Cellulite -cause, Development And Ultimate Solution!

repeat

As in topic, any ideas here? :)

Here's from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulite :

Hormonal factors
Hormones play a dominant role in the formation of cellulite. Estrogen may be the important hormone to initiate and aggravate cellulite. However, there has been no reliable clinical evidence to support such a claim. Other hormones, including insulin, the catecholamines adrenaline and noradrenaline, thyroid hormones, and prolactin, are all believed to participate in the development of cellulite.[1]

Is a Ray Peat diet, aiming to balance hormones, lower stress hormones, lower inflammation and improve overall metabolism the best "solution"?
I would wish so.

OP
R

repeat

My own experience is that norepinephrine caused my cellulite to develop.
I took cymbalta (a norepinephrine and serotonin reuptake inhibitor), and the change was obvious. It makes me wonder what inflammation and other changes in my system that I'm left with from that "medication". I'm sure it didn't make my body stronger or healthier in any way.

marcar72

I've heard that cellulite is caused by PUFAs actually. In theory if someone with cellulite had been restricting PUFA and eating saturated fat then they wouldn't have cellulite, even if they were on the heavy side. They could be thick but they'd be solid. I'd google it a bit for more info. Might explain why some BBW look pretty hot and others eeek!! :lol: So if it is caused by the type of fat one consumes then Ray Peat definately is all over it!! :2cents

ilovethesea

I would like info on this too. There was a thread I came across on this too by the way http://forum.lowcarber.org/printthread. ... =104&pp=15

I think it has to be a combination of PUFA and estrogen imbalance, otherwise wouldn't men have it as well? I know my skin texture was never the same after going on the pill. (ugh)

I have heard dry brushing and rebounding help. Maybe topical coconut oil as well. I am also trying to eat 4 tbsp of coconut oil a day lately for the skin benefits (like the model Miranda Kerr does) so maybe it would have an effect on cellulite too. I eliminated all my PUFA topical beauty products and I am even trying to limit low PUFA foods like eggs.

Oh and those foam roller things people use for stretching. Maybe the pressure helps tighten the skin or something if you roll cellulite parts over them.

Another idea is to take mega doses of progest E for a while. I know I don't take enough, I always forget until nighttime.

Otherwise I guess we're stuck waiting the 4 years until the PUFAs leave our systems...

Swandattur

I agree with Ilovethesea, it must have something to do with estrogen along with PUFA. Wouldn't the ramped up serotonin in the Cymbalta likely have something to do with it, since serotonin and estrogen seem to go together?
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/se ... sion.shtml This article says that estrogen increases serotonin and histamine. Here is a quote about it:

Serotonin and estrogen have many systematically interrelated functions, and women are much more likely to suffer from depression than men are. Serotonin and histamine are increased by estrogen, and their activation mimics the effects of estrogen. Serotonin is closely involved in mood disorders, but also in a great variety of other problems that affect women much more frequently than men. These are probably primarily energy disorders, relating to cellular respiration and thyroid function. Liver disease and brain disease, e.g., Alzheimer’s disease, are both much more common in women than in men, and serotonin and estrogen strongly affect the energetic processes in these organs. Liver disease can increase the brain’s exposure to serotonin, ammonia, and histamine. It isn’t just a coincidence that these three amines occur together and are neurotoxic; they are all stress-related substances, with natural roles in signaling and regulation.

ilovethesea

THat's interesting. The serotonin piece of the puzzle is one I haven't looked into for myself yet. I wonder how do you tell if you have high serotonin.

The other thing about cellulite I forgot to mention is eating gelatin. Since it helps the connective tissues.
I found this article which is interesting, I know it's about wrinkles but I would have to think it applies to the rest of our skin too. http://hellobeautiful.com/2501819/want- ... t-gelatin/

Swandattur

Some of this makes sense to me and some of it doesn't: http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... te-forever
The thing about underwear elastic cutting off circulation seems silly. Does anybody wear underwear that tight? The implication of estrogen seems to go along with the RP viewpoint. Those 'cures' she talks about sound weird, except for the caffeine application. You have to read this article filtering through the RP perspective (and common sense), but it has some information like women having more fat layers than men and a different way it is held in place.

Swandattur

This article lays things out pretty well. http://www.drlenkravitz.com/Articles/cellulite.html
Of course, there's the part about lots of aerobic exercise reducing cellulite along with fat (and muscle), but then you would get more hypothyroid. It does show a picture of the structure of fat in men and women at the end of the article.

Seems like reversing the hypothyroid state is the best medicine!

Dutchie

Today someone posted this about cellulite on the forums of 180Degrees:

"Also, you can improve the appearance of cellulite in loads of ways, as I understand (but might be wrong) cellulite is pockets of fat that become visible because the skin condition is weak, so if you improve the skin, the cellulite “disappears”. You can groom the problem areas with something like a brush to increase blood flow.

I can’t believe I’m admitting this out loud because it sounds strange but this is my favourite skin improving remedy: mix used coffee grounds with olive oil, you don’t need a lot, then after a hot wash scrub the cellulite area thoroughly with the mixture, then, wrap the bits up with cling film (yes), followed by a warm towel. Hang around like that for about 10 minutes, then wash it all off, I use very cold water. Afterwards, massage the olive oil in."

Swandattur

Well, I guess coffee grounds would make a nice exfoliant and and the caffeine and oils ought to be good on the skin and underlying tissue. I never thought of using coffee grounds as an exfoliant, but it's handy if you drink coffee every day. This would be along with the massage part of it. Seems like a good idea!

Swandattur

Dutchie I tried rubbing the coffee grounds in a wash cloth on my legs for the heck of it. Actually, at my age, I don't worry that much about cellulite anymore. Too much water over the dam at this point, more a matter of curiosity. (I didn't do the full treatment with the cling wrap.)I did notice coffee on the skin seemed to give, at least, one of the same effects as coffee ingested, only more so: Instant peristalsis or whatever it would be that makes things go on through. It was pretty stimulating in other ways, too. Interesting! :)

HDD

Did anyone see you rubbing coffee grounds on your cellulite? Lol My family would probably commit me.

4peatssake

This is committed! ;)

cartoon-cellulite-treatments.jpg

Swandattur

Hah! I don't know how things are for Dutchie, but husband can't say anything about what I do, believe me! The stuff he does makes my eccentricities look tediously normal. ;) Probably it wouldn't occur to him it was strange, anyway.

Peata

If my husband saw me scrubbing used coffee grounds on my body and wrapping myself up in plastic wrap, he wouldn't bat an eye. After all these years he just knows how I am.

4peatssake

Peata said:
If my husband saw me scrubbing used coffee grounds on my body and wrapping myself up in plastic wrap, he wouldn't bat an eye. After all these years he just knows how I am.
I just read your post aloud to my husband and he shrugged and said, "yup, always something."
:rolling

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Peata

4peatssake said:
Peata said:
I just read your post aloud to my husband and he shrugged and said, "yup, always something."

He must live with somebody like that. ;)