Case Of Woman Consuming Excess Bananas Presented With Hyperkalemia And Hyperdopaminemia

Beefcake

Hyperkalemia and hyperdopaminemia induced by an obsessive eating of banana in an anorexia nervosa adolescent. - PubMed - NCBI

Thought it was a funny case to share since bananas are high in both dopamine and potassium. Also know they contain serotonin but dopamine content tends to be 4 fold higher than serotonin. Dont know if this dopamine can cross the blood brain barrier. Does not seem likely but at least the bananas seemed to raise her blood dopamine levels since the normal range is 4,6 - 6,1 and she had 210 ng/ml. Her values returned to normal once she stopped the excess banana consumption. Bananas are also a great source of l-dopa which does cross blood brain barrier so a certain raise in brain dopamine should be noticed in regular high banana consumption.

Vinny

Hyperkalemia and hyperdopaminemia induced by an obsessive eating of banana in an anorexia nervosa adolescent. - PubMed - NCBI

Thought it was a funny case to share since bananas are high in both dopamine and potassium. Also know they contain serotonin but dopamine content tends to be 4 fold higher than serotonin. Dont know if this dopamine can cross the blood brain barrier. Does not seem likely but at least the bananas seemed to raise her blood dopamine levels since the normal range is 4,6 - 6,1 and she had 210 ng/ml. Her values returned to normal once she stopped the excess banana consumption. Bananas are also a great source of l-dopa which does cross blood brain barrier so a certain raise in brain dopamine should be noticed in regular high banana consumption.
I wonder when Freely, the banana girl, will get herself screwed up finally (if she,s not the woman from this case lol)

Ron J

I thought the flesh contained only serotonin and all the dopamine was in the skin.

DavidGardner

Or she already had excess dopamine and that drove her to overeat bananas...

People with very high dopamine, e.g. schizophrenics, methheads, have been known to do strange things. Adolescence also drives people to do strange things.

OP
Beefcake

Beefcake

I thought the flesh contained only serotonin and all the dopamine was in the skin.

Nah theres lots of dopamine and l-dopa in the pulp. Theres more in the peel than in the pulp but its more dopamine than serotonin in the pulp and theres also l-dopa.

”Banana contained dopamine at high levels in both the peel and pulp. Dopamine levels ranged from 80-560 mg per 100 g in peel and 2.5-10 mg in pulp.”

High content of dopamine, a strong antioxidant, in Cavendish banana. - PubMed - NCBI

OP
Beefcake

Beefcake

People with very high dopamine, e.g. schizophrenics, methheads, have been known to do strange things. Adolescence also drives people to do strange things.

100% with you on that but the excess potassium correlation and also both values returning to baseline after stopping it sort of seems that it was a chicken or the egg question? Did the dopamine in the banana raise her levels or where they already raised previous to it? Since studies show high content of dopamine in bananas that can be absorbed in the gut + the fact that bananas also have l-dopa which is used as an medication to raise dopamine it seems likely that the 20 bananas per day did contribute to the dopamine excess. But for sure cant be 100% considering her anorexia. What you said though earlier about dopamine drugs tends to give a person crazy behavior could be a mix of serotonin and noradrenaline release from these drugs. Amphetamines raise both of them and with sustained use it stars to raise noradrenaline excessivly. Serotonin has also been shown to induce psychotic behavior. And specifically serotonin excess could be the cause for anorexia. Cyphroheptadine blocks serotonin and that increases hunger. Serotonin is a stop eating hormone while dopamine is the opposite. Cocaine, amphetamines and most other stimulants release significant amounts of serotonin and this is likely what causes the supressed hunger seen in these drugs.

Serotonin may play a role in the anorexia induced by amphetamine injections into the lateral hypothalamus - ScienceDirect

vulture

Interesting. According to Peat the enormous amount of serotonin in them shall have get her with sky rocket serotonin levels, and also a bunch of related symptoms.
It’s curious. I’m wondering if there’s over concerning with bananas...my colleague eats them daily and looks like the healthiest and strongest among us...also eats seeds daily.

TripleOG

Nah theres lots of dopamine and l-dopa in the pulp. Theres more in the peel than in the pulp but its more dopamine than serotonin in the pulp and theres also l-dopa.

”Banana contained dopamine at high levels in both the peel and pulp. Dopamine levels ranged from 80-560 mg per 100 g in peel and 2.5-10 mg in pulp.”

High content of dopamine, a strong antioxidant, in Cavendish banana. - PubMed - NCBI

Interesting.

The serotonin and dopamine values differ from this study previously discussed on here.

Value is the result obtained on three bananas

Considering the average weight of pulp - 130 g
Avg weight of peel - 60 g

Pulp
Serotonin - 28 mcg/g or 3.7 mg/banana
Norepinephrine - 1.9 mcg/g or 0.25 mg/banana
Dopamine - 7.9 mcg/g or 1 mg/banana

Peel
Serotonin - 65 mcg/g or 3.9 mg/banana
Norepinephrine - 122 mcg/g or 7.3 mg/banana
Dopamine - 700 mcg/g or 42 mg/banana

Serotonin, Norepinephrine, and Related Compounds in Bananas

ShotTrue

Interesting. According to Peat the enormous amount of serotonin in them shall have get her with sky rocket serotonin levels, and also a bunch of related symptoms.
It’s curious. I’m wondering if there’s over concerning with bananas...my colleague eats them daily and looks like the healthiest and strongest among us...also eats seeds daily.
Never seen anyone complain from eating bananas. It's the number one consumed fruit in America.

vulture

Never seen anyone complain from eating bananas. It's the number one consumed fruit in America.
I find it hard to get potassium if you don’t eat spinach or bananas.
I think I’ll start eating them again. Only thing I agree with Peat is that is hard to find a ripe enough banana because they cut it green to avoid loosing it in the way to the markets. Obviously if you had a plant near you could wait until they are really ripe, but that’s idealistic living in cities.

InChristAlone

I have been eating at least one banana a day for 2.5 yrs now. They are a great source of nutrients and I don't feel right without them not really a dependency but I do need the potassium since I dont at vegetables or drink milk. Didn't know they contain dopamine! I started on them after quitting caffeine so I guess that was helping me!

ShotTrue

I find it hard to get potassium if you don’t eat spinach or bananas.
I think I’ll start eating them again. Only thing I agree with Peat is that is hard to find a ripe enough banana because they cut it green to avoid loosing it in the way to the markets. Obviously if you had a plant near you could wait until they are really ripe, but that’s idealistic living in cities.
Oh, wasn’t something I was aware of (pre ripe harvest). At least organic bananas are only 10¢ more at the market

nomoreketones

So, are bananas good for bad for sex drive? You would think the bump in serotonin would lower sex drive and the bump in dopamine would increase sex drive. Maybe they cancel each other out?

OP
Beefcake

Beefcake

So, are bananas good for bad for sex drive? You would think the bump in serotonin would lower sex drive and the bump in dopamine would increase sex drive. Maybe they cancel each other out?

I don’t think these neurotransmitters in the bananas affect your brain enough anyway to cause any effects.

ShotTrue

Probably good considering how horny Americans are

ebs

Interesting. I've always felt good eating bananas. It's one of the fruits that doesn't give me cold hands. Actually it's the non-Peat approved fruits such as bananas and kiwis that I respond well too. I liked oranges with a copious amount of salt too but it seems to contribute to constipation.

sladerunner69

I disagree. What article are you citing in regards to schizophrenics having very high dopamine? I've only come across the opposite, in fact.

I fully expect that methheads would have low dopamine as well, from consistent abuse to the endogenous dopamergenic system.

DavidGardner

I disagree. What article are you citing in regards to schizophrenics having very high dopamine? I've only come across the opposite, in fact.

I fully expect that methheads would have low dopamine as well, from consistent abuse to the endogenous dopamergenic system.

Dude, I’m not citing “an” article. The role of dopamine in schizophrenia has been studied since the sixties. There is a comprehensive discussion in this article: The Role of Dopamine in Schizophrenia from a Neurobiological and Evolutionary Perspective: Old Fashioned, but Still in Vogue

Methamphetamine increases dopamine release and inhibits its reuptake. I refuse to even take the time to cite a source. You can find this information easily. Anybody on meth currently is walking around with insanely spiked dopamine. Like you could never even dream of. But don’t try it at home.

My post was a little bit tongue-in-cheek. If you knew me personally, you would understand that much of what I say is half-serious and half-joking in order to provoke thought.