Carvacrol (Oregano Oil) Seems Pretty Good Stuff From Peaty Pov

Dobbler

Many of us know oregano oil for its antibacterial properties against bacterial overgrowth but with quick search on google and pubmed show it has quite a few other Peaty qualities.

Lowers nitric oxide:
Carvacrol ameliorates inflammatory response in interleukin 1β-stimulated human chondrocytes - PubMed

Lowers Malondialdehyde (MDA)
Supplemental carvacrol can reduce the severity of inflammation by influencing the production of mediators of inflammation - PubMed

Lowers prostaglandins, and both COX-1 and COX-2
Europe PMC

Lowers inflammatory mediators including TLR4
Carvacrol suppresses inflammatory responses in rheumatoid arthritis fibroblast-like synoviocytes - PubMed

Some other things i have read: Inhibits iron absorption, lowers lipid peroxidation.

Im not sure if its MAO inhibitor or does it actually lower serotonin?
(Carvacrol: From Ancient Flavoring to Neuromodulatory Agent) maybe someone smarter than me can translate that.

If you guys have experiences with Oregano oil or other information, please let me know.

Many of us know oregano oil for its antibacterial properties against bacterial overgrowth but with quick search on google and pubmed show it has quite a few other Peaty qualities.

Lowers nitric oxide:
Carvacrol ameliorates inflammatory response in interleukin 1β-stimulated human chondrocytes - PubMed

Lowers Malondialdehyde (MDA)
Supplemental carvacrol can reduce the severity of inflammation by influencing the production of mediators of inflammation - PubMed

Lowers prostaglandins, and both COX-1 and COX-2
Europe PMC

Lowers inflammatory mediators including TLR4
Carvacrol suppresses inflammatory responses in rheumatoid arthritis fibroblast-like synoviocytes - PubMed

Some other things i have read: Inhibits iron absorption, lowers lipid peroxidation.

Im not sure if its MAO inhibitor or does it actually lower serotonin?
(Carvacrol: From Ancient Flavoring to Neuromodulatory Agent) maybe someone smarter than me can translate that.

If you guys have experiences with Oregano oil or other information, please let me know.
Oregano has healed me from several infections. Flu, sinus infections etc. it’s great stuff!

Dave Clark

Hello @dabdabdab

Ive just tried this and it has stopped my shedding completely. How did the opposite happen for you?
Been using oil of oregano for 30 years, and I have a full head of hair in my 60s. I know many people who use it and have a good head of hair. Must be an isolated incident.

dabdabdab

Been using oil of oregano for 30 years, and I have a full head of hair in my 60s. I know many people who use it and have a good head of hair. Must be an isolated incident.
that's good news since I was very sad for increased shedding and thought it was permanent, in mouse study it caused permanent hair loss and baldness.
I hope I can regrow my hair again to its full potential

Dave Clark

that's good news since I was very sad for increased shedding and thought it was permanent, in mouse study it caused permanent hair loss and baldness.
Never heard of that study, but sometimes you have to look at the dosages that were given, and often times they are far more than what people would use even therapeutically. Hopefully, you are not experiencing that, and make sure you are not over doing it.

revenant

I use it when I notice that my tongue is not clear and/or I have SIBO symptoms. It used to give me pretty bad Herxheimer reactions when I took it at night (though I would feel better in the morning) but these days not so much. I think it's helped quite a bit, better digestion etc.

AncestralJoy

I use it when I notice that my tongue is not clear and/or I have SIBO symptoms. It used to give me pretty bad Herxheimer reactions when I took it at night (though I would feel better in the morning) but these days not so much. I think it's helped quite a bit, better digestion etc.
interesting! I'm curious to try with my milk as i get a white tongue and furry teeth from warm sugary milk.
how much do you use? I've tried two drops onto half a teaspoon of coconut oil but I've only done it once today so not sure on whether that would have been enough.
do you mind expanding on how you used it?

do you know if it was internal or external? I could imagine shedding severely if i ever had to put on my skin even with carrier oil. burns my skin just to accidentally get a drop on.
How long were you using before you noticed the hairloss? has it grown back at all?

Ras

How much do you take daily, and of which brand?

Dave Clark

How much do you take daily, and of which brand?
I do not take it daily. Oregano oil is strong, and might not be good for the microbiome, to use daily, unless of course you are dealing with a microbial issue. But, maybe once or twice/week in modest doses {a few drops} should help keep pathogenic microbes down in your system. I also use it to add to a pasta sauce or some other foods that would be enhanced by a stronger taste of oregano.

FitnessMike

I do not take it daily. Oregano oil is strong, and might not be good for the microbiome, to use daily, unless of course you are dealing with a microbial issue. But, maybe once or twice/week in modest doses {a few drops} should help keep pathogenic microbes down in your system. I also use it to add to a pasta sauce or some other foods that would be enhanced by a stronger taste of oregano.
you were using it for 30 years mainly for its gut sterilizing benefits?

i wonder how safe is it long term?

Dave Clark

you were using it for 30 years mainly for its gut sterilizing benefits?

i wonder how safe is it long term?
Not for gut sterilizing effects. I don't particularly agree with that concept. Sterilizing the gut is a fantasy to me, something is going to predominate, good or bad bacteria. Like a garden, you either plant good things, i.e. flowers, vegetables, fruit, etc., or weeds will grow and take over. Same with the gut, populate it with good bacteria, or bad bacteria will take over. Bacteria is ubiquitous, even found in space on meteorites, etc., so to think that you can keep the colon free of bacteria is a pipe dream. You might do it temporarily, but eventually something starts to grow, so it had better be good probiotics, otherwise you will have a sick colon. If you don't have a leaky gut, endotoxins are compartmentalized there and excreted, there is no getting around endotoxins, all bacteria produce them. You can do things to quench them or reduce their production though.
I used/use the oregano oil so that some of it gets in systemically and controls any microbes. I use it sublingually as well as in food occasionally. Many other herbs like thyme, rosemary, etc. do the same thing. If someone is trying to slam a microbe and are taking large doses, they need to take a break, so they don't sterilize the gut. That's just my take on it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom