Carrot — Does It Have to Be a Salad??

Birdie

The carotene (beta-carotene) in raw carrots is much less bioavailable than the carotene in cooked carrots. So carotene is less of a concern when eaten in a raw salad.

In addition, the raw fibers in a carrot are not very digestible. My recollection is that the purpose of eating raw carrots is to sweep some of the estrogen out of your body.

edit - I am not certain if the fiber in cooked carrots operate in the same way in your body. I just try to follow what Ray Peat suggests.
That's my attitude too. Often when he gives the reasons and a bunch of studies, I get it. Later, I just remember that he suggested something.

I did soak and rinse my carrot slices especially at first. I did the test (I think Ray recommended it) of eating carrots and watching for the orange to show up on my palms. It did show up.That showed I'm not good with beta carotene. So, I don't eat cooked carrots much. And I do rinse my raw carrot salad.

I'm sure Ray said the carrot salad sweeps the intestine. It's a good thought !!

Birdie

Well when you chew the shredded carrot and swollow, it will have the same surface area in your stomach and intestine as chewing the whole carrot and swollowing
Yes, but the vinegar, olive oil and salt are antiseptic. It's a recipe. But eating a raw carrot alone is better than nothing. And good when you're in a hurry or if you just decide that's it for you.
I have to rinse it first or rinse the slices because I don't do well with the beta carotene. Rinsing gets rid of some of it, according to Ray.

rayfan1

@Perry Staltic

That's true it's not inherently bad, but in susceptible people it is thyroid suppressive. I don't think a carrot will do it though. A glass of carrot juice, for sure.

@marko9437

Part of the intestinal benefits of the carrot salad is also as a delivery system for coconut oil/olive oil/vinegar/salt which are all antiseptic.
I have Hashimotos and worried that the carrot’s carotene might inhibit thyroid. Is there any truth to this?

mrchibbs

I have Hashimotos and worried that the carrot’s carotene might inhibit thyroid. Is there any truth to this?

Beta carotene in large amounts can have a thyroid suppressive, but it only has significant effects in large amounts say with carrot juice.

One raw carrot is not going to have a negative effect. You can find yellow or purple carrots if you're worried about carotene, but it's a non-issue.

If you take thyroid supplements, it's even less of a concern.

CaptJim

Just a thought- if carotene is the problem .why not juice it, dump the juice and eat the remaining fiber/pulp?
Much more surface area than shredding (saves my hand too) and much less carotene.

CaptJim

years ago, I met a Russian lady who along with her family, would eat about 3 shredded carrots and chase it down with a glass of warm salt water.
It was how they got rid of toxins and parasites. She said that you would go to the bathroom within an hour and be cleaned out. They would do this once or twice per year.
Never tried it myself, but if it worked, then it has to be the salt water process that gave them the very quick bowel movement.
Perhaps it is a mineral/water issue that causes some to get constipated from shredded carrot.

Ben.

years ago, I met a Russian lady who along with her family, would eat about 3 shredded carrots and chase it down with a glass of warm salt water.
It was how they got rid of toxins and parasites. She said that you would go to the bathroom within an hour and be cleaned out. They would do this once or twice per year.
Never tried it myself, but if it worked, then it has to be the salt water process that gave them the very quick bowel movement.
Perhaps it is a mineral/water issue that causes some to get constipated from shredded carrot.

Cool idea. Yep a heaviy salted glass of water leads to a bathroom visit. but unlike laxatives its not causing diarrhea (atleast for me). Just quick transit time.

Birdie

Just a thought- if carotene is the problem .why not juice it, dump the juice and eat the remaining fiber/pulp?
Much more surface area than shredding (saves my hand too) and much less carotene.
I like your creativity.. Ray says it's important to not chew the carrot too thoroughly. I think the pulp after juicing might be too fine. Not sure but I'd ask Ray on that one.

Somewhere Ray said to rinse if you want to get some of the beta carotene out.

rayfan1

I like your creativity.. Ray says it's important to not chew the carrot too thoroughly. I think the pulp after juicing might be too fine. Not sure but I'd ask Ray on that one.

I just have been eating one ? directly. Then take a spoon of MCT oil and throw salt, grating it and making salad is too much of work for my morning rush. I would believe we can never make it into fine pulp as a juicer would. Never understood why we should grate it into vertical strands like everyone shows in their blogs. Any science behind the grating? Thanks!

koky

i

when i asked ray if just slicing my carrot and soaking in umi vinegar and olive oil would be as effective as grating, he said yes, just chew thoroughly

LucyL

Good question. Carotene is a powerful antioxidant. One of the strongest.
"Anything that can be oxidized and reduced (melatonin, estrogen, tryptophan, carotene, etc.) will function as an antioxidant in some system, but in other circumstances, it can be a pro-oxidant." - Vitamin E: Estrogen antagonist, energy promoter, and anti-inflammatory

"The reason for the menopausal progesterone deficiency is a complex of stress-related causes. Free-radicals (for example, from iron in the corpus luteum) interfere with progesterone synthesis, as do prolactin, ACTH, estrogen, cortisol, carotene, and an imbalance of gonadotropins. " - Menopause and its causes

TheSir

Do you know how much salt it was? I tried this with some carrots and ~1-2 teaspoons of sea salt in warm water. It's been five hours and I still haven't pooped.

L

Lord Cola

I think vinegar can be irritating and make digestion problems worse. Adequate fat seems necessary for avoiding irritation from the fiber.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals