Cascara Sagrada [dosage, How To Use Powder]

iLoveSugar

I bought the powder Cascara to give it a shot. How would one go about taking it? Just eat the powder? Mix it with food? drinks?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: Cascara

Taking the least dose possible while getting the results you want seems to be optimal. I mix mine with water and then chase it with something because cascara is strong tasting.

Cow patty club in da house! :mrgreen:

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Re: Cascara

4peatssake said:
jag2594 said:
quality is important, did you get the one from Italy ?
I don't of anyone who can source the cascara from Italy. Do you get it from there or know how to?

I use the bark and make tea - ordered it from Amazon online from the supplement recommendations on the forum - and it works very well. But if the stuff from Italy can be sourced that would be great.

Could you please elaborate how you make it? With what tea? How much, etc?

Velve921

Cascara Sagrada [Dosage]

What is the proper way to consume cascara sagrada? Mix with drink? Spoonful? How much? What time of day?

...it is for constipation.

[Moderator edit: topics merged]

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Re: Cascara Sagrada

1/2 tsp. of pure cascara sagrada powder is approximately 1000 milligrams according to the healthnatura website. I believe the dose required to relieve constipation will vary from person to person. I occasionally use 1/8 tsp but used a higher dose in the beginning. I've read on the forum that some people prefer mix it with water. I've only tried it dry and chased with a couple sips of water. I like to have it before bed but occasionally I've taken it during the day. There are probably many subtle variations in how individuals use cascara sagrada.

4peatssake

This is what I do but I use aged bark to make a decoction. My understanding is a decoction is the most effective way to take it and less bitter. Even so, I find the tea quite bitter so I chase it with lots of honey. ;)

Cover 1-2 teaspoons of the dried bark with 1 cup of water. Bring to the boil, and allow to infuse for ten minutes. This decoction should prove to be an efficient laxative.
aquaman creates a similar decoction using powder.

http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4370

tara

I open one capsule, tip powder into pot, Bring to brief boil, let it stand for a few minutes, pour into cup, drink. I do not find it bitter. Maybe I would if it were stronger.
I only use it intermittently. Possibly I could use more/more often.

4peatssake

Oh yes, I only use when needed. If I took that decoction when things were moving well, I'd be, uhm, peeing from you know where! :rolling

natedawggh

Ewlevy1 said:
What is the proper way to consume cascara sagrada? Mix with drink? Spoonful? How much? What time of day?

4peatssake said:
Oh yes, I only use when needed. If I took that decoction when things were moving well, I'd be, uhm, peeing from you know where! :rolling

I think it should NOT be taken like this, like Pepto Bismol, where you only take it intermittently when symptoms present. It should be used consistently for a period of time to really work well. At first it makes things runny, but then after consistent use bowel moments become normal and easy, and stop being watery. If you only take it intermittently it always produces a watery effect.

I take mine once in the morning and once at night, and building up to a bigger dose from a smaller one is also wise, and after a while of being better you can taper down again.

4peatssake

natedawggh said:
Ewlevy1 said:

4peatssake said:

I think it should NOT be taken like this, like Pepto Bismol, where you only take it intermittently when symptoms present. It should be used consistently for a period of time to really work well. At first it makes things runny, but then after consistent use bowel moments become normal and easy, and stop being watery. If you only take it intermittently it always produces a watery effect.

I take mine once in the morning and once at night, and building up to a bigger dose from a smaller one is also wise, and after a while of being better you can taper down again.
Why would you supplement something if there were not a need? :confused

natedawggh said:
I think it should NOT be taken like this, like Pepto Bismol, where you only take it intermittently when symptoms present.It should be used consistently for a period of time to really work well.

I'd be interested in the source(s) from which you take this point of view? Thanks.

To be clear, from my personal experience cascara does not produce a watery effect unless there is not an need to take it. I am grateful for it but much prefer when I don't rely upon it to induce peristalsis.

Meantime, I am currently taking pau d'arco tea (not for constipation) but as haidut has suggested elsewhere I experience it having a very positive effect on bowel function. I would suggest this tea/herb over cascara as something to use on a more consistent basis.

natedawggh

4peatssake said:

If you have constipation it is more likely that something is chronically inadequate in the function of your intestinal system, and cascara helps to restore and repair at least partly whatever is going wrong, as long as your diet is also improved. I would compare it to taking aspirin to aid health even when you don't have a headache.

jyb

4peatssake said:
To be clear, from my personal experience cascara does not produce a watery effect unless there is not an need to take it. I am grateful for it but much prefer when I don't rely upon it to induce peristalsis.

In small quantity it can be viewed as a vitamin, basically a nutrient. Not a drug. That's the claim of Peat's cascara article. I mean its like coffee or food in general. Coffee definitely helps you induce bowel movement, should you stop taking it?

There's stuff that a bit borderline, you have to make your own decision on whether its okay to take long term or not. Hormones, cascara, anti-serotonin drugs etc. Some of these could have some long term dependence or side effects slowly building up. Sometimes Peat gives a warning (sometimes ignored by readers), sometimes its up to you to risk it because no one knows...

In the case of cascara, if taken in small quantities its not an obvious laxative, and the some people on this forum tried it long term without reporting dependence. I personally would risk it if I kept seeing benefit of every day use.

4peatssake

jyb said:
4peatssake said:

In small quantity it can be viewed as a vitamin, basically a nutrient. Not a drug. That's the claim of Peat's cascara article. I mean its like coffee or food in general. Coffee definitely helps you induce bowel movement, should you stop taking it?

There's stuff that a bit borderline, you have to make your own decision on whether its okay to take long term or not. Hormones, cascara, anti-serotonin drugs etc. Some of these could have some long term dependence or side effects slowly building up. Sometimes Peat gives a warning (sometimes ignored by readers), sometimes its up to you to risk it because no one knows...

In the case of cascara, if taken in small quantities its not an obvious laxative, and the some people on this forum tried it long term without reporting dependence. I personally would risk it if I kept seeing benefit of every day use.
Well the OP asked about its use for constipation and I responded to that with what works for me.
Taking it as a decoction in the amount I posted was specific for constipation and I would not recommend that amount for daily use.

That particular decoction works well when needing to get things moving, provided you tolerate cascara. I see no harm in using cascara intermittently or for an acute case of constipation and I've not heard Peat recommend against intermittent use either. But if he has or there exists other evidence to the contrary I'd be interested in seeing that.

As for using it for other purposes, that's beyond the scope of the thread.

My own preference at present for long term use is pau d'arco, which is a naphthoquine and also happens to have laxative effects. It depends on what you wish to achieve and what you are using a supplement for. Peat is clear that he prefer food over supplementation, so I question why someone would take a supplement without their being a specific need. I've experienced more immediate and beneficial results for what I am trying to achieve with pau d'arco, and yes, we each get to make our own individual choices and weight the pros and cons.

Haidut started a thread back in June discussing pau d'arco as an alternative to cascara. In my experience, it has a much milder laxative and is producing better results.

A Possible Alternative to Cascara

tara

natedawggh said:
After reading this, for the last month I've been brewing a cup from a single capsule, and having a slurp of it 2-3 times a day, to drink the whole cup over 2-3 days. I'm liking the effect - keeps things soft and fequent. The problem with waiting till I know I need it is the time lag from realising there is an issue, to gettin it moving. Using a little daily prevents this problem.

Gigs

I'd be interested in the source(s) from which you take this point of view? Thanks.

Meantime, I am currently taking pau d'arco tea (not for constipation) but as haidut has suggested elsewhere I experience it having a very positive effect on bowel function. I would suggest this tea/herb over cascara as something to use on a more consistent basis.

I found this very interesting in researching Cascara...
Emodin has an opposing effect, increasing the metabolic rate. It increases mitochondrial oxygen consumption and ATP synthesis, while decreasing oxidative damage. (Du and Ko, 2005, 2006; Huang, et al., 1995). -Ray Peat, PhD