Centenarian Commonality: "Nothing Bothers Them"

Tenacity

They probably don't get stressed out as much because they have larger energetic reserves to deal with stress.

OP
Y

YourUniverse

I wonder if PUFA depletion is health and longevity promoting purely because it stifles the stress response, and if thats the case, it could probably be achieved by behaviour control too

Gone Peating

You guys have way too much of a reductionist world view. Not everything boils down to pufa and iron and electrons.

Our free will is even more powerful than these things if we are strong

OP
Y

YourUniverse

You guys have way too much of a reductionist world view. Not everything boils down to pufa and iron and electrons.

I am not "you guys", feel free to quote me directly if you disagree.

Of course there is nuance, but I also think most things can be reduced to general principles.

Frankdee20

Thank you, I’m surprised they haven’t said PUFA killed JFK

OP
Y

YourUniverse

This is a chicken and egg argument, and what you are calling reductionist is actually very complicated, i guess without a keen enough look.

Centenarians are not easily stressed. Does stress exist without PUFA potentiating adrenaline, cortisol and estrogen?

All stress is perceived. Does a high PUFA diet fed to a monk lead to longevity?

Is PUFA causing shorter lifespans, or is stress?

mrchibbs

They probably don't get stressed out as much because they have larger energetic reserves to deal with stress.

This is true, despite the realities of aging. Some old people are much more robust and resilient than even 20 y.olds these days.
I suspect, they have an inherent advantage from early development i.e. inherited metabolic strengths and low PUFA / nutrient
rich diet in early life, so that they developed to their full potential in early adulthood.

These days there is a lot of ''arrested development'' happening, my intuition is that we'll see the numbers of centenarians go down, not up, in coming years.

michael94

I agree one should not diminish the importance of Will and Courage. Everyone needs such Things. But viewing stress in terms of PUFA is not necessarily reductionist. It is one valid way of understanding, among other factors which may be perhaps more important. If you put your hand in a fire too long it will burn. It would not be reductionist to associate fire and skin contact with burns