Carton Package Better Choice Than Plastic Containers?

Hgreen56

So milk comes in 2 different packages
plastic containers.
id40955.jpg

carton package
images

i know that plastic containers are estrogenic but not sure if carton package is a better alternative..

So you need to choose between these two. (there are no other options)
whats best healthy choice?

shine

I prefer the cartons. The milk has some protection from the bright lights in supermarkets. The cartons are lined with a very thin plastic layer.
Cistanche can protect your testicles from BPA induced damage.

Ableton

serious question, does anyone avoid plastics (including tetra pak) completely?

I suspect almost no one here gets there OJ and milk in glass bottles?

I can have that in theory, but hardly afford it long term.

JohnA

Reviving this thread as I was going to ask the same question.

It looks as if clear plastic bottles are generally polycarbonate (the plastic which is more likely to include BPA or similar compounds). On the other hand, juice cartons are mainly cardboard but lined with waterproof plastic, typically polyethylene. I don't have much research to back me up, but I've switched to cartons hoping that a polyethylene lining is less harmful than a fully polycarbonate bottle.

Has anyone seen research on this topic?

Source: Learn How to Tell If Plastic Is BPA-Free

Tomb.

I too have been thinking about this recently as I drink 2-3 liters of milk per day and if Xenoestrogens are leeching into the milk I could potentially be getting quite a lot per day.

I have switched to Tetra Pak milk because as I understand it Tetra Pak is far safer than HDPE plastic cartons.

Theoretically the cold storage and short shelf life of fresh milk should limit the exposure but it's something to consider I guess given how much exposure there could be consuming a large quantity of milk.

Judd Crane

Reviving this thread as I was going to ask the same question.

It looks as if clear plastic bottles are generally polycarbonate (the plastic which is more likely to include BPA or similar compounds). On the other hand, juice cartons are mainly cardboard but lined with waterproof plastic, typically polyethylene. I don't have much research to back me up, but I've switched to cartons hoping that a polyethylene lining is less harmful than a fully polycarbonate bottle.

Has anyone seen research on this topic?

Source: Learn How to Tell If Plastic Is BPA-Free

JohnA

Thanks. Looks like we are all screwed.

Again, higher contamination compared to samples from glass bottles (see Fig. 3 a, p < 0.001) could be attributed to the migration of EDCs from the inner lining of the Tetra Pak packaging, which consists of a polyethylene plastic film.

JohnA

I may be overthinking this, but the above research makes me worry that drinking 24 ounces of fruit juice out of Tetra Pak packaging daily is probably increasing my exposure to phytoestrogens meaningfully. I'm going to try replacing the fruit juice in the smoothies that I drink with water from my Berkey filter and more actual fruits. I will report back if I notice anything.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals