Cats have lots of scabs that keep coming back

Perry Staltic

My 2 cats are having some kind of skin inflammation problem. They both started getting scabs at about the same time. They go away and then come back. One has a large place on her belly that never heals because she keeps licking it.

The vet told me it was due to flea bites, but I can't find a single flea on either of them. All she wants to do is give expensive injections and sell me a flea medicine. I think she's incompetent, and that's just a business model she learned in vet school (recent graduate).

I changed their dry food to grain-free, but that didn't solve the problem. They also get a spoonful of wet food twice a day. Well water changed daily. They go outside, but not much. Sleep most of the day now.

In the 30 years I've had cats I've never seen anything like this. Any ideas what might be causing this and what I can do to stop it?

yerrag

Never experienced scabs on my cats myself. I wonder if applying urea on the scabs would work.

It's my first go to as urea isn't irritating and it cleans up the wound of debris so there's no food left for the microbe to live on and multiply with.

L

Lord Cola

Have you tried giving them some gelatin? Something like chicken feet. That might help their skin become more resilient and heal better. If you're using prepackaged pet food, it might be causing underlying problems you may not be able to solve without replacing it with good quality homemade food.

Regina

Never experienced scabs on my cats myself. I wonder if applying urea on the scabs would work.

It's my first go to as urea isn't irritating and it cleans up the wound of debris so there's no food left for the microbe to live on and multiply with.
Hey yerrag,

In what for do you buy urea? and do you make a salve? thx

yerrag

Hey yerrag,

In what for do you buy urea? and do you make a salve?
It's in crystal form

You can either dilute in water as a 30 to 40 percent solution or apply directly as a solid so you don't have to make a salve. Apply with cotton as a liquid or even apply with a small sprayer. When I needed to apply to the eyes, I use dropper.

Regina

It's in crystal form

You can either dilute in water as a 30 to 40 percent solution or apply directly as a solid so you don't have to make a salve. Apply with cotton as a liquid or even apply with a small sprayer. When I needed to apply to the eyes, I use dropper.
Cool. Thx

yerrag

My 2 cats are having some kind of skin inflammation problem. They both started getting scabs at about the same time. They go away and then come back. One has a large place on her belly that never heals because she keeps licking it.

The vet told me it was due to flea bites, but I can't find a single flea on either of them. All she wants to do is give expensive injections and sell me a flea medicine. I think she's incompetent, and that's just a business model she learned in vet school (recent graduate).

I changed their dry food to grain-free, but that didn't solve the problem. They also get a spoonful of wet food twice a day. Well water changed daily. They go outside, but not much. Sleep most of the day now.

In the 30 years I've had cats I've never seen anything like this. Any ideas what might be causing this and what I can do to stop it?
These scabs may be fungal. I'm reminded of my recurring seborrheic dermatitis, which I believe is fungal. What makes it difficult to get rid of is these fungi come internally, so topical ointments are only cosmetic and don't permanently resolve the issue. So I'm trying to resolve it internally by emf, by sound healing, and by isopathy. My SD is dormant now but it doesn't mean much because I don't know if it's permanently gone as it comes and goes.

But look for other signs of fungi such as in the cat's tongue. They are usually pink which I envy. But if they have fungus, then they will be like most of us with a white tongue.

OP
Perry Staltic

Perry Staltic

But look for other signs of fungi such as in the cat's tongue. They are usually pink which I envy. But if they have fungus, then they will be like most of us with a white tongue.

OK I'll do that. thx

OP
Perry Staltic

Perry Staltic

Looks all pink. Didn't see any white

yerrag

Looks all pink. Didn't see any white
Another sign is plenty of eye boogers, although this just means a lot of waste coming out due to infection being resolved by the immune system.

OP
Perry Staltic

Perry Staltic

Another sign is plenty of eye boogers, although this just means a lot of waste coming out due to infection being resolved by the immune system.

My white cat has always had eye boogers. I have read that white cats are prone to inflammation. The other one doesn't get them that I've noticed, yet she has the more severe scabbing

yerrag

My white cat has always had eye boogers. I have read that white cats are prone to inflammation. The other one doesn't get them that I've noticed, yet she has the more severe scabbing
The boogers have to be more conspicuous than normal to mean something. Otherwise, it is normal. Although lately I seem to have no boogers waking up. I take that to be a good sign I hope.

Check also to see if in the area of the scab the skin does not have a puncture. Sometimes cat nails from fights get embedded under the skin and stay hidden under the fur. I had a cat who I believe died eventually from it. He had paresthesia in that area and it was only much later, after he became paralyzed, that I noticed a wound. The I would then find to my horror that I could pull a long string of debris from that wound. Without much thinking I rushed to the vet and the cat was given antibiotic and his condition further declined and he died. Looking back, I would have a better outcome had I just applied urea by irrigating the wound with it.

Last edited:
OP
Perry Staltic

Perry Staltic

I'm starting to wonder if it's chicken mites. I felt some things on my face after handling a sick chicken today, and looking in the mirror I could see a teeny weeny critter moving. So I definitely have mites. I dusted the cats with diatomaceous earth. Will treat the coop too.

yerrag

I'm starting to wonder if it's chicken mites. I felt some things on my face after handling a sick chicken today, and looking in the mirror I could see a teeny weeny critter moving. So I definitely have mites. I dusted the cats with diatomaceous earth. Will treat the coop too.
DE is very useful. Hope that it works.

Phosphor

FOOD ALLERGY. Vets are clueless. Just because you changed from one commercial food to another does not fix the problem; they are all full of toxic chemicals. With my cats, even so-called "human grade organic" can contain things they are allergic to. I did find canned food that mine are not allergic to (with those same symptoms, "hot spots" that they scratch to the bleeding point) -- but it was difficult.
If at all possible, switch them to raw, but it requires educating yourself on how to get them the proper nutrition, and it is not easy. I tried freeze dried raw and found that they used the same diseased, dead, and dying animals to make that as they do other commercial foods. I got giardia from raw freeze dried cat food TWICE.

Mine cannot eat ANY kind of kibble, and VERY few kinds of canned, and they get some raw mixed in. Canned that so far is not problematic is Weruva, which I get through Chewey. Not all flavors; if you notice, many will contain salmon (but not wild-caught, so it's filthy) or "fish" which is likely tilapia, which is also filthy. It is REALLY hard to get pet food that isn't poisonous, which is why so many of our pets get cancer and other horrid medical problems. We feed them crap.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals