Cefuroxime | information | Common antibiotic in asian plastic surgery & skin healing

Information on the Cefuroxime antibiotic:

Cefuroxime (spelled Cefuroxim in some countries) is an antibiotic, on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines.

It is commonly prescribed in asian countries by dermatologists, skin care / beauty doctors, plastic surgeons, cosmetic surgeons, etc., after a skin incision. The plastic/cosmetic doctors say it prevents infection of the incision wound, and thereby prevents inflammation & scarring, and thus a better cosmetic result.

This antibiotic Cefuroxime is in a class of medications called cephalosporin antibiotics. When a person is allergic to Penicillin, a cephalosporin is often the suggested alternative. Cefuroxime is a second-generation cephalosporin. Second-generation cephalosporins have enhanced activity against gram-negative bacteria compared with first-generation cephalosporins but still retain some activity against gram-positive bacteria. They are also more resistant to beta-lactamase. Cephalosporins are bactericidal (kill bacteria) and work in a similar way to penicillins. Cefuroxime binds to PBPs (Penicillin Binding Proteins) and block the activity of enzymes responsible for making peptidoglycan, an important component of the bacterial cell wall.

Cefuroxime treats a wide range of infections such as those occurring in the respiratory tract, ear, skin, genitourinary area, and bone.

Internet sources say "To treat gonorrhea, cefuroxime is taken as a single dose, and to treat Lyme disease, cefuroxime is taken every 12 hours for 20 days."
Plastic surgeons tend to prescribe 3 to 10 days, 2x daily, around 500mg per dose.

"Cefuroxime may cause a false-positive reaction for glucose in the urine with copper reduction tests (eg, Benedict's or Fehling's solution), but not with enzyme-based tests."

Regarding pregnancy, this drug crosses the placental barrier into cord blood and amniotic fluid -- however there are no known associations with pregnancy or fertility issues and Cefuroxime is prescribed when a pregnant woman has gonorrhea.

Unlike other second-generation cephalosporins, cefuroxime can cross the blood-brain barrier.

The drug is excreted in urine. The half-life is very short, only ~90 minutes.

I've found information about about Cefuroxime and IL-8, TNF-a, IL-6 (which Doxycycline can reduce, I believe, which is part of it's anti-inflammatory benefit) but the in vitro research literature on Cefuroxim seems to indicate it causes an increase of TNF and IL-8, possibly from disrupting bacterial cell walls which then open and release endotoxin? Or it directly causes cells to produce TNF and interleukins? I'm not sure. A quick search for "Cefuroxime and TNF" will show some studies comparing various antibiotics and while Doxycycline and Azithromycin seem to reduce TNF & interleukins, Cefuroxime seems to increase it. I believe most of those studies are in vitro, and the conclusions might not be meaningful --- because so many beauty/cosmetic doctors trust Cefuroxime to heal wounds with less/no scarring, leads me to think this is a "good" antibiotic with a history of beneficial outcomes.

Anyone have experiences with Cefuroxime, or can share if this "beauty cosmetic antibiotic" has additional usefulness? Or reasons to be cautious?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals