CDC recommends double masks to help protect against COVID-19

Mito

1612995362779.png

CDC recommends double masks to help protect against COVID-19 - CBS News

Perry Staltic

I wonder what percentage of people who wear masks do so because they fear the virus and think a mask protects them.

brocktoon

I wonder what percentage of people who wear masks do so because they fear the virus and think a mask protects them.
And I'm disappointed that there are so many non-experts here who smugly disavow those earnestly doing their best to protect themselves.

Perry Staltic

And I'm disappointed that there are so many non-experts here who smugly disavow those earnestly doing their best to protect themselves.

I'm more interested in what science says than what "experts" say. Many experts have simply risen to their level of incompetence (Peter Principle). There are a dozen or so randomized controlled trials (RCT) - the gold standard of science - that concluded surgical masks do not significantly prevent transmission of influenza virus. The CDC published an article about that in May 2020 (I think that's the right month). A recent Danish RCT concluded the same for sarscov2. There are no RCTs that indicate masks work. So any "expert" that contradicts the best science is not an expert in science.

My question was an honest one, not a smug disavowal of people like you. Depending on where you are, most people wear masks. Is it because they actually fear the virus, or because they fear not conforming to the crowd?

Last edited:

boris

The study from the article:
"A modified simulator with two pliable elastomeric headforms (a source and a receiver) was used to simulate the receiver’s exposure to aerosols produced by the source."
That's people playing with dolls. The actual science done with real people in realistic settings show no significant effect:

CDC | Nonpharmaceutical Measures for Pandemic Influenza in Nonhealthcare Settings—Personal Protective and Environmental Measures
Although mechanistic studies support the potential effect of hand hygiene or face masks, evidence from 14 randomized controlled trials of these measures did not support a substantial effect on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza.

Daily Mail | Face masks turn us into voiceless submissives - and it’s not science forcing us to wear them, it’s politics
Why is this frenzy taking place?
Here is a clue. On July 12, Deborah Cohen, the medical correspondent of BBC2’s Newsnight, revealed an astonishing thing.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) had reversed its advice on face masks, from ‘don’t wear them’ to ‘do wear them’.
But the key fact was that it had not done so because of scientific information – the evidence had not backed the wearing of face coverings – but because of political lobbying.

She revealed on Twitter that: ‘We had been told by various sources [that the] WHO committee reviewing the evidence had not backed masks but they recommended them due to political lobbying.’ She said the BBC had then put this to the WHO, which did not deny it.

Mike Ryan, executive director of the WHO health emergencies programme, had said at a briefing in Geneva:
There is no specific evidence to suggest that the wearing of masks by the mass population has any potential benefit.
‘In fact, there’s some evidence to suggest the opposite in the misuse of wearing a mask properly or fitting it properly.’

England’s chief medical officer, Chris Whitty, had said that wearing face masks would do little to combat the outbreak.

Dr Jenny Harries, a Deputy Chief Medical Officer, warned that people could be putting themselves more at risk from contracting Covid by wearing muzzles. She said masks could ‘actually trap the virus’, and cause the person wearing it to breathe it in. She explained: ‘For the average member of the public walking down a street, it is not a good idea.’

People, please don't layer up any more masks. Take them off and get some fresh air.

Last edited:

Perry Staltic

The World Health Organisation (WHO) had reversed its advice on face masks, from ‘don’t wear them’ to ‘do wear them’.

The directors of the CDC and NIH, and the Surgeon General all did the same thing without any quality data to justify such.

Nemo

They've done randomized control-trial studies on hospital workers wearing N95 masks and they had zero effect on disease transmission rates.

Cloth masks offer virtually no protection, so all you're doing by double masking is continuing to fail to protect yourself, while breeding bacteria and fungi to give yourself pneumonia and funky mouth diseases.

You'd think after a year of this hoax a person hanging around these forums would have found all the studies that consistently show masks don't protect you. And you'd think a person hanging around this site would reject the authoritarian idea of "experts" being experts.

Start with all the studies listed here:

boris

Cloth masks offer virtually no protection, so all you're doing by double masking is continuing to fail to protect yourself, while breeding bacteria and fungi to give yourself pneumonia and funky mouth diseases.

My mother works in a hospital and had to wear those tight sealing masks all day. She got a bacterial infection on her cheek after some weeks, it had to be treated with antibiotics. Now she's allowed to wear a loose fitting mask again. I don't even want to know what this madness is doing to peoples lungs.

B

Blaze

Smugly? I ,for one, actually would really like for you to have that real protection you seek , friend.

I would submit to you the notion that all these people posting here are not smug , cold inhuman , anti-protect yourself and others personality types, they are just asking you consider the possibility that science shows cloth masks offer little or no protection. I am sure most posting here have a heart for people and would be greatly pleased if we could protect ourselves and others.

And--I would never disqualify your opinion as coming from a non-expert the moment our opinions differ. Normal everyday individuals posting here can certainly understand basic scientific principles with a modicum of effort as the well thought out details in their replies often illustrates.

My take on why masks unfortunately don't offer much protection:

A virus is so tiny that it cannot even be seen by the most powerful optical (light based) microscopes. So, if you look at a cloth mask under a optical microscope you will see the threads and the weave and spaces in between, and they look detailed and huge. How is it that that cloth weave can block a virus particle so small it is submicroscopic since it is even smaller than a single photon of light. You need an electron microscope that doesn't depend on light but uses charged particles (electrons) to see in such small detail. People don't understand or appreciate how small a virus really is. Many times it just passes right thru the mask - obviously.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are so irresponsible. Why don’t they require 12 masks? That’s the magic number, magic like 6 feet for social distancing.

Perry Staltic

A study finds that areas with mask mandates have decreased hospitalizations.

Withdrawal
The authors have withdrawn this manuscript because there are increased rates of SARS- CoV-2 cases in the areas that we originally analyzed in this study.

Oops! I guess we got a little ahead of ourselves, did we?

Last edited:
B

Blaze

Exactly.

Another recommendation that I'm not gonna follow!

Wearing a mask to prevent "covid" is already ridiculous, stacking them up to increase protection is just hilarious. There is no proof that there is a pandemic, or that there is a new, super dangerous virus killing people left and right. Now they are talking about different strains and crap like that. They just make things up along the way, and most people just assume it's true because "science".

tankasnowgod

A study finds that areas with mask mandates have decreased hospitalizations.

Published in October, huh?

So, they found that there were fewer hospitalizations over the summer. Then winter came around, and destroyed their little narrative.