Cats have lots of scabs that keep coming back

OP
Perry Staltic

Perry Staltic

FOOD ALLERGY. Vets are clueless. Just because you changed from one commercial food to another does not fix the problem; they are all full of toxic chemicals. With my cats, even so-called "human grade organic" can contain things they are allergic to. I did find canned food that mine are not allergic to (with those same symptoms, "hot spots" that they scratch to the bleeding point) -- but it was difficult.
If at all possible, switch them to raw, but it requires educating yourself on how to get them the proper nutrition, and it is not easy. I tried freeze dried raw and found that they used the same diseased, dead, and dying animals to make that as they do other commercial foods. I got giardia from raw freeze dried cat food TWICE.

Mine cannot eat ANY kind of kibble, and VERY few kinds of canned, and they get some raw mixed in. Canned that so far is not problematic is Weruva, which I get through Chewey. Not all flavors; if you notice, many will contain salmon (but not wild-caught, so it's filthy) or "fish" which is likely tilapia, which is also filthy. It is REALLY hard to get pet food that isn't poisonous, which is why so many of our pets get cancer and other horrid medical problems. We feed them crap.

This is the only likely conclusion I can come to. This started during the lockdown when food producers were allowed to substitute ingredients without changing the labels. I've started to cut back on the amount of kibble they eat, which IMO was a lot. Maybe overeating has something to do with it. I stay away from canned salmon mainly due to radiation concerns from Fukushima pollution of the Pacific, but will give them Atlantic caught fish. And I agree, vets, at least the new school, are clueless. They learn a business model in school to maximize profits.

Melk

We have 3 cats, and one of them is a tabby that gets pretty sensitive skin and gut sometimes. It's happened on and off through the years, sometimes bad enough to get a bit scabby and bloody esp of she's scratching a lot.

There have been a few different triggers, but the things that have helped are:

1. Never using super cheap clay litter (or any other cheap litter). No idea what was on it, but it was giving her a nasty contact reaction. We use the ezilockodor system, which fixed that problem and is just better in every way than regular litter.

2. Eliminate all dry food. She was OK on dry food for quite a few years, but had becoming less tolerant over time and it was recently giving her a bit of colitis/blood and scooting. Cut it out and her bowels and skin are better for it.

3. Outside time and or a grass plant. It's kitty's Carrot salad lol. And obv sun is good.

4. Propur filtered water for drinking. No idea if this makes a difference, but I have it for me and they get it too. Wouldn't recommend one of those continuous fountains either, esp with the pure water they can get pretty overgrown, didn't trust the look of it.

Haven't found any supplements to be helpful. We flea treat them sometimes.

But with the above she went from being scabby most of the time and having a lot of worn away fur on her back from scratching, to perfect coat and skin.

Might help to let your cat put some weight on too. When I was trying to keep her at a 'healthy weight', it was doable, but she was hungry and beggy a lot and was much more anxious and skittish. Now all she does is eat and hug and sleep and chase bugs and love life lol

RealNeat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    609.2 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    599.8 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    576.6 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    649.9 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    652.7 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 16

yerrag

Interesting. I've been giving them a little butter. I may increase that.
I think butter is just the vehicle for the flowers of sulfur to get inside the skin.

OP
Perry Staltic

Perry Staltic

I think butter is just the vehicle for the flowers of sulfur to get inside the skin.

Ah I see.

Scab situation seems to be getting better. I'm cautiously optimistic. I turn off the light at night where they sleep thinking the 24 hour light might be disrupting their sleep pattern. Also have started limiting how much dry kibble they get; just morning and evening feedings rather than full bowl 24/7.

yerrag

Ah I see.

Scab situation seems to be getting better. I'm cautiously optimistic. I turn off the light at night where they sleep thinking the 24 hour light might be disrupting their sleep pattern. Also have started limiting how much dry kibble they get; just morning and evening feedings rather than full bowl 24/7.

It's bad enough that the kibble is dry (as cats don't have to drink water when they eat wet food, as they should). I used to set the broiler to cook the fish I feed them to make the fish well done, then realized that that might be my preference and not theirs, so now I would just broil the fish enough to be cooked but to retain the juice. It would make the food soggy when I mix the fish with grated coconut and a supplement mix I made, but the cats slurped them up and suddenly developed good eating manners, leaving nothing behind.

It's also good not for them to eat all day round. I feed them twice a day. Cats have nothing to do all day and all they think about is what's for food. I fast them once a week and I think it's a good thing. I should get around to doing that as well, and do it together with them.

OP
Perry Staltic

Perry Staltic

I've put both cats on a reduced calorie diet and things seem better. Cautiously optimistic. Maybe they were eating themselves into an inflammatory state. I'm giving them 80% of what they need to maintain their current weights until they get to better weights.

OP
Perry Staltic

Perry Staltic

Update. The above solution seems to have worked. Scabs disappeared from both cats. Except for one of the vets I visited all were worthless. The one exception didn't identify the problem, but did say she was concerned about one cat's weight. I asked how to correct that and she told me. The other two worthless vets didn't mention her weight was a problem or that I should try to reduce her weight.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals