Cells From Dead Bodies Stay Alive And Functional For More Than 2 Weeks

haidut

Forum Supporter
I mentioned on a few of Danny Roddy's shows about the current experiments with so-called "suspended animation".
Suspended animation - Wikipedia

Those experiments proved that an organism can be made completely dead (legally speaking) with no heartbeat, no brain activity and no organ function, and it can be kept in that state for days. After that, upon reintroduction of blood and resuscitation, the organism comes back to life and appears completely normal. Up until last year, the experiments had been conducted only with animals, but news leaked that a few US military sites successfully applied the technique to critically injured solders, and it worked just as well.
Aside from the thorny questions this raises about what "dead" really means, it also raises the uncomfortable possibility that "dead" people are being buried while still in a state where they can possibly be revived. In support of this "death as a process as opposed to an event" idea, the study below found that some cells from "dead" humans remain alive and viable for more than 2 weeks, and are completely functional when transplanted in a "living" body. The cells enter a state not unlike the one of suspended animation (or hibernation) and dramatically slow down their metabolism in order to conserve energy.
This reminds me of Peat's article on a toad that had been "buried" accidentally in concrete when a new house was being built and spending several decades in this state of hibernation. When the house was being demolished and the toad was found by workers, it quickly revived when they poured some water on it. A similar process of truly suspended animation is employed by the tardigrade (water bear), and it is thought that the mechanism responsible for this amazing feat of survival is the animal's usage or the sugar trehalose in its cells.
Tardigrade - Wikipedia
"...Tardigrades are one of the few groups of species that are capable of suspending their metabolism (see cryptobiosis). Many species of tardigrade can survive in a dehydrated state up to five years, or in exceptional cases longer.[42][43] Depending on the environment, they may enter this state via anhydrobiosis, cryobiosis, osmobiosis, or anoxybiosis. While in this state, their metabolism lowers to less than 0.01% of normal and their water content can drop to 1% of normal.[34] Their ability to remain desiccated for such long periods was thought to be largely dependent on the high levels of the nonreducing sugar trehalose, which protects their membranes, although recent research suggests that tardigrades have a unique type of disordered protein that serves a similar purpose: It replaces water in the cells and adopts a glassy, vitrified state when the animals dry out.[44] Their DNA is further protected from radiation by a protein called "dsup" (short for damage suppressor).[45][46] In this cryptobiotic state, the tardigrade is known as a tun.[47]"

Peat wrote about trehalose, which is a non-reducing sugar, and its ability to stabilize cells and protect them from radiation, poison and other assaults. Another non-reducing sugar is sucrose. I don't know if these sugars can perform the same feats in humans, but it certainly seems likely. It remains to be seen if trehalose/sucrose will be used in those suspended animation experiments with humans when they become more widespread.

Skeletal muscle stem cells adopt a dormant cell state post mortem and retain regenerative capacity
After death, some stem cells remain alive for days | FierceBiotech

"...By becoming dormant, skeletal muscle stem cells can survive in a human body after a person dies, for a good 17 days after the fact. During that time, it turns out, they're still viable enough to be revived and then subdivide into workable cells, Fabrice Chretien of the Pasteur Institute in Paris and his colleagues have discovered. Their finding, published in the journal Nature Communications, could someday allow for patients to donate their stem cells, post-mortem, for use as a possible tissue rebuilding treatment.
Previously, these kind of stem cells were thought to survive for no more than a day or two, but the research team's data on the survival skills of human skeletal stem cells in a dead body explodes that notion. The same thing goes for mice: The researchers determined that these same kind of stem cells remain alive in rodents for about 16 days, the Daily Mail, Agence France Press, and others reported. Separately, they learned that bone marrow stem cells in mice survived for about four days after death and could still rebuild tissue in the wake of a bone marrow transplant.
The key to remaining viable: The skeletal stem cells slowed their metabolism until they became dormant, allowing them to conserve vital energy even as the body in which they are housed dies around them."

Soren

Forum Supporter
Wow. Along with the launch of the Space X falcon heavy this is one of the coolest things I've heard in a while. Do you have any more details on the experiments with the soldiers; how long were they "dead", if there were any lasting effects such as brain damage etc?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Wow. Along with the launch of the Space X falcon heavy this is one of the coolest things I've heard in a while. Do you have any more details on the experiments with the soldiers; how long were they "dead", if there were any lasting effects such as brain damage etc?

Most of the information is classified since it was done on Special Ops personnel, but from whatever little info leaked I think they manage to keep them "suspended" for 6-8 hours until the victims were flown to the US military base in Germany from Afghanistan and Iraq. There is also an unconfirmed report of a Navy Seal being kept like that for more than 48 hours. I don't think there was any damage form the procedure. If done right, it can actually improve the brain (if there was damage) compared to what would happen if just conventional treatment is given. For that reason, there is a proposal in the military to "suspend" all brain injury victims by default and before any treatment in order to improve their recovery. Better health for the soldier and...less disability payments for the system :):

Tarmander

You ever think you’ll jump on danny’s Podcast again and do an update on what has come out since your last appearance?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
You ever think you’ll jump on danny’s Podcast again and do an update on what has come out since your last appearance?

I was on Danny's podcast last month (January 2018) and should be on again this coming Friday. I thought he announced it on his page a few times??

Tarmander

I was on Danny's podcast last month (January 2018) and should be on again this coming Friday. I thought he announced it on his page a few times??
Hmm, I must have missed it. I will look for it, thanks!

paymanz

That toad staying alive for decades,thats something that is hard to believe for me , how ray is sure thats a true story?!

Another one i heard recently was interview with Gerald Pollack, and he said there are some people in india who can stay alive for years without eating any food! For years!!

I cant believe those stories and when i hear these stuff from these scientists that scares me a bit.

Wagner83

Now this is what I call fasting pushed to the limit. No more cancer, diabetes, high BP or any other condition.
Can you position the mortar (camera) a bit higher up?

Last edited:

Wagner83

That toad staying alive for decades,thats something that is hard to believe for me , how ray is sure thats a true story?!

Another one i heard recently was interview with Gerald Pollack, and he said there are some people in india who can stay alive for years without eating any food! For years!!

I cant believe those stories and when i hear these stuff from these scientists that scares me a bit.
This is fascinating, @Daniel11 has talked about those yogis, if you search online there are the pictures and story of someone who is supposedly 80s but looks in his 40s.. Of course this could be a big joke. If it's possible to live from different sources of energy than most foods and manipulate energy flows in the body that should be very conserving indeed.

paymanz

This is fascinating, @Daniel11 has talked about those yogis, if you search online there are the pictures and story of someone who is supposedly 80s but looks in his 40s.. Of course this could be a big joke. If it's possible to live from different sources of energy than most foods and manipulate energy flows in the body that should be very conserving indeed.
But is there real evidence? We dont know ,i highly doubt these stories being real.

I think i saw that 80 year old yogi ,but who knows if thats a real story?i think even if that be true i still doubt his youthfulness being a product of his life style.

This one is interesting too
This 80-year-old bodybuilder has some important fitness advice for you

paymanz

Now this is what I call fasting pushed to the limit. No more cancer, diabetes, high BP or any other condition.
I havent done long fast but for a period of my life i was undereating and training so hard, and that life style totally distroyed my health.

What your body gonna do if you have a mineral deficiency for example? fasting can't correct that.

Koveras

Peat wrote about trehalose, which is a non-reducing sugar, and its ability to stabilize cells and protect them from radiation, poison and other assaults. Another non-reducing sugar is sucrose. I don't know if these sugars can perform the same feats in humans, but it certainly seems likely. It remains to be seen if trehalose/sucrose will be used in those suspended animation experiments with humans when they become more widespread.

One caution regarding trehalose

Dietary sugar linked to increasing bacterial epidemics

"The researchers investigated what sources of food RT027 and RT078 preferred. They discovered that these lineages can grow on levels of sugar trehalose that are about 1,000 times lower than those needed by other lineages of these bacteria, giving RT027 and RT078 a major advantage. Each lineage is highly efficient at using trehalose and evolved independent mechanisms to utilize this sugar. To connect the ability to metabolize low levels of trehalose with increased disease severity, the researchers worked with a mouse model of C. difficile infection."

"Further experiments showed that increased disease severity in the presence of trehalose could not be explained by the mice having higher numbers of bacteria, instead what made the disease more severe was that RT027 produced higher levels of toxins."

"These and other experiments provide evidence that dietary trehalose has contributed to the predominance of epidemic C. difficile lineages and to their virulence. Because the genetic factors that allow these bacteria to metabolize trehalose and increase the production of toxins were present well before the outbreaks started, the researchers investigated what could have triggered the epidemics."

"In 2000, trehalose was approved as a food additive in the United States for a number of foods from sushi and vegetables to ice cream, and about three years later the reports of outbreaks with these lineages started to increase," Britton said. "Other factors may also contribute, but we think that trehalose is a key trigger.""

Wagner83

Dig a hole in the soil, lay in it, open anesthesiology book, die for two weeks, absorb minerals .
I havent done long fast but for a period of my life i was undereating and training so hard, and that life style totally distroyed my health.

What your body gonna do if you have a mineral deficiency for example? fasting can't correct that.

I was joking but quite a few people have had improvements with fasting, more or less time, breuss style or not. You can find posts on here, I think @Orion is one of those who improved from it, maybe he can confirm. Some people had bad results too. Although there is a difference between chronically undereating, or under eating nutrients, and fasting. I do 't have any opinion on it.

Orion

Dig a hole in the soil, lay in it, open anesthesiology book, die for two weeks, absorb minerals .

I was joking but quite a few people have had improvements with fasting, more or less time, breuss style or not. You can find posts on here, I think @Orion is one of those who improved from it, maybe he can confirm. Some people had bad results too. Although there is a difference between chronically undereating, or under eating nutrients, and fasting. I do 't have any opinion on it.

I think its the depletion of mineral imbalances and autophagy from long fasting and then proper re-feed afterwards that help.

Wagner83

I think its the depletion of mineral imbalances and autophagy from long fasting and then proper re-feed afterwards that help.
Thanks. What benefits did you experience from the long 40 days breuss fast? I remember you had mainly skin issues but I'm curious about all.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Can you position the mortar (camera) a bit higher up?

Sure, I will try to better position myself next time. I am sitting at a desk and using a laptop camera so my movement options are limited :):

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

At least one of those Indian man spent 15 days in a hospital ward under observation of doctors and he did just fine with no food or water. I am not sure why this is not bigger news as if true it would be groundbreaking.
Docs Baffled by Man Who Doesn't Eat or Drink
"...Jani spent more than two weeks in April and May under the observation of doctors at Sterling Hospital in the western Indian city of Ahmedabad. "We studied him for 15 days with him taking no water or food," Dr. Sudhir Shah told ABC News. Shah said that Jani gargled water and took baths, but consumed nothing. While thin, Jani is healthy, doctors said. "Somebody doesn't take water for seven or eight days he surely dies," Shah said. Perhaps as equally interesting for the doctors was the fact that Jani passed no urine or stool during the time period. Shah said the normally when someone has no stool or urine, they need dialysis. Jani has confounded the scientists. "We are studying the phenomenon," Shah said."

Wagner83

Sure, I will try to better position myself next time. I am sitting at a desk and using a laptop camera so my movement options are limited :):
Just a pile of books under the laptop will do (it looked like a separate device?) . You could also sit on a pillow on the floor with your eyes reaching just above the desk or do the show Punch and Judy style but it would be less optimal.

Orion

Thanks. What benefits did you experience from the long 40 days breuss fast? I remember you had mainly skin issues but I'm curious about all.

Did 54 day Breuss fast. My two main issues were chronic youth/adult acne(face, chest, back) and hair shedding(could be accutane related, did two rounds of it, made acne worse afterwards).

Fasting resolved acne, but skin still gets oilier then I would like it to be and still dealing with hair shedding. I will probably attempt some long water fast in the future, since I got such good results, might do it yearly.

Also my body composition post fast re-feed and new ability to build dense muscle quickly is a nice bonus as well, seems to have resolved 'hardgainer' issues.

Wagner83

Thanks! Not sure if you saw it, but lucenzo01 is also a former user Accutane and has a thread where he shared his great results.

Last edited: