Castor oil for constipation

June

I'm in need of immediate constipation relief and the only thing I have available in my household at the moment that can possibly be used for constipation is the Aura Cacia brand castor oil. Except this is the one I use to apply to my eyelashes. Is this type of castor oil safe to consume?

If not, what am I looking for in an edible oil? Are there any side effects attached to it? Will it upset the stomach? I read somewhere someone said Peat said it was fine since it isn't absorbed by the intestines. I assume castor oil is safe since it was an old school remedy they use to give children. Thanks.

@Inaut
June, I think member Inaut can help you here, he is the only one IIRC that has used Castor oil internally :):

OP
J

June

Can you post their response here if they respond via a DM? Thanks!
Here it is! I hope this reply helps as much as it has helped me. I was on the fence about purchasing the Heritage brand but now I'm glad I did.

"I use the heritage brand. I think the big difference is how the oil is processed. You want hexane free oil :). If you are taking it orally for constipstion I’d stick only with heritage or a pure organic, hexane free brand."

golder

Does anyone know if castor oil is useful topically? A lot of people claim it helps with eyebrow and eyelash growth? That would be great if it actually did?

OP
J

June

Does anyone know if castor oil is useful topically? A lot of people claim it helps with eyebrow and eyelash growth? That would be great if it actually did?
I can vouch for the eyebrow growth. But I wouldn't say it was substantial growth. I applied it every night for several months and little baby hairs started to sprout. I haven't used it in a month due to forgetting and the thickness of eyebrows have remained as such.

golder

I can vouch for the eyebrow growth. But I wouldn't say it was substantial growth. I applied it every night for several months and little baby hairs started to sprout. I haven't used it in a month due to forgetting and the thickness of eyebrows have remained as such.
Great stuff. Thanks. I assume the same could be said for eyelash growth too. I will try this topically. Not sure about orally for the laxative effects, I think larger dose cascara would be safer?