Carrageenan Nasal Spray

schultz

I saw an article discussing a new nasal spray that one would spray 4 times daily into the nose that would "capture" any viral particles that would normally be exhaled, and how it could be used in people to prevent the spread of COVID. I was immediately curious as to what the substance would be and whether it would be toxic, especially considering the placement of the product. It turns out it's a carrageenan nasal spray. I had to laugh...

While I was searching for articles on the spray I found out about another product (also a nasal spray) which uses nitric oxide (which is easy to figure out considering the name is SaNOtize)

Apparently the carrageenan nasal spray is not a new idea. Some studies from a few years back found it to be more effective than the flu shot in certain age groups...

I'd be interested in its long term effects considering how inflammatory and carcinogenic it is.

tankasnowgod

I saw an article discussing a new nasal spray that one would spray 4 times daily into the nose that would "capture" any viral particles that would normally be exhaled, and how it could be used in people to prevent the spread of COVID. I was immediately curious as to what the substance would be and whether it would be toxic, especially considering the placement of the product. It turns out it's a carrageenan nasal spray. I had to laugh...

While I was searching for articles on the spray I found out about another product (also a nasal spray) which uses nitric oxide (which is easy to figure out considering the name is SaNOtize)

Apparently the carrageenan nasal spray is not a new idea. Some studies from a few years back found it to be more effective than the flu shot in certain age groups...

I'd be interested in its long term effects considering how inflammatory and carcinogenic it is.

Along the lines of this, Linus Pauling also wrote of the effectiveness of Nasal Vitamin C-

When experimenting with this, I thought to try niacinamide. That turned out to be a bad idea. There was a nasty bitter/burning feeling, from what I remember. Didn't last long, but was unpleasant enough to where I never wanted to experiment with that again.

Perry Staltic

Trial in Argentina using ivermectin and carrageenan had good results. There's no way to know how effective carrageenan was by itself because ivermectin has proven effective alone, but carrageenan's mechanism seems sound.

Betadine nasal spray is available retail. You could probably make a spray yourself using Iota-Carrageenan. Both are available on Amazon.

Perry Staltic

Comment on Amazon Betadine page addressing same concern

Carrageenan has been used in food products for over 100 years. Some scientists have put forth evidence when taken orally it can cause inflamation in the GI system, chronic inflamation can lead to Colon Cancer. The evidence has been disputed by other scientists who looked at the methods used to come to that conclusion. So the product is not banned and still used in food products, especially those that are vegan as it is used as a gelatin substitute for vegan recipes. But for the purposes of this nose spray, this spray is not for oral use, so even if small amounts are ingested it is not likely to cause any kind of GI inflamation.

chrisjmay

I had to laugh...

It's either that or be horrified. There's not enough in our food. Let's do lines of it.

carrageenan's mechanism seems sound.

Grasping at straws but it would only be useful as an adjunct, to increase uptake through increased gut and brain barrier permeability. But then it causes inflammatory issues on its own, this is well known. Can you explain your understanding?

Perry Staltic

It's either that or be horrified. There's not enough in our food. Let's do lines of it.

Grasping at straws but it would only be useful as an adjunct, to increase uptake through increased gut and brain barrier permeability. But then it causes inflammatory issues on its own, this is well known. Can you explain your understanding?

It coats the inside of the nasal passage with a gel slowing or preventing viral cellular entry. It's probably expelled as boogers, so just don't eat them if you're worried about the stuff. It's not for long term use.

chrisjmay

It coats the inside of the nasal passage with a gel slowing or preventing viral cellular entry. It's probably expelled as boogers, so just don't eat them if you're worried about the stuff. It's not for long term use.

Maybe none is absorbed. I still wouldn't want that shite in my nose to be honest.

OP
schultz

schultz

but carrageenan's mechanism seems sound.

Yeah it does seem like it is working in some way, although I'm not sure it's the way they think it's working. I'm reading through the studies currently.

Maybe none is absorbed. I still wouldn't want that shite in my nose to be honest.

That's my feeling as well. It's hard for me to figure out if it would even be a problem being in the nose like that or if it's merely acting as a benign demulcent or something.

Although they use carrageenan to induce inflammation in lab animals (usually placing it in the body I think). I think that consuming carrageenan that hasn't been degraded is in theory safe assuming that bacteria or stomach acid don't break it down but if carageenan gets into the body (persorption) then it is problematic (or if it's contaminated with poligeenan, which it usually is). The nasal cavity provides direct access into the blood stream for drugs, which is why people snort cocaine. This actually bypasses the liver initially as well. But maybe carrageenan is not easily absorbed that way....