Catatonic Person - How To Help?

kyle

Some background -

female was institutionalized for a couple weeks from severe psychosis from smoking marijuana - possibly laced with synthetic marijuana, the stuff called 'bath salts.'

Was sent home with respirdol and then paliperidone. When discharged with she would waver between periods of angry/schizophrenic like behavior, catatonia, insomnia and sometimes normal behavior over a few weeks.

Eventually refused any kind of pills and became generally uncooperative. After stopping the paliperidone she became extremely catatonic but no longer angry/irritable. Beyond forcibly institutionalizing her, which her family doesn't want to do - providing treatment is very challenging. Doctors recommend a paliperidone shot which can work for a month supposedly and don't seem to want to budge on trying anything else.

Reading on the drug, it has some serious side effects, one of which is insomnia which probably worsened the situation.

I suggested minocycline based on reading some things here and Peat's article, and luckily she started taking just 50mg a day, which I don't know if it is enough but there were some minor improvements.

She is at least baseline functional and can get her own food - beyond that, completely unable to do much else.

Might respond with 1 or 2 words or gestures, sleeps most of the time.

I was thinking topical progesterone might be safe, I don't know what is a good dose range.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Dhair

Some background -

female was institutionalized for a couple weeks from severe psychosis from smoking marijuana - possibly laced with synthetic marijuana, the stuff called 'bath salts.'

Was sent home with respirdol and then paliperidone. When discharged with she would waver between periods of angry/schizophrenic like behavior, catatonia, insomnia and sometimes normal behavior over a few weeks.

Eventually refused any kind of pills and became generally uncooperative. After stopping the paliperidone she became extremely catatonic but no longer angry/irritable. Beyond forcibly institutionalizing her, which her family doesn't want to do - providing treatment is very challenging. Doctors recommend a paliperidone shot which can work for a month supposedly and don't seem to want to budge on trying anything else.

Reading on the drug, it has some serious side effects, one of which is insomnia which probably worsened the situation.

I suggested minocycline based on reading some things here and Peat's article, and luckily she started taking just 50mg a day, which I don't know if it is enough but there were some minor improvements.

She is at least baseline functional and can get her own food - beyond that, completely unable to do much else.

Might respond with 1 or 2 words or gestures, sleeps most of the time.

I was thinking topical progesterone might be safe, I don't know what is a good dose range.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.
How old is she?
Do you have reason to believe that she smoked something other than marijuana?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That or pregnenolone. You could try rubbing it on the tops of her feet. Wilfrid mentioned having good absorption of fat soluble vitamins when rubbed into that area. Most people are open to a nice foot massage.

OP
K

kyle

23 I believe. It could have been laced with something, but they don't know.

lampofred

Maybe niacinamide would help? Peat said it's good (along with progesterone) for virtually any kind of brain injury.