from chapped lips for a long time. Then a couple of years ago, I did some research and found out that licking lips can cause chapped lips. I stopped licking them, but the chapped lips persisted. I would have to pick the dry, yellow skin off of my lips, sometimes making them bleed, in order for them to look normal. Now I wondered if chapped lips have to do with poor physiology, since everything else I have is. No surprise:

Also termed "cheilitis exfoliativa" or "tic de levres",[13] is an uncommon[26] inflammatory condition of the vermillion zone of the lips, which are painful and crusted.[36] There is continuous production and desquamation (shedding) of thick, brown scales of keratin.[26][14] the keratin layer of the epidermis of the lips experiences an accelerated growth and death rate than normal and desquamates.[37] When these scales are removed, a normal appearing lip is revealed beneath,[26] although there may be associated erythema and edema.[36] The condition has not yet been attributed to any particular cause. Rarely are infections to blame.[36] In some individuals, there is an association with stress, anxiety, depression or personality disorders.[36][14] In one report, 87% of individuals had some form of psychiatric disturbance, and 47% had thyroid dysfunction, which in turn can cause psychiatric conditions like depression.[28]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapped_l ... _cheilitis

I have hypothyroidism, but the chapped lips didn't go away with thyroid treatment. So the cause is more likely stress-related, and high amounts of stress often lead to thyroid dysfunction. I do have an anxiety disorder. Man, I look so sickly. Acne, rosacea, dandruff, bulging veins, stretch marks, chapped lips. All stress-related.

Someone said progest-E treated their chapped lips well from cold weather, but it would be a pain to apply it several times a day. I get it regardless of weather conditions. It's good that research is being done that shows how stress is related to physical disorders that are seemingly unrelated. It may be the beginning of the end for some pharmaceutical drugs by showing how stress and thyroid, and disease, are involved, and that stress itself can be treated.

What worries me though, is that I'm taking pregnenolone, progest-E, vitamin E, K, D, B1, B3, B6, T3, T4, doxycyclin, tianeptine, eating the carrot daily now, avoiding PUFAs strictly, eating a lot of cheese, have a starch-free diet and eating lots of sugar, bathing in epsom salts, getting plenty of sodium and potassium, practicing positive thinking, minimizing work, etc, but my physical condition is not improving. I wonder how bad it would be if I weren't taking all of these things and focusing very much on being healthy. I don't know what else to try to minimize stress.

lexis

Re: Chapped lips & thyroid, psychiatric disorders are correl

What about Vitamin B2?

OP
B

Ben

I haven't read any sources inferring it would significantly improve physiology, and RP said riboflavin supplements often contain impurities. Why did you ask about it?

jyb

Ben said:
What worries me though, is that I'm taking pregnenolone, progest-E, vitamin E, K, D, B1, B3, B6, T3, T4, doxycyclin, tianeptine, eating the carrot daily now, avoiding PUFAs strictly, eating a lot of cheese, have a starch-free diet and eating lots of sugar, bathing in epsom salts, getting plenty of sodium and potassium, practicing positive thinking, minimizing work, etc, but my physical condition is not improving. I wonder how bad it would be if I weren't taking all of these things and focusing very much on being healthy. I don't know what else to try to minimize stress.

I've found low dose DHEA and high-dose cypro useful against systematic stress. I've had bad experience with pregnelonone, vit K, and doxy. So if I were taking all those supplements at once blindly, I wouldn't see any benefits.

lexis

Ben said:
I haven't read any sources inferring it would significantly improve physiology, and RP said riboflavin supplements often contain impurities. Why did you ask about it?

I asked because you mentioned you have rosacea. Ray Peat has an article on the topic.

tomisonbottom

Soemon
Ben said:
I have suffered from chapped lips for a long time.What worries me though, is that I'm taking pregnenolone, progest-E, vitamin E, K, D, B1, B3, B6, T3, T4, doxycyclin, tianeptine, eating the carrot daily now, avoiding PUFAs strictly, eating a lot of cheese, have a starch-free diet and eating lots of sugar, bathing in epsom salts, getting plenty of sodium and potassium, practicing positive thinking, minimizing work, etc, but my physical condition is not improving. I wonder how bad it would be if I weren't taking all of these things and focusing very much on being healthy. I don't know what else to try to minimize stress.

Do you think you're getting 2000mg of calcium a day? I have it to and was looking for solutions and read on here someone said just taking some eggshell calcium got rid of their chapped lips, practically overnight. It is definitely related to overall health, and is a hypo symptom so as you get better it should happen less and less.

OP
B

Ben

I usually get more calcium than that from cheese. Could also be the magnesium in eggshells, but epsom salt baths didn't effect my chapped lips either.

Filip1993

jyb said:
Ben said:

I've found low dose DHEA and high-dose cypro useful against systematic stress. I've had bad experience with pregnelonone, vit K, and doxy. So if I were taking all those supplements at once blindly, I wouldn't see any benefits.

Jyb, how did vit K affect you?

ilovethesea

I started getting chapped lips since the T3 shortage these last months. At first I thought it was a lip balm I was using, but I stopped using it over a month ago and still my lips come off in sheets.

So I can see how peeling lips must be related to thyroid, as my hypothyroidism has been getting worse. I feel like the Ray Peat diet increased my thyroid needs so much, so now that I dropped meds in half I have so many problems...

SQu

I have a similar but milder problem, and nothing has helped though I'm still hoping because I have a long way to go yet. I've tried many things mentioned here. Calcium has been wonderful for mood and aching, but hasn't affected my lips. Lips and nails are weak points for me.

Sea

Eat more carbohydrates and more calories. In my experience, chronic chapped lips quickly go away when the body has adequate carbohydrate intake. Since you are avoiding starch, there is a good chance you just aren't getting enough sugars, or aren't getting them frequently enough. I would recommend eating more honey, ice cream, or simply eating some refined starches. Pizza or cake has a lot of calories that are easy to consume, so I think that these foods can be therapeutic for chapped lips and probably heal them faster than less calorically dense food will.

Kray

I started getting chapped lips since the T3 shortage these last months. At first I thought it was a lip balm I was using, but I stopped using it over a month ago and still my lips come off in sheets.

So I can see how peeling lips must be related to thyroid, as my hypothyroidism has been getting worse. I feel like the Ray Peat diet increased my thyroid needs so much, so now that I dropped meds in half I have so many problems...
How are your chapped lips? Do you still suffer? I am having a real bad time with the change of weather to winter. Please share anything that helped you. Thanks~

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals