Carrot — Does It Have to Be a Salad??

marko9437

Why is everyone talking about carrot salads? Can't I get the same benefits from just eating a whole carrot as a hand fruit?

supercoolguy

Why is everyone talking about carrot salads? Can't I get the same benefits from just eating a whole carrot as a hand fruit?
Go for it.

Shredding the Carrot length ways (Top to Btm) Greatly Maximizes the Surface Area of the Fiber that can drag & capture along your intestinal track.
Its like your eating 3 but Without the extra undesirable carotene. Easier to chew also. With a tsp of Olive or Coconut Oil.

Go ahead and shred-up 7-8 in advance. and mix in some Salt & Apple Cider Vinegar. Refrigerate in a Glass container. Then with each serving you can experiment with... I like Fresh Garlic or a capsule of Powder Ginger, both work great.
Get fresh White or Yellow carrots if possible. (Orange i believe has more carotene)

Just shred a couple for now to try it!

edit:
It can be a Very Powerful tool. I dont think theres a pharma drug that could even come close to the Short and Long Range benefits. Esp if you do it for continuous periods of time...Anywhere from 3 to 7 days in a row is great. By then my stash is gone. Start over as needed.

Last edited:

equipoise

Wait, carotene is undesirable? Why?
Carotene blocks thyroid.

Marko, I strongly advise you to read up on Ray's articles if you are serious about it and to take your time to absorb everything. There's so much gold in these forums, and the search function works perfectly.

Ray is not your flavour of the month nutritionist, the man is talking about complex subjects, they are not easily absorbed, nor are they easily put into practice (well for most people that is). There's a lot of experimenting to be done, and a lot of reading up. Have fun!

DennisX

Well when you chew the shredded carrot and swollow, it will have the same surface area in your stomach and intestine as chewing the whole carrot and swollowing

David PS

The carotene (beta-carotene) in raw carrots is much less bioavailable than the carotene in cooked carrots. So carotene is less of a concern when eaten in a raw salad.

In addition, the raw fibers in a carrot are not very digestible. My recollection is that the purpose of eating raw carrots is to sweep some of the estrogen out of your body.

edit - I am not certain if the fiber in cooked carrots operate in the same way in your body. I just try to follow what Ray Peat suggests.

Last edited:

Austin Resch

Go for it.

Shredding the Carrot length ways (Top to Btm) Greatly Maximizes the Surface Area of the Fiber that can drag & capture along your intestinal track.
Its like your eating 3 but Without the extra undesirable carotene. Easier to chew also. With a tsp of Olive or Coconut Oil.

Go ahead and shred-up 7-8 in advance. and mix in some Salt & Apple Cider Vinegar. Refrigerate in a Glass container. Then with each serving you can experiment with... I like Fresh Garlic or a capsule of Powder Ginger, both work great.
Get fresh White or Yellow carrots if possible. (Orange i believe has more carotene)

Just shred a couple for now to try it!

edit:
It can be a Very Powerful tool. I dont think theres a pharma drug that could even come close to the Short and Long Range benefits. Esp if you do it for continuous periods of time...Anywhere from 3 to 7 days in a row is great. By then my stash is gone. Start over as needed.
Good response!

Have you found any difference in terms of perceivable benefit when consuming carrot salad away from meals, compared to with meals (before vs during vs after meal)?
Any thoughts on blending the raw carrots into liquid compared to shredding?

Well when you chew the shredded carrot and swollow, it will have the same surface area in your stomach and intestine as chewing the whole carrot and swollowing
I seem to agree with this idea, I find when chewing the whole raw carrot it would at best be a very marginal difference in surface area if it were to be shredded. But in this case, why not simply blend it into a liquid? It would just be that shredded makes adding vinegar + EVOO easier, since that might be weirder to add to raw whole carrot?

AnoushF

Good response!

Have you found any difference in terms of perceivable benefit when consuming carrot salad away from meals, compared to with meals (before vs during vs after meal)?

I seem to agree with this idea, I find when chewing the whole raw carrot it would at best be a very marginal difference in surface area if it were to be shredded. But in this case, why not simply blend it into a liquid? It would just be that shredded makes adding vinegar + EVOO easier, since that might be weirder to add to raw whole carrot?
Well blending it defeats the purpose of the fibers actually scraping the intestinal walls. I don't think shredding it vs just biting a carrot makes a noticeable difference though.

supercoolguy

Try it.....Try it. They are Carrots!
You could pulverize a bunch of carrot but that liberates the carotene, try it once is no big deal, get the white/yellow if possible.

Make it into a chunky pulp and try it. Youll need a few extra to make a full glass, in this instance I would do that Last thing about 45min before lying down. The idea being peristalsis will be accelorated at night with a mass like that chugging through ya. Remember some salt & ACV. I like a Capsule of Ginger to increses transit speed even more. (or Fresh Crush garlic)

My orig post stands. Only to add, I like between meals best.
(Sometimes ill have a CS side dish w/meals, Like If im eating pizza)

supercoolguy

Why white/yellow, bud? They're much less tasty.
Less Carotene. White are more peppery.
Good response!

Look, When Dr.Peat tells me to shred the carrot length wise to increase surface area. I Figure its Highly probable Dr.P is on to somthing thats Worth a Try,

Try this side by side: Shred 3 carrots. Then Chew-up 3 and compare.

Perceive-Think-Act:
Chop the Top off and Notice the structure of the carrot is wound in a circle around the core. By sliding The peeler gadget top to bottom, it Splices & Opens up to a nice flat double sided structure. Many Many Times Over as you keep peeling around & around.

Not to mention After the Salt, Oil & ACV, You barley have to chew.

If you cant take the time to Make a 5 day batch, then by all means Chew one on demand.

I can tweek this further yet!

Last edited:

Perry Staltic

I don't get the concern over carotene. It is a powerful antioxidant that prevents peroxidation of pufas. It's over 1200 times more powerful than vitamin C is at quenching singlet oxygen reactive oxygen species.

mrchibbs

@Perry Staltic

That's true it's not inherently bad, but in susceptible people it is thyroid suppressive. I don't think a carrot will do it though. A glass of carrot juice, for sure.

@marko9437

Part of the intestinal benefits of the carrot salad is also as a delivery system for coconut oil/olive oil/vinegar/salt which are all antiseptic.

Austin Resch

@Perry Staltic

That's true it's not inherently bad, but in susceptible people it is thyroid suppressive. I don't think a carrot will do it though. A glass of carrot juice, for sure.

@marko9437

Part of the intestinal benefits of the carrot salad is also as a delivery system for coconut oil/olive oil/vinegar/salt which are all antiseptic

what would be better between ACV or regular white vinegar ?

Perry Staltic

@Perry Staltic

I can't find info that says carotene is thyroid suppressive. I do find that carotene builds up when it can't be converted to vitamin A due to low thyroid function.

mrchibbs

I can't find info that says carotene is thyroid suppressive. I do find that carotene builds up when it can't be converted to vitamin A due to low thyroid function.

It's a matter of debate, it has been discussed on the forum before.

supercoolguy

Regular white vinegar I suppose
White Vinegar is derived from Corn. OG ACV just tastes better in the mix.
BUT iF i had to I would use a Splash of Quality White Vinegar (from a glass bottle) Probably pretty strong in the gut. Would work fine.

I use White Vin for Cleaning, Food, Counters, Coffee Pot. ect.