Case study: Supplement-induced Hypercapnia

Chad_Catholic

Here's a situation:

Client (Rob) came off 4 years of keto and daily intermittent fasting/OMAD and has started consuming more sugar by way of fruit, honey, juice, and white sugar. His digestion has slowed to halt, and he has only bowel movement a day. He is eating the daily carrot salad consisting of shredded carrot, coconut oil, and sea salt. He recently suffered an ulcer after consuming too much aspirin, so he suffers irritation in the ileocecal region after eating foods like coffee, milk, and orange juice to name a few. A few weeks ago, he thought that supplementing androsterone, progest-e, and pansterone would help to stimulate his sugar-burning metabolism. He also at this time was taking Oxidal and Taurine and occasionally Pyrucet. He is now suffering from Hypercapnia and describes a crushing feeling in his lungs. He monitors is pulse and temp throughout the day, and he says that there was no change in symptoms even when his heart rate was 85 bpm and temperature is 98.7 degrees F. Usually, his waking temperature is around 97.1, and his temperature mid day is usually only 97.6. He was able to achieve a high body temperature with the help of Oxidal and Pyrucet. Rob quit all supplements for the past three days but is taking Cyproheptadine to lower his anxiety, and he is prescribed Trazodone for his insomnia at night. The hypercapnia is so bad however that the Trazodone hardly helps at all. He is trying the Buteyko breathing, and he says its been therapeutic, but overall his symptoms still persist.

Today, when Rob came home from work, he became very dizzy after walking up the stairs and nearly passed out.

What is wrong with Rob and what should he do?

youngsinatra

Simple sugars require a lot of minerals and vitamins in order to process them correctly.
Magnesium, potassium, copper, zinc to name a few minerals. B-vitamins play a big part too.

Does he eat red meat, shellfish or occasional ruminant liver?

I suggest Irritated intestines. Subject could measure nitric oxide of his breath to determine as CO2 in breath is not that useful as it could indicate many things

tankasnowgod

Here's a situation:

Client (Rob) came off 4 years of keto.....

What is wrong with Rob and what should he do?
When you say "client," are you suggesting that this man is coming to you for health or medical related services?

Also, the last question sounds like you are asking a forum (which you just joined in the last two months) for a diagnosis and/or medical advice. I believe this would be against the forum rules.

The difficulty breathing

That is a very non-specific symptom that can be involved in hundreds of conditions. A quick web search will state that Hypercapnia is diagnosed with arterial blood gas tests, often with other blood tests and a breathing test.

OP
Chad_Catholic

Chad_Catholic

When you say "client," are you suggesting that this man is coming to you for health or medical related services?

Also, the last question sounds like you are asking a forum (which you just joined in the last two months) for a diagnosis and/or medical advice. I believe this would be against the forum rules.

That is a very non-specific symptom that can be involved in hundreds of conditions. A quick web search will state that Hypercapnia is diagnosed with arterial blood gas tests, often with other blood tests and a breathing test.
This is a hypothetical situation that is completely made up but serves an important educational function none the less.

tankasnowgod

This is a hypothetical situation that is completely made up but serves an important educational function none the less.
So, this is a fictional mind teaser, like those "Encyclopedia Brown" books I read as a kid?

Please explain what sort of "important educational function" this serves, especially if it's all made up.

OP
Chad_Catholic

Chad_Catholic

So, this is a fictional mind teaser, like those "Encyclopedia Brown" books I read as a kid?

Please explain what sort of "important educational function" this serves, especially if it's all made up.
Mind teasers aren't just for kids, and if you follow Ray Peat's work then you would know that mental stimulation has a very positive effect on metabolism. This isn't just a mind teaser though since the information shared by the other members on this forum could be very useful to myself and to others.

Mind teasers aren't just for kids, and if you follow Ray Peat's work then you would know that mental stimulation has a very positive effect on metabolism. This isn't just a mind teaser though since the information shared by the other members on this forum could be very useful to myself and to others.
you can never give enough context for these situations, I doubt Ray thinks it would be worth the time because it is too abstract

tankasnowgod

How?

You apparently made up a scenario that doesn't even make sense. You suggest that Buteyko Breathing (which increases CO2 levels in the blood) is beneficial for a condition that is defined as excess CO2 levels in the blood.

I suggest in the future, if you are going to post a mind teaser, you define it as such in the title, and certainly don't call it a "Case Study."

OP
Chad_Catholic

Chad_Catholic

Rob--remember that this is a fictional character that I have created--is also experiencing nerve pain, which is consistent with people suffering from hypercapnia.