Castor Oil Question

tfcjesse

Hi, new to the forum, just want to say the breadth of information here is great! Might be a bit thick to wade through it for a newcomer to the diet like me, but great nonetheless. I'm very much a beginner and still learning.

I've been taking 1 tbsp of USP grade castor oil daily. Wondering if this is detrimental to the diet (isn't it a PUFA?) If so, is it harmful enough to warrant removing it? How many grams of PUFA would it contribute?

tyw

Castor oil is 85+% Ricinoleic Acid -- Ricinoleic acid - Wikipedia

Single double bond, hence a monounsaturated fatty acid (MUFA). Similar to the oleic acid found in olive oil in terms of peroxidation susceptibility.

Has other specific effects on stuff like the Prostaglandin EP3 receptor, which the mainstream will claim to be "anti-inflammatory", which I read as "slowing down the system" (which is contextually useful, for example, in the case of acute GI infection).

I treat it as a medicine, to be taken in the context of specific acute issues, and not for chronic use. Personally, I have only found it to be useful topically, for certain kinds of topical ailments.

OP
T

tfcjesse

Castor oil is 85+% Ricinoleic Acid -- Ricinoleic acid - Wikipedia

Single double bond, hence a monounsaturated fatty acid (MUFA). Similar to the oleic acid found in olive oil in terms of peroxidation susceptibility.

Has other specific effects on stuff like the Prostaglandin EP3 receptor, which the mainstream will claim to be "anti-inflammatory", which I read as "slowing down the system" (which is contextually useful, for example, in the case of acute GI infection).

I treat it as a medicine, to be taken in the context of specific acute issues, and not for chronic use. Personally, I have only found it to be useful topically, for certain kinds of topical ailments.

Thanks, guessing that means it's not harmful. I'm taking it in hopes of it thickening hair/preventing further loss. Main reason for adopting/learning about the Peat diet, in addition to overall well-being, is for hair health.

hef911

Oral. 2 weeks. Puffy nipples.
did you made other diet changes meanwhile? maybe the gyno is not correlated with the puffy nips. i have taken caster oil orally too for over 2 weeks, didnt notice any changes in my nipples my arm and body hair is thicker tho.

Queequeg

I heard of people using castor oil topically for hair growth. Maybe that is a safer approach. puffy nipples on a guy is not a good look imho

did you made other diet changes meanwhile? maybe the gyno is not correlated with the puffy nips. i have taken caster oil orally too for over 2 weeks, didnt notice any changes in my nipples my arm and body hair is thicker tho.

No I didn't.

Inaut

Peat was asked about castor oil taken a couple times a week as a laxative and he said because it isn’t absorbed, it’s pretty safe to clean the intestines. +1

bookshelf

Peat was asked about castor oil taken a couple times a week as a laxative and he said because it isn’t absorbed, it’s pretty safe to clean the intestines. +1
That's helpful insight. Has anyone ever used them as a detox pack? There are folks that put it on the liver area to help with detoxifying and constipation issues.

Amazoniac

- The absorption and excretion of castor oil in man

- Synthesis of colloids based on gold nanoparticles dispersed in castor oil

1642689170287.png

@Lancaster

bookshelf

I used some organic, non-gmo castor oil on my eyebrows and my eyelids/lashes in the hopes of it helping to thicken and encourage growth. It was a fine idea for a week or so but I then I began to get very itchy and my skin had an adverse reaction to it. This is the second time I've had something like this happen with castor oil (the first was a different spot, topically). Thought I would have remembered but I guess I was hoping for a different outcome. Won't be using it anymore at all anywhere on my body. Unfortunately, mine is a larger bottle, mostly full, that I can't think of a use for so in the garbage it goes.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals