Carrot salad giving me issues

PeterSN

So I've done some extensive testing to see what is causing alot of my bloating and autoimmune issues, am fairly certain it is the carrot salad, but it does have other benefits for me though, improvement in mood and overall reducing other symptoms related to stress. I'm wondering if there is a logical explanation behind this?

OliviaD

So I've done some extensive testing to see what is causing alot of my bloating and autoimmune issues, am fairly certain it is the carrot salad, but it does have other benefits for me though, improvement in mood and overall reducing other symptoms related to stress. I'm wondering if there is a logical explanation behind this?
I'm not sure what your autoimmune issues are, but I do not tolerate the carrot salad at all - it is too much fiber for me (which will cause bloating). I literally clogs up my system. Do you know if you have trouble with fiber? Does the carrot salad move through you at what is a normal rate for you?

OP
PeterSN

PeterSN

I'm not sure what your autoimmune issues are, but I do not tolerate the carrot salad at all - it is too much fiber for me (which will cause bloating). I literally clogs up my system. Do you know if you have trouble with fiber? Does the carrot salad move through you at what is a normal rate for you?
Well at the beginning the carrot salad really constipated me, like completely, for around a month or so, everyone around was like, cut out the carrot salad, 'you're crazy for eating it everyday when it's constipating you' but I continued, and to my surprise it actually apes up my bowel movements, by alot, one, two, three bowel movements a day. But my autoimmune issues still seem to be here, I do have a candida overgrowth that I got diagnosed from the doctor, and my theory is that maybe it's the candida dying and releasing histamine, which is causing these autoimmune conditions? Idk

OP
PeterSN

PeterSN

Well at the beginning the carrot salad really constipated me, like completely, for around a month or so, everyone around was like, cut out the carrot salad, 'you're crazy for eating it everyday when it's constipating you' but I continued, and to my surprise it actually apes up my bowel movements, by alot, one, two, three bowel movements a day. But my autoimmune issues still seem to be here, I do have a candida overgrowth that I got diagnosed from the doctor, and my theory is that maybe it's the candida dying and releasing histamine, which is causing these autoimmune conditions? Idk
Oh and about the bloating, yes I get really bloated after the carrot salad, as soon as eat or drink milk or any kind of sugar source, I bloat really easily, I'm currently trying out betaine HCl with pepsin and seeing if that helps me out

OliviaD

Wow - that is fascinating! So - you are having good bowel movements, but still have bloating - do I have that correct? Oh - I doubt I will be of any help, but I find understanding other's problems interesting and a great way to learn. I saw that no one replied to you - so thought I'd at least give you some business :) .

Bloating sure is an awful symptom, so I can sympathize. Where is the yeast overgrowth - in your intestine? How did the doctor diagnose it?

Well, it's a potential theory, does histamine cause bloating?

OliviaD

Oh and about the bloating, yes I get really bloated after the carrot salad, as soon as eat or drink milk or any kind of sugar source, I bloat really easily, I'm currently trying out betaine HCl with pepsin and seeing if that helps me out
Hmm. Well keep us posted. Doesn't seem like it would help much as pepsin digests protein, but maybe the betaine HCl helps the stomach pH so it all just works better?

It is interesting that you bloat with such different things, but think I pretty much bloat with putting anything into my GI tract. I have no solutions, but can empathize :)

OP
PeterSN

PeterSN

Hmm. Well keep us posted. Doesn't seem like it would help much as pepsin digests protein, but maybe the betaine HCl helps the stomach pH so it all just works better?

It is interesting that you bloat with such different things, but think I pretty much bloat with putting anything into my GI tract. I have no solutions, but can empathize :)
Yeah the bloating could be a result of the carrot fibers also slightly fermenting in the gut, i have heard other people talk about that, I have also heard that increasing stomach acid with bet hcl could also increase digestive enzyme production? Which could maybe help me break down my food, as maybe I'm lacking in fruktokinase, lactase, etc..?

I've also noticed joint pains after the carrot salad, which further leads me to believe there is some kind of underlying inflammation going with whenever I eat the carrot salad, from what, I have no idea yet.

OliviaD

Yeah the bloating could be a result of the carrot fibers also slightly fermenting in the gut, i have heard other people talk about that, I have also heard that increasing stomach acid with bet hcl could also increase digestive enzyme production? Which could maybe help me break down my food, as maybe I'm lacking in fruktokinase, lactase, etc..?

I've also noticed joint pains after the carrot salad, which further leads me to believe there is some kind of underlying inflammation going with whenever I eat the carrot salad, from what, I have no idea yet.
Yes, I read a thread where someone presenting some studies showing that the carrots can ferment in the intestines - leading to increase in bacterial activity, etc. I suspect this may be the case for some people (like me) and maybe not for some. I did give it a go for about 2-3 weeks, not always every day. I don't know if I want to try to stick it out longer as it causes me significant pain, and I'm not optimistic in my case :) I actually am trying a cooked version, well, basically cooked carrots instead of raw. I got some advice from someone from Poland who recommended that.. mashed up with butter. He said docs there recommend this for ppl with gut issues. Might work better for me.

I am giving you a link to an article with a good general summary of the digestive enzymes.

As you see, almost all of them are released in the small intestine. The enzymes in the stomach will break things down a bit, mainly the protein, so perhaps this will help some, but of the work is done in the SI , and I'm not sure how much betaine HCL will do anything for the release of the enzymes, bile, etc in the SI. It can't hurt to try. Fructokinase mainly works in the liver, although there is some in the intestinal mucosa; so I'm sure the betaine will have no effect on that, as it is not even working until the fructose is transported to the liver.

It also seems that lacking in fructokinase is what they call a 'benign' problem, because the fructose can be phosphorylated by another enzyme called hexokinase. Here is a little info about this:

I'm not a big fan of trying to supplement the digestive enzymes.. BUT that is just my bias, a lot of people do it, and feel it helps. I am certainly no expert, so don't listen to me. At least you are taking something that is supposed to work in the stomach, so it makes sense. (what I think is foolish is taking the intestinal enzymes orally, where they are broken down before they get to where they work, and you'd have to time it with the food.. I don't see how that could work). And, sometimes thinks that make no sense help.

That makes sense with the carrot salad. I'd agree with you the mechanism for that would likely be endotoxins produced by the bacteria doing the fermenting. So - it seems given all this, that the carrot salad might not be a good think for you now. It seems like your body is trying to tell you it doesn't like it :) I'd always go with your body.. no matter what anyone else says.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals