Carrot salad before bed

L

Lord Cola

I think I read many posts saying that one shouldn't eat carrot salad before bed, or eat carrot salad after 3pm, or eat carrot salad after sunset, and so on, and that Ray Peat himself recommended these things. Has Ray Peat warned against eating carrot salad at night, other than with regard to blood sugar, which can be taken care of by preceding the salad with an adequate meal a few hours beforehand? I haven't come across such quotes or interviews.

It seems to make sense to eat carrot salad as the last thing before going to bed, as long as one doesn't eat it right before bed, to help the gut be as clean as it can be during sleep, so that the gut may repair overnight with minimal irritants. Personally I have done this the past couple of nights, and tonight is the first night in months I didn't experience chronic neck pain.

What are your thoughts on the potential dangers of eating carrot salad as the last thing before bed? Have you noticed changes in health depending on how you time your carrot salad, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, etc?

mrchibbs

The carrot salad is itself a slight irritant, and it stimulates the intestine which in my opinion you don't want to do during the night.

Generally, people feel better when they don't eat fibrous/hard to digest foods a few hours before bed. Sleep is most restorative when the digestive system is calm during the night, which allows energy/blood to be diverted to other restorative processes.

But try it, everybody is different. If eating a carrot salad before bed makes you feel good, then it's all good.

OP
L

Lord Cola

The carrot salad is itself a slight irritant, and it stimulates the intestine which in my opinion you don't want to do during the night.

Generally, people feel better when they don't eat fibrous/hard to digest foods a few hours before bed. Sleep is most restorative when the digestive system is calm during the night, which allows energy/blood to be diverted to other restorative processes.

But try it, everybody is different. If eating a carrot salad before bed makes you feel good, then it's all good.
I tried eating the salad at night a few more times after making this thread. I don't know about it causing a little irritation, as my gut is usually too irritated for me to tell the difference; it seems to be soothing sometimes.

I found that it lowers blood sugar too much, even when I preceded it with a meal a few hours beforehand, and I tended to become irritable upon waking up. So I am back to eating it between meals in the afternoon.

Razvan

If i eat raw carrots or white button mushrooms 1 hour before bed i wake up very euphoric.

mrchibbs

If i eat raw carrots or white button mushrooms 1 hour before bed i wake up very euphoric.

I've experienced that a few times with well timed anti-bacterial foods or supplements. Very clear-headed feeling.

But it's tricky for sure. A mushroom soup can do the job, but I've never had success with carrot salad before bed.

I guess this is what Ray talksa bout when he took camphoric acid and woke up with a perfectly pink tongue.

It's a great feeling, not having this white tongue, along with energy and a clear head.

supercoolguy

I think I read many posts saying that one shouldn't eat carrot salad before bed, or eat carrot salad after 3pm, or eat carrot salad after sunset, and so on, and that Ray Peat himself recommended these things. Has Ray Peat warned against eating carrot salad at night, other than with regard to blood sugar, which can be taken care of by preceding the salad with an adequate meal a few hours beforehand? I haven't come across such quotes or interviews.

It seems to make sense to eat carrot salad as the last thing before going to bed, as long as one doesn't eat it right before bed, to help the gut be as clean as it can be during sleep, so that the gut may repair overnight with minimal irritants. Personally I have done this the past couple of nights, and tonight is the first night in months I didn't experience chronic neck pain.

What are your thoughts on the potential dangers of eating carrot salad as the last thing before bed? Have you noticed changes in health depending on how you time your carrot salad, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, etc?
Just go for it. I try to keep Anything solid ive eaten upright at least 30-60min before laying down. Mid-day between meals is great too. Call me crazy BUT ive even done BOTH in one day. Just make a huge batch 5-8day supply marinading with some ACV in the fridge, so its ready and you can toy around with the timing. Then add your tsp. EVO or Warm Coconut oil. I sprinkle a cap of ginger or Crush/Chop Fresh Garlic (Turbo Chargers). Remember the Salt.

Dawid

I eat carrot salad half an hour before sleep and this way of eating it cured me of insomnia. I had problem with falling asleep and waking up every hour. Now I fall asleep after 10 minutes and maybe wake up once but fall asleep quickly

I like to eat a carrot salad before bed myself. Fills me up and leave me less hungry in the morning.