Catechin-Rich Green Tea Extract Reduced Intestinal Inflammation and Fasting Glucose in Metabolic Syndrome and Healthy Adults: A Randomized, Controlled

David PS

Conclusions
Dietary intervention with GTE-rich confections in weight-stable healthy and MetS adults decreased fasting glucose and intestinal inflammation, which was associated with improvements in fasting insulin. This suggests that gut-level anti-inflammatory activities of GTE may improve glycemic control with reductions in intestinal inflammation contributing to enhance insulin sensitivity.

The study lasted for about 1 month and used green tea confections (gummies?). I searched Amazon.com and found several green tea gummies for weight loss. So, consider yourself forwarned that you may loose weight if you decide to incorporated green tea gummies into your life. ;)

Last edited:
i think these 30 day studies are completely worthless. There needs to be several YEARS. It's ridiculous to pay any attention at all to studies like this. n=21 and 19 is absurdly low. Etc.

OP
David PS

David PS

i think these 30 day studies are completely worthless. There needs to be several YEARS. It's ridiculous to pay any attention at all to studies like this. n=21 and 19 is absurdly low. Etc.
Information is neither good nor bad; but thinking makes it so. The short duration of this study speaks to the reliabilty of the results. Longer and larger studies are certainly better. This study is not completely worthless.

Another basis for judging the value of the study is to conduct a benefit vs burden analysis. I modify this type of analysis so that it is potential benefit vs potential burden. In the 1990's, my office coworker introduced me to green tea and I been drinking it ever since. So there is no burden for me. For others, the taste and cost of green tea may be a burden to take into consideration. Afterall, a small short study such as this does not make a compelling case for drinking a tea that one does not enjoy.

I read about another study that suggested it is helpful to drink green tea in the evening after dinner. I do not have access to the full text and I have no idea about the duration of this small study but it was easy for me to incorporate into my life.

green tea is loaded with fluoride and I don't think it's healthy. It depresses thyroid function. Expensive green teas made from the young shoots is better but it all has flouride so I only drink it occasionally now.

OP
David PS

David PS

Effects of fluoride
In general, the level of fluoride in tea is inversely related to the EGCG contents. The more natural EGCG in the tea leaves, the less fluoride. According to Andreas Schuld of the Canadian ‘Parents of Fluoride Poisoned Children’ tea is very high in fluoride content, much higher than the Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL) set for fluoride in drinking water. Decaffeinated teas have an even higher fluoride content as compared to their 240 V. R. Sinija & H. N. Mishra caffeinated counterparts. According to him, fluoride could possibly reduce the anti-cancer properties of tea or even cause cancer, as fluoride is considered a cancer promotor. For instance, he mentions a 1998 study which found positive correlation between colon cancer and tea intake. The high fluoride content could also cause neurological and renal damage, especially in the presence of aluminum. Additionally, the high fluoride content could cause osteoporosis, arthritis and other bone disorders [39].
Green tea: Health benefits

DennisX

green tea is loaded with fluoride and I don't think it's healthy. It depresses thyroid function. Expensive green teas made from the young shoots is better but it all has flouride so I only drink it occasionally now.
That which can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

OP
David PS

David PS

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom