Carotene Bioavailability And RP Style Carrot Salad

OBB

Effect of Sodium Chloride, Acetic Acid, and Enzymes on Carotene Extraction in Carrots (Daucus carota L.)

ABSTRACT: Carrot root cores were cut off longitudinally and treated with NaCl (0.6 and 1.2 M) and/or acetic acid (1.33%, 2.67%, and 4%) solutions. The extractability of the carotenes was estimated. Similarly, carrot cores were also treated with some degrading enzymes (carbohydrases, lipases, and proteases) alone or in combination to study the effect of the tissue rupture or the hydrolysis of possible complexes or interactions between carotenes and other components on the carotene extractability. The results showed that acetic acid increased the extractability of α- and β carotenes up to 99.8% and 94.6%, respectively, at a 4% acid concentration compared with the samples without any treatment. This increase was directly proportional to the acid concentration. An increase in extractability was also observed for NaCl, although the increases were not as high as in the previous case with values of 49% and 41.4% for α- and β-carotenes respectively at a 0.6 M concentration. The study of microstructural changes and extractability revealed that the enzymatic treatments could have broken some carotene complexes and interactions and altered the carbohydrate matrix structure, increasing to a certain extent the extractability of carotenes. It can be concluded then that pickling with 4% acetic acid is a good method to increase the extractability of α- and β-carotenes.

As a new member I can't post links so please google to find the study. I do not have access to the pdf to check time of exposure to acetic acid and NaCl needed to achieve mentioned above increase in availiability of carotene and this information seems to be critical for RP style carrot salad and hypothyroid issues. Would be great if someone can check this information and post about.

Birdie

I'm not sure how this info fits in with the idea that we want to limit beta carotene availability. The theory is that few people are able to convert it to vitamin A. I think the idea is to eat them raw with salt, a little lemon or vinegar and coconut oil to keep them acting as sort of cleaners in the intestine. You don't want them digested, but to keep going to the end and out. That's how I see our approach anyway.

We aim to get vitamin A from more reliable sources where conversion from beta carotene isn't needed...

grenade

My immediate thought is: how logg were the carrots "pickled" in the salt & vingear solutions?

It is very possible that a long soak in these solutions could increase bioavailability. But this is pure speculation.

Could you pm me the link to the study?

Gl;itch.e

I don't need this study to prove that way too much beta carotene is absorbed from carrot in my own experience. Even eating them whole and raw without salt or any prep at all lead to me noticing some rather obvious yellow/orangey build up in my hands/calluses.

Travis

It's absorbed both whole and split into two molecules of retinol/retinaldehyde.

The carotene cleavage enzyme is in the intestine.

image02254.gif

Birdie

Here is some good info from Mittir:

"My understanding is that eating carrot salad after sunset is risky and problematic.
Digestion slows down after sunset and RP recommends eating easily digestible
food for dinner. There is a potential for fermentation. Eating with meal can
minimise the benefit of carrot and increase absorption of beta carotene.
Excess beta carotene is anti-thyroid. Some people eat raw carrot with breakfast
or lunch, even 1 hour before meal should increase the effectiveness of raw carrot.
I have increased fiber from fruits like cooked apple, ripe banana ( not peaty but it helps
with BM) and safe vegetables like zucchini since stopping raw carrot.
I think you can experiment with eating raw carrot salad during day time
1-2 hour before meal and days you can not do that use cooked mushroom
and other source of soluble fiber with or without meal. Fiber increases
gut motility, except for some toxic fibers most fibers are beneficial.
I add coconut oil with fruits and vegetable for extra antimicrobial effect."

Momado965

I don't need this study to prove that way too much beta carotene is absorbed from carrot in my own experience. Even eating them whole and raw without salt or any prep at all lead to me noticing some rather obvious yellow/orangey build up in my hands/calluses.

Hypo symptoms. Vitamin A

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals