Carrageenan Induced Ankle Edema

LadyRae

Yeah. At the time I was doing a low carb keto based diet. I lost some weight on the diet (as do most people), but I wasn't successful at changing my body composition much. Also, I never really achieved a "flat" look in my belly. There was like an extra 10 or 20 pounds of fat that just wouldn't leave my stomach no matter how low carb I went. I was basically still fat, even though my BMI was normal, I had very little muscle. Long story short I had more pressing health concerns at the time which made me go back to carbs, I wasn't even thinking about my stomach fat at the time. I remember reading an article from WAPF website titled "recovery from low carb diets" and seemed to make things click for me. I pretty much abandoned keto right there.

I was basically a nomad for a while, I tried the WAPF protocol, which is essentially a bunch of animal fats and traditionally prepared grains. I did GAPS and high-carb paleo for a while too. Then I discovered Paul Jaminet's PHD (Perfect Health Diet) and did that for several months. I was finally introduced to Ray Peat's work through and exchange on between Paul and Danny Roddy on Paul's website. I also noticed and article Mary Enig wrote on WAPF about Peat and EFAs. It was actually a smear piece, but I think it actually ended up turning more people to Peat's work, lol. At least it did me.

By the time I was getting into Peat's work I was already convinced from prior experiences that I did best on carbohydrate based diets. Problem was I had gained some weight back on the PHD protocol. I would also get hungry to quick after meals. I wouldn't stay full feeling long, maybe and hour or two and that's all. Looking back now, I definitely think all that combined fat and starch that Paul recommends was screwing with my insulin and leptin. After I lowered my dietary fats, I noticed my hunger was extremely intense. It was really bad for about 3-4 days, then it leveled out and my appetite stared improving considerably. I can't really be sure why those first 3 or 4 days was so bad, but I literally couldn't eat enough to stay satiated. My guess is I went from a rather high fat intake to a really really low fat intake basically cold turkey.

A slower transition may have been easier, idk though. As for leptin, I started investigating why a low fat diet may have improved the sensitivity, and I basically found all sorts of contradictory information. Leptin seems to be something researches haven't really figured out yet. But there is some evidence starting to accumulate. For example, insulin promotes leptin production. If carbohydrate secretes insulin, and if FFAs (free fatty acids) cause insulin resistance, then it would follow logic that reducing FFAs and increasing carbohydrate would increase leptin sensitivity. There's also some studies showing low fat diets correct appetite and improve leptin.

Unsurprisingly, at least from the research I've seen, whatever improves insulin sensitivity also has a positive impact on leptin sensitivity as well. And considering the current models for treating insulin resistance seem misguided at best, and downright fraudulent at worst, it's no surprise that they're still confused about leptin as well. They won't solve the leptin riddle until they get on the right track about insulin.
Thank you! I'm sorry I missed the above response from you, way back in April.

I've been eating high protein, moderate carb, and low-fat for several months now and while it does make me lean, if I start increasing my physical activity then I noticed I'm hungry all the time.