Carotenemia from dairy (cheese)?

Ippodrom47

I wrote some time ago about my pretty terrible experience with carotenemia resulting from too many carrots. Since then I've ditched them and low and behold, my skin looks very much human. Or looked before I decided to reintroduce cheese two weeks ago. My fingers are turning yellow, and I can't say I feel too great. In fact, as cheese seems to be a trigger for my gastritis as well, I will be ditching it. However, I would have never thought it could trigger carotenemia. My thyroid is underactive, with T4 and T3 at the very low normal.

I wrote some time ago about my pretty terrible experience with carotenemia resulting from too many carrots. Since then I've ditched them and low and behold, my skin looks very much human. Or looked before I decided to reintroduce cheese two weeks ago. My fingers are turning yellow, and I can't say I feel too great. In fact, as cheese seems to be a trigger for my gastritis as well, I will be ditching it. However, I would have never thought it could trigger carotenemia. My thyroid is underactive, with T4 and T3 at the very low normal.
Are you using the orange cheddar?

fr@

I actually had symptoms of Carotenemia too when I started doing a Ray Peat inspired diet consistently (mid 2020).

So I stopped eating carrots for a while, then got back on it again -- but this time I:

- grated the carrots
- put it on a strainer
- washed the carrots till its orange colored juice is gone
- then just consume its shredded remains

Also, I'm not sure what kind of Cheese is it that you're getting.
'Cause if it's one of those Super Market Cheeses, you can even see in its label that's there's added Carotene in it.
Which I'm not sure why they're doing it, maybe for the color (ie. Cheddar and some Edam Cheeses)?

But yeah, from what I've heard in one of Danny Roddy's episodes (which I can't remember which).
Is that if you have a well functioning thyroid, you can get with eating raw carrots as it is without experiencing something like Carotenemia.
Since a higher Metabolic Rate requires more Vitamin-A (if I got it right)?

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

Are you using the orange cheddar?
Hi! Sorry for not replying sooner. I've tried different cheeses so I can't be sure exactly which is causing the issues. But yes, there were definitely some very orange varieties among them :) Do u think it can be from the added beta-carotene?

Well I think your answer is in your post.

TOO MANY carrots.

Try eating less carrots. I know someone who was juicing carrots- and it takes a lot of carrots to produce the juice- and they did sort of turn orangy.

Too much of anything isn’t good.

Hi! Sorry for not replying sooner. I've tried different cheeses so I can't be sure exactly which is causing the issues. But yes, there were definitely some very orange varieties among them :) Do u think it can be from the added beta-carotene?
Yes definetly!

"Beta-carotene is found mainly in plant foods, for example in carrots, sweet potatoes and winter squash, and in cheese and milk (it can give yellow color to cheese and even milk [22]. For more foods high in beta-carotene, see Chart 1 above."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals